idea: corvus model showing holding different weapons

edited 2012 Nov 28 in Addons for Heretic
hey all.

i totally love playing heretic, and sometimes i like to play from 3rd person view as well.
and i noticed that the current corvus model always shows holding the staff, no matter what weapon you have equiped, while in doom the marine model actually shows holding the weapon you have equiped.

it would be so cool if someone would also make variations of the corvus model holding different weapons so the model actually shows holding the model you have equiped just like in doom with the jdrp.

i would sooo love to see that, since i play heretic a lot more then doom, and think its a shame corvus doesnt show with different weapons just like the space marine does in doom

Comments

• Yes, it would be great, but I do not think that it is easy. Will need to add not only weapon models, but also change the character animation. It should have been done in the beginning, when the model is created, and now - probably easier to make a new model. But of course, I may be wrong, I'm not an expert in modeling.
  • shouldn't be too hard, as long as you have the model rigged up with a skeleton for animating
  • That shouldn't be! I remember specifically animating certain weapons from the weapon pickups! Oh well... :(

Well, if people are playing multiplayer, then maybe I should finish this other, newer Corvus model instead of decorations... ;)
  • that would be good
  • yes that would be so awesome if you would psychikon. your models and animations look amazing.
    it would be so awesome if you would make corvus model holding all weapons.
    ive always missed that in heretic and think it looks rather silly that corvus is always holding the same weapon.

i could easily live with waiting a bit longer for decorations if we're finally gonna get a corvus model which actually holds the weapon you got equiped. :)) :))

please make that psychikon!
  • Well, it will take a little bit longer to do the Corvus model than to do decorations, but I had already started on him before I'd done any decorations. I stopped, 'cause I thought that multiplayer was broken or unpopular at the time! :D
  • PVSPVS
    edited 2013 May 25
    Great!
    I am probably at risk, but would like to say something more about the Corvus-model.

I noticed that Corvus has 3 death state:
    1) normal (shows the current model - Corvus lying on the floor);
    0_b8be7_a671fe38_S.jpg 0_a455c_2a602360_S.jpg 0_b8be8_d6589629_S.jpg

2) Corvus burns in the fire, in this case - nothing from him is (do not see in the current model);
    0_b8be4_2b020e05_S.jpg 0_b8be5_55d6bd5_S.jpg 0_b8be6_5e1e0022_S.jpg

3) Corvus breaks in part - on the floor are lumps from him (do not see in the current model);
    0_b8bdf_5b2cb5c8_S.jpg 0_b8be2_5f82c95e_S.jpg 0_b8be3_cbcef0a1_S.jpg
    ..........flying head.....
    The latter two states can easily see if the shot to the Corvus of the rocket launcher!

Also, now the model is not implemented the conversion of Corvus in Chicken, both on behalf of the player,
    and outside. What is likely to need to build up a new - 10 th HudWeapon?!
    0_b8bdd_acfb310_S.jpg 0_b8bde_1036389a_S.jpg 0_a455b_26e6f1f_S.jpg

That I had in mind - when I said that is not easy and we need to change the Corvus animations.
    (Guys, you can see those pictures from the Russian server?)

Psychikon, I just want to help, and does not ask you all to realize this! Might just be useful information?
    Probably - do it yourself well know.
    Any improvements it is good for jHeretic and players who play in it. But of course - you know better what to do as. I'm just a little present - how to make the models. I modific and try finish old model of Shadowsphere - this is the highest achievement of my.
    :)

PS
    Guys, write such big posts in English and technical language - it is very difficult for me. I read in English much better. I think you do not understand me correctly. You tell me, if I can - try again.

PS-2
    I've never played in a Heretic multiplayer. In the single, I sometimes laugh when converted monsters in chickens.
    Most recently, I strongly laughed - when my friend accidentally turned me into a chicken in LAN-game!!! Since I do not know, that the players can transform other players in chickens! In the Raven - come up with fun!
    he he...
  • awesome psychikon, cant wait to see the new player model with different weapons from you!
    all your other models look amazing, so im sure the new corvus will be great!

looking forward to seeing it
  • Thanks! :) I wish I could do better...
    I want to show an update on the Corvus, but I don't want anyone to be anticipating it too much, because I keep spending so little time on it. Even when I have free time, it seems like I am always scared to run into difficulties or that it won't be good enough when I get it done. I think that's the real problem right there: a lack of confidence. Also, not much experience. Most of what I've done has been for this sourceport; besides that, there have been a few Oblivion models which were lost with an old hard drive, and also some other stuff, such as models used for rendering sprites for a GameMaker game which was also lost.

The main problem with the Corvus model that I keep being frustrated subconsciously about (which affects my progress) is this: to make a complete model, I'll want different weapons also. For the different weapons, I'll have to create the models for those, which should also be recyclable for weapon pickups. To model those, it would be wise to first model the more detailed HUD models, and then do those others. You know what I could do, though? I could just release it in stages, kind of like the gargoyle was. Yeah, so first release, expect there to only be a wand like in the sprite. After that, I have the knowledge to implement the other weapons already, but just need time for modeling them.
  • PVSPVS
    edited 2013 May 25
    I think, I understand correctly what you mean. I think the Corvus model is the most complex of the models in jHeretic, and is almost certain - that it is much more complicated than the player model in jDoom! If it is done entirely. I see that in the current Corvus state contains only one weapon model for the outside view, knew, that for the rest of the weapons needed to create new models, animations, and possibly much more... I said - it can not be easily and quickly at the beginning of the topic. Of course, it's my understanding of this.

Psychikon - you make a new model from scratch? Or use the old Corvus body?
    But in any case - do not worry, I'm sure, this forum does not contain people who will say - go, go faster! I think everyone here does what he likes! And even if his work will appreciate a few people (not millions) - it will still do it, because he likes this thing! And if you do not interesting Corvus now - leave it, do what you like best! (I hope you understand me correctly...)

If I can help with something - you tell me. Though I do not help you technically, but I have a somewhat complex ideas at the expense of Corvus model.
    As for me, I'm interested in any progress! And if it will be release a step by step - I'll be glad of it too.

Possibly off-topic. I have selected some, I think not bad screenshots. This is not the last state in jHeretic, I have not yet managed and connect all the new models, which you did, but they can be interesting to see someone. I put them in one archive (23Mb): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16645572/jHeretic2011.zip

Very funny this screenshot:
    0_a453b_c0dd88bb_M.jpg
    As in a circus: Lich looks representation - Gargoyle on Weredragon!
    ;)
    At these screenshots seen a lot of work of many people! I think - it's a great job and I like it!
  • Haha! And yes, I understand you correctly. Well, I do want to do Corvus, but I may benefit from doing other things first. I don't like to leave things undone, but I think I will have to change how I am working on it. I was working on a completely new model. I found a good sculpting program and played with it a little today. If I get a little used to it, I think I'll sculpt a new body and make the simple model for the game much more complex, to the point where it will look very nice.
  • cant wait to see any updates about the new corvus model. and any updates will be welcome, im excited to see your progress on it.

all your models look amazing. hope to see screenshots or so soon. any are welcome. and we can try giving constructive commentary for it :)

but take your time of course, id rather wait long and have an amazing model then that you try to finish it quick in exchange for quality. quality always goes above speed, and making something amazing takes a lot of time. i know that, ive tried making 3d-models too long ago. i was amazed to see the amazing quality of your props and the imp/afrit models. it are the highest quality models there are in any doom/heretic/hexen port.

yours look so real and detailed, and the animations look fluently and realistic, unlike nearly from every other model which almost all look rather cartoony and lack detail and have choppy and static animations

anyways, again, take your time and dont rush the corvus model. id rather have you take long and make an amazing model then that you rush it and the model doesnt look as great as it could be.
  • Honestly, I've been getting lazy, and I am encouraged to start back up on it again. I don't know why, but I get so apathetic about EVERYTHING lately. It's enough to drive me up the wall! That is, except I am too apathetic to go up the wall. I would go up about halfway and then sink back down. :(
  • mystique wrote:
    cant wait to see any updates about the new corvus model. and any updates will be welcome, im excited to see your progress on it.

Well, I will put the Heretic II style Corvus alternate model on hiatus then, and just concentrate on the original style for now, especially as it is easier. I did a body sculpt, but now I'm starting to do the shirt, and the pants may be altered a little for the original Corvus, but not too much. I can show you the sculpt and also how the face looks so far, but that's basically it for now. Everything else is easy besides this part, and I think I got discouraged with trying to do the alternate one first and keeping the original til afterward. I haven't even begun on the cloak or gloves yet, but that's ok.

http://oi53.tinypic.com/2cyji43.jpg

http://oi52.tinypic.com/11mc8qr.jpg
  • Psychikon wrote:
    mystique wrote:
    cant wait to see any updates about the new corvus model. and any updates will be welcome, im excited to see your progress on it.

Well, I will put the Heretic II style Corvus alternate model on hiatus then, and just concentrate on the original style for now, especially as it is easier. I did a body sculpt, but now I'm starting to do the shirt, and the pants may be altered a little for the original Corvus, but not too much. I can show you the sculpt and also how the face looks so far, but that's basically it for now. Everything else is easy besides this part, and I think I got discouraged with trying to do the alternate one first and keeping the original til afterward. I haven't even begun on the cloak or gloves yet, but that's ok.

http://oi53.tinypic.com/2cyji43.jpg

http://oi52.tinypic.com/11mc8qr.jpg

looking pretty good so far. I have always preferred the original Corvus compared to the Heretic II version.
  • yeah, i agree. that looks great so far. wish i could model like that.

and i agree with elysian, the heretic1 version of corvus is nicer then the heretic2 version.
    in heretic2 he looks way to skinny and not warrior-like imo.

heretic2 corvus looks more like a fast runner or an anorexia-patient rather then a hardened warrior like he's supposed to be

anyway, the corvus model looks quite amazing so far, especially the top picture.
    you got eye for detail, and i love detailed stuff

it looks kinda like a generic model now, but thats of course cuz it doesnt have hair and such yet and its only a start
  • well you never at least for me never see his face so having the H2 face with H1 body would make the best character of them all.
  • Ah but when multiplayer gets going full swing you'll be happy with the best possible player models. Anyway I will. I'm for all the eyecandy we can get.
  • Well, the consistency in Corvus from Heretic 1 to Heretic 2 isn't altogether there. On the box art, he looks very thin-faced, kind of like a nerd for the first game. Then, with the sprites you can find in the Heretic wad, (FACEA0-FACEA3) he looks like your typical Raven Software heroic tough guy. In the Heretic II intro video, he looks like he's 40 something years old, and as an in-game model, he has a thinner face again, but looks very elvish in the body, unlike in the first game. It seems like the best way to go about it is whatever way I happen to do it, and that is basically how I posted it in the screenshot. I won't be using the hair like that unless I do a Heretic II style alternate model for player 2,3, or 4, or as a separate add-on. As it is, I think I MIGHT not continue doing so much until I upgrade this pc, or I may do some now. I was thinking of doing it for the sake of being able to use millions and millions of polygons in sculpting, but it so happened that the audio hub on the motherboard is jacked up as it is, so I'll probably end up getting a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM and perhaps even a case, since this one was also being funky for a bit, what with the custom fan failing to turn on at times, and not due to loose connections nor dust build-up. I feel bad, because I don't want to spend anything, but as it is, it'll end up costing a bunch of money. Not half as much as if I were to get a new computer with the same capabilities, but enough...
  • If I can help, let me know.
  • If I can help, let me know.
    Thank you! :D
  • PVS wrote:
    I think, I understand correctly what you mean. I think the Corvus model is the most complex of the models in jHeretic, and is almost certain - that it is much more complicated than the player model in jDoom! If it is done entirely. I see that in the current Corvus state contains only one weapon model for the outside view, knew, that for the rest of the weapons needed to create new models, animations, and possibly much more... I said - it can not be easily and quickly at the beginning of the topic. Of course, it's my understanding of this.

Psychikon - you make a new model from scratch? Or use the old Corvus body?
    But in any case - do not worry, I'm sure, this forum does not contain people who will say - go, go faster! I think everyone here does what he likes! And even if his work will appreciate a few people (not millions) - it will still do it, because he likes this thing! And if you do not interesting Corvus now - leave it, do what you like best! (I hope you understand me correctly...)

If I can help with something - you tell me. Though I do not help you technically, but I have a somewhat complex ideas at the expense of Corvus model.
    As for me, I'm interested in any progress! And if it will be release a step by step - I'll be glad of it too.

Possibly off-topic. I have selected some, I think not bad screenshots. This is not the last state in jHeretic, I have not yet managed and connect all the new models, which you did, but they can be interesting to see someone. I put them in one archive (23Mb): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16645572/jHeretic2011.zip

Very funny this screenshot:
    89d80d6e3048t.jpg
    As in a circus: Lich looks representation - Gargoyle on Weredragon!
    ;)
    At these screenshots seen a lot of work of many people! I think - it's a great job and I like it!
    Hi Put please heretik your build!
  • download link please
  • zoromo27 wrote:
    download link please
    This work I had not finished. This is not a standard build and is not currently compatible with the Snowberry and system higher than WinXP. Currently I'm not working on it, sorry. May be in the future.