Doomsday 1.9.0 Progress Update

edited 2006 Feb 26 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>danij</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the categories: Engine, Games, Version 1.9.</i>

I thought I'd update you all with our progress on Doomsday 1.9.0 It's coming on very well indeed and the bulk of the work on DMU and DAM has been completed. There is still work to do on both of these (sub)systems but for the first time in over a month, today I was actually able to compile a "working" Doomsday Engine and fly around a level (as a camera) in jDOOM and jHeretic.

This isn't possible in jHexen yet due to the missing polyobject init code (the plan is move this over to the engine but the games will be allowed a say in the init process).

Now that we've expanded all the internal map data struct limits in line with other "limit removing" ports and added various new features (automatic blockmap generation and bad texture name replacement) it is now possible to load a whole bunch of maps that could not have been ran previously in Doomsday.

For example, I was able to load both DeusVult (DV.WAD MAP05) and Phobos:Anomaly Reborn (PAR.WAD) in jDoom (due to having implemented only partial BOOM support at this stage - the latter isn't exactly playable mind (eg many doors won't open)).

Furthermore it is also possible to load any map which has not had the BSP data lumps built (eg Slige PWADs) as long as the built-in node building is activated (bsp-build 1 in the console).

Now that we've reached this stage beta4 can't be too far away :)

Comments

• Yes, I think the number one priority now is to get jHexen up and running. The polyobj init code needs to be sorted out ASAP, and then any missing DMU properties. One we have all the three games working, we can start the preparations for Beta 4.