Have you seen this fantastic project for Doomsday???!

edited 2012 Jun 4 in DOOM
LOOK Doom Ascension: http://www.doomascension.com/screenshots

I only was looking for better models, and accidentally I've found this really incredible project, and this guys are doing this! :-O

http://www.doomascension.com/_/rsrc/131 ... guy_01.png
http://www.doomascension.com/_/rsrc/131 ... imp_02.png
http://www.doomascension.com/_/rsrc/131 ... imp_03.png
http://www.doomascension.com/_/rsrc/131 ... man_03.png
http://www.doomascension.com/_/rsrc/131 ... man_05.png

I hope this guys finish them, this really looks great!

See ya!

Comments

• WooW.

Great Screenshots :D
  • Yeah its a promising looking project. I've had the privilege of seeing an early version of some of these models and can vouch for their quality.
  • Those look excellent, and I would use them as a replacement to the current ones, as long as death animations, damage stages, and nice effects are also part of these models like they are with the current ones.

Edit: I just looked at the final shot and the effect of the body parts looks nice. It would be nice if someone could upload a video of it to see the effects and all in action to determine if they have all the nice effects of the current models.
  • Hello DaniJ,
    I have browsed Newdoom every Day in old times. What is happend to it?
    There was so MUCH great work on this forum:(

You did great work on Doom - Thank you very very much! Of cource Dr. Doom did too....:)
  • That imp is.... very nice. I sure hope we get a new model pack soon, and one that isn't broken. These models are much better, and I assume the animations are present.
  • webangel wrote:
    I have browsed Newdoom every Day in old times. What is happend to it?
    There was so MUCH great work on this forum:(

New Doom abandoned its news page and stopped hosting sites (the later including Doomsday); hence Doomsday moved.

There was also a murky issue around the same time, of New Doom's owner trailing a pay to post scheme on it's forum (i.e. you could make a few posts a day, but had to pay to post more).
  • wtf!
    This is really sad. This was a great forum once upon a time!

I hope this project is going on........

Edit:
    Hello Vermil,
    I think I know you too. Did you ever released your Wolfenstein Mod?
  • Nah, my Wolfenstein for Doomsday mod collapsed after the team fell out.

I did release a 'Corridor 7: Alien Invasion' mod for Doomsday though:
    http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/5 ... vasion-tc/
  • Vermil wrote:
    Nah, my Wolfenstein for Doomsday mod collapsed after the team fell out.

I did release a 'Corridor 7: Alien Invasion' mod for Doomsday though:
    http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/5 ... vasion-tc/

I will probe your Corridor 7.

Well, the great work from Doom Ascencion it's impresive, I tell you guys.

See ya!
  • I looked at the site. Hopefully the project will play out to the very end. If it does, it would be amazing. Looks like it has a long way to go though. If it does not get completed, hopefully the stuff that is done can be released ;)
  • Hello,

Im part of the team working on this project, though I have not actually contributed much at the moment except help convert the models for use in Doomsday, I can say its coming along very well.

I dont want to say too much as I prefer just sitting in the back and leaving communication to the community for Niuhaka (the project leader) to feedback to.

Just be reassured that the animations are spot on, they will have proper death sequences and special effects etc etc

So in other words...it will be awesome!

I also have a side project im working on at the moment for Doomsday, its very different to this and when I have 'something' to show I will do. See what you guys think.

Anyway, its good to see Doom Ascension getting noticed and people eager to get their hands on it :)

PS - Its funny, all this hard work, effort and dedication put into 3D models and all you guys are going to do is blow them apart lol
  • Well, only the monster models and barrels will be blown apart. Looks like your project plans to incorporate upgraded models for everything, including decorations. I wonder what the decorations will look like in comparison to the ones in the newest available pack. No doubt they will look good.
  • Don't be so quick to declare the JDRP models as bad; computers and video cards weren’t as powerful back then (5+ years) as they are today.

To make clear though, hardware isn't the only thing that affects performance; things like the way Dday1's renderer works also have a performance impact.

Certainly, the Ascension models do look very nice in still shots (as I posted in the Doomworld thread ages ago) and the fact that they are being done by a small group of people will help that all important consistency between them.

But I wonder more about how they animate; the state based model system all Doom ports use on account of Doom’s state based mobj handling (i.e. that mobs in Doom jump instantly to state types and that the models animation must fit into the original state lengths), can make decent animation very difficult.
  • Is that post towards me? I didn't say the models are bad. I'm using Kingennio's pack. Also, I already know about how obsolete or un-optimized software affects performance regardless of hardware because it can't take full advantage of the hardware and has to be rewritten to know how to do so.

Also, 5 years ago, they could easily make better models than what is in the JDRP, and 2006 computers could easily run the JDRP without slowdown if the Doomsday engine was optimized up to 2006 standards, which it wasn't. I played Hell Core 1 and 2 (or was it Hell Revealed 1 and 2) and when 30 or so revenants were displayed at once, it slowed down the system no matter my hardware because of lack of optimization, and an upgraded graphics card didn't change anything. They could make models better than even Kingennio's pack even 9 years ago when Doom 3 came out without much slowdown, if you had a very high end 2004 PC, I think. So even by 2006 standards, the model pack was obsolete, and kingennio's pack upgraded mostly non-monster models and upgraded very few monsters. The archvile could really do with an upgrade and even the Nintendo 64 makes better model detail than the detail of the current archvile. Those models have easily been around longer than 5 years, I think. I'm not sure how long the pack has been around because I discovered and started using Doomsday as late as fall of 2006, just over 5 years ago.

But even the older model pack before Kingennio's is superior to the sprites, and I do like the models because besides being models, they do have nice effects that are not present in many games with more detailed models.

But Ascension is at least 10 times more detailed than the current models, and even the Ascension models' details are considered obsolete even by Doom 3 standards (2003), but that is perfectly fine with me and they ARE superior to Doom 3 when it comes to effects, no doubt.

So to sum it up, I like the current models in certain ways and I look forward to Ascension. Keep up the good work.
  • bcwood16 wrote:
    Hello,

Im part of the team working on this project, though I have not actually contributed much at the moment except help convert the models for use in Doomsday, I can say its coming along very well.

I dont want to say too much as I prefer just sitting in the back and leaving communication to the community for Niuhaka (the project leader) to feedback to.

Just be reassured that the animations are spot on, they will have proper death sequences and special effects etc etc

So in other words...it will be awesome!

I also have a side project im working on at the moment for Doomsday, its very different to this and when I have 'something' to show I will do. See what you guys think.

Anyway, its good to see Doom Ascension getting noticed and people eager to get their hands on it :)

PS - Its funny, all this hard work, effort and dedication put into 3D models and all you guys are going to do is blow them apart lol

These models are in MD2 format? Maybe it's better to wait until Dengine will support the new model format...?
  • What does the new model format do that makes it better? Support for certain things, like normals? Maybe the currrent format is the reason normals aren't supported?
  • Firstly, we have not yet looked into what model formats we'd like to support. We've got some ideas but thats about all at this stage. Nothing has been decided.

And second, the MD2 format already includes vertex normals, though I expect you meant normal mapping? Regardless, normal mapping is also possible with MD2 models (though I wouldn't attempt it due to the quantized vertex coordinates (a.k.a. "vertex swimming")); its not the model file format which is the deciding factor here, its the internal model format used by the renderer.

All supported model formats are read into one internal model format used by Doomsday. This internal format is what would be extended to implement normal mapping.
  • I had no idea this project even existed! What great-looking models.

I find it best not to get excited about mods and fan-created projects; having been disappointed so many times in the past, due to eagerly following a mod's progress.. only to see it die, fall apart or sit forever in a semi-released state. I suspect we've all seen those depressing message boards for 'dead' mods and FCPs, the community largely fallen silent, the last post dating from over a year ago, save for a couple of plainative "is anyone still working on this mod?" posts lurking near the top. VIsiting there is like watching the tumbleweed in a ghost town.

I've therefore learned not to be too hopeful about cool-looking projects, and always assume the worst.. but... wow... it's very tempting to add this one to my watch list.
  • Ergates wrote:
    I had no idea this project even existed! What great-looking models.

I find it best not to get excited about mods and fan-created projects; having been disappointed so many times in the past, due to eagerly following a mod's progress.. only to see it die, fall apart or sit forever in a semi-released state. I suspect we've all seen those depressing message boards for 'dead' mods and FCPs, the community largely fallen silent, the last post dating from over a year ago, save for a couple of plainative "is anyone still working on this mod?" posts lurking near the top. VIsiting there is like watching the tumbleweed in a ghost town.

I've therefore learned not to be too hopeful about cool-looking projects, and always assume the worst.. but... wow... it's very tempting to add this one to my watch list.

I agree with everything you said. I really hope this project gets completed, but I will not cross my fingers. It certainly does look promising. If it ever is released, I'm sure it would be awesome. I am also hoping the animations turn out nicely. My theory is that animations are the most significant part of a model. A "bad" model and skin can look decent with great animations, but a perfect looking model and skin can look terrible with bad animations. I've seen so many Quake models that look excellent in screenshots, but absolutely silly in the game because of how stiff and ridiculous they move.