1.9.7 Candidate Testing

167891012»

Comments

• Vermil wrote:
    But the bi-weekly builds are set to continue, so as soon as they are fixed, we will probably be able to test drive them.

More like tri-weekly.
  • Do you think that's wise, considering there are still a lot of bugs introduced in ringzero? I'm worried our bug reports will just get lost in the bug tracker (among the hundreds of other bug reports in there). I still don't consider this build to be stable quite yet. It still loads slow, and detail textures in WAD files still don't work (Daniel Norton's detail textures). I'm sure there are more bugs, too... I think it's a little too hasty to call it stable and close this thread.

Was the Cacodemon bug ever solved either?
    Wrong. The issue with the detail texture pack was fixed, so too the issue with the flying creatures moving into one another. Please do report all these issues that are supposedly there because other than the slowdown that some people are experiencing when trying to use broken add-ons, I can't think of any.
  • Wrong. The issue with the detail texture pack was fixed, so too the issue with the flying creatures moving into one another. Please do report all these issues that are supposedly there because other than the slowdown that some people are experiencing when trying to use broken add-ons, I can't think of any.

You are right about the detail textures; it was my mistake. I was looking at a texture that had a missing detail texture in the pack as my test. My fault.
    other than the slowdown that some people are experiencing when trying to use broken add-ons, I can't think of any.

The addons weren't broken in build 364. As I said before, it loaded in 5 seconds for me. If it is broken, then how exactly do we fix it so it doesn't take 42 seconds to load? It's pretty annoying waiting that long every time; especially if I'm playtesting.

Also, the Final Doom bugs still exist, which I pointed out before.
  • Yeah, it doesn't make sense to blame addons when we were using the same addons in 364 but it was faster back then, so the culprit must be the build. I don't know why the devs don't realize what we are saying and don't seem to realize the slowdown. Also, LH and I are not the only ones experiencing and noticing the slowdown, and it only started happening after ringzero was merged, so that means the culprit is the ringzero merge; not broken addons. If broken addons were the reason, it would have been just as slow before the ringzero merge as after.

Even waiting for 10 seconds to start the game is a little too long, I feel. Sometimes that last bar in the loading wheel is unfilled for what feels like 10 seconds. It was much faster before ringzero. Ringzero changed something to make it less efficient with loading speed.
  • gary wrote:
    I don't know why the devs don't realize what we are saying and don't seem to realize the slowdown. (...) It was much faster before ringzero. Ringzero changed something to make it less efficient with loading speed.
    You're exactly right in that ringzero changed something: Doomsday does more things during startup now than before. Don't worry, we do understand it is significantly slower compared to #364 and are investigating/planning what to do about it.
  • Sounds great. Thank you. :)