Multiplayer Hosting Issues.

Sorry for 3 threads of questions, but I'm having trouble hosting a multiplayer game. I want to simply host a coop server that my brother can join, but I wasted 5 hours tonight trying to do it. I opened the console and typed the following commands:
net-port-control 7777
net init
net server start

A game started up on my end, but my brother could not join. When I type net info, it shows the IP as being 0.0.0.0:7777. I plugged my internet directly to my computer and disabled all firewalls, and it still shows this IP address. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Which version/build of Doomsday are you running? In the recent builds, game hosting is only supported in dedicated mode. I intend to still make some improvements to game hosting before the stable 1.9.7 (e.g., add a simple UI for it).

0.0.0.0 means that the server is listening on all available network interfaces.
  • So if I dedicate a server, what IP do I use to join my own server?
    127.0.0.1 I guess.
    127.0.0.1 or "localhost".
  • Ok, and does the other person join using the IP found on http://www.whatismyip.com/ ?
  • Ok, and does the other person join using the IP found on http://www.whatismyip.com/ ?
    If the other person is not on the same local network as you, then yes (e.g., joining via the public internet from another city or house). If the other person is on the same local network (e.g., WLAN), you should use "ipconfig" (in Windows cmd prompt) or see the network interface properties dialog.
  • Ok, I'm able to join my own dedicated server now, but when I join I can't move or anything. When I start, I'm floating in the air and can't do anything. What's going on?
  • Thats a known issue in the current release, the camera orientation is not tracking the local client mobj. If you roll back to build #332 and host your own server - you should be able to look around.
  • So technically, the newest build has no multiplayer support.

I guess I'll have to use 332 then...
  • 332 works but it seems to have some switching/firing weapon bugs. Also when the player dies, he changes colour
  • Hmm, I think I'll just wait until these issues are resolved. I don't feel like rolling back the version.

Edit: I tried 332 for the heck of it, and the chaingun bullets passed right through the imps and did not hurt them in coop. This is definitely too unstable to play for now.
  • Most people have reported good success playing multiplayer games, certainly I've been playing online myself recently and other than the current issue with the camera orientation; there are no real show stoppers.

Try disabling all your addons and see if that makes any difference.
  • They already were disabled. I'll experiment more with it tonight, and send more detailed bug reports.
  • My brother and I are trying to play multiplayer again (we have yet to have any success getting it to work). I hosted a dedicated server, and my brother was able to join for once. However, for some reason the both of us cannot join at the same time. If I join my own dedicated server and he tries to join, it gives the error "New Client Connection refused: Duplicate ID B78e3024). From=2, i=1"

Any idea how to fix this? I'm using build 364.

Edit: Ah, I got it to work. I had to delete client.id in Snowberry\runtime on his computer, since it was a duplicate of mine. Another question though: how do I enable cheats? I changed multiplayer cheats in jdoom.cfg to "1" in the config file, but that did not work. Is there something else I have to do? Also, can I pause the game if I'm the admin? Do I have to log in as the admin? What is the command for that?
  • how do I enable cheats? I changed multiplayer cheats in jdoom.cfg to "1" in the config file, but that did not work. Is there something else I have to do?
    Set the cvar "server-game-cheat" to 1 on the server. However, we are currently not allowing the use of all cheats (e.g., "give w" should work).
    Also, can I pause the game if I'm the admin?
    Currently it is not possible to pause multiplayer games.
    Do I have to log in as the admin? What is the command for that?
    Try the commands "login" (and "logout").