DUMMY neds help with Ultimate DOOM

edited 2010 May 24 in DOOM
I have ultimate doom on 5 -3 1/2 in floppies. Disk 1 seems to have lost it's data sitting on shelf for years. I am a newbie so I don't know what mods, wad files, or souceports are. All I know is that I need the data thats on disk 1 in order to install the game. It is DOS based and I believe disk 1 has the exe file on it among other data. will someone take the time to help me? PLEEEEEEEEEZZZZZE!!!!!!

Comments

• open the other disks manually in windows and see if there is a .WAD file on any of them. If there is, that's all you need to run any sourceports of Doom. If you can't find it, you could download the Freedoom IWAD (main wad file, others are pwads or patch wads, which add alternate levels, graphics, etc.) and then install the Doomsday Engine with it, along with the upgraded graphics and models packs - then it shouldn't even look like Freedoom anymore anyway, but like an upgraded version of the original!
  • BAHIIWV wrote:
    Disk 1 seems to have lost it's data sitting on shelf for years.
    How do you know? Try to copy its contents to your hard drive. If you don't see errors, then it is probably isn't damaged.
    BAHIIWV wrote:
    I am a newbie so I don't know what mods, wad files, or souceports are.
    Try reading this : http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/WAD
    http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Source_port
    BTW, you're posting on Doomsday forums, and Doomsday is a source port.
    BAHIIWV wrote:
    All I know is that I need the data thats on disk 1 in order to install the game. It is DOS based and I believe disk 1 has the exe file on it among other data.
    If you have 32-bit Windows & a floppy drive, you can try to run the .exe and follow the instructions. If your Windows is 64-bit, or previous methodfails, try DosBox
  • Psychikon wrote:
    open the other disks manually in windows and see if there is a .WAD file on any of them.
    That's wrong! A floppy contains only ~1.38 mb of information, and there's no way to fit 11.8 mb Ultimate Doom IWAD into a floppy, even with compression. Also I think that floppy version was distributed as a SFX archive (because shareware I got from /idgames, just to see, was).
  • When I insert disk 1 windows (XP) tells me the disk is not formatted. I had the same prob with disk 5 but was able to fix it with scandisk. no luck on disk 1. It does not appear to have any physicl damage. It was on top of all the disk in a box stored on shelf for years. I think the data must have just leaked away
  • edited 2010 May 22
    When I try to open any of the 2-5 disks windows (XP SP3) tells me it doesn't recognize the program that created it so i do not know if they have a wad file on them. Please everyone be patient with me. I know that it must be disgusting to you pros that there are people like me in this world. Just looking for some help. Thanx
  • This game came with my first comp., an old compq with win 95 on it. I can remember there was a "set up exe that had to be run in dos
  • My new computer doesn't have a floppy drive, so I forgot almost everything about floppies. I can only recommend you to search for "floppy recovery" or similar.Alternatively, depending on your country, you can try search "download doom torrent" (shhhhh).
  • A word of warning: we do not condone warez of any shape or form, nor do we permit discussion about where to obtain it on these forums.
  • Can you believe that id Software wants you to pay $20.00 for each of these decrepit-ass games on their website?

Yes, they are great games. But come on.

They are just begging people to find one of the hundreds of illegal copies online. 20 bucks my asshole, id.
  • An altogether cheaper option is get it through Steam or the App Store. For example: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/426/
  • Hey, that's actually a really good price! Nothing a couple of lawn-mowings or a babysitting couldn't cover! ;)
  • 10 a piece makes sense. That's what they should be. What the hell is wrong with id?

Got to love Valve/Steam. :)