One Doomed Marine

I am putting the finishing touches on a review for One Doomed Marine by Alexa Jones-Gonzales. This is also my first experience with the most recent version of Doomsday (2.1) since I downloaded the Doom 64: Absolution package around the first time it came out, so I wanted to make sure that I had all my facts straight since it wasn't the greatest first impression (but I eventually found all the information that I needed to know!).

The only thing that I haven't been able to resolve - there are two versions of ODM, the one on /idgames available here and the one available on Alexa's personal website here (more specifically, the .zip package here). Doomsday sees odm.pk3 as a mod but it does not see odm-v1.1.pk3 as a mod. I know that Doomsday can SEE odm-v1.1.pk3, because it's available to be loaded as a "game data file", but of course that just causes Doomsday to bomb out.

What is wrong with odm-v1.1.pk3 that is causing Doomsday to recognize it as only base game data? Is it something that's easily fixible?

Comments

• edited 2019 Jan 22
    Something in the 1.1 info file appears to confuse the latest stable Dday 2.1. Removing that allows Dday 2.1 to see and load the 1.1 mod as a mod.

That said, 1.1 then crashes Dday 2.1 with no error message, upon trying to start a map.

That said, the mod uses the plane_move XG class, which I believe is currently disabled in modern Dday. So even if the maps were loadable, they may not function correctly.
  • edited 2019 Jan 22
    The problem with the odm-v1.1 Info file is that the "category" contains the special "gamedata" tag, which causes Doomsday to think it's an IWAD. I've now applied a fix for this in 2.1.1.

Upon loading odm-v1.1.pk3, there does appear to be multiple issues with it, starting with some incorrect DED flags. There are also several problems with the textures, which must be regressions in Doomsday's resource management compared to version ~1.9.
  • Vermil wrote: »
    That said, the mod uses the plane_move XG class, which I believe is currently disabled in modern Dday. So even if the maps were loadable, they may not function correctly.
    plane_move isn't disabled on purpose. There must be a bug that's preventing it from working for you...
  • edited 2019 Jan 22
    Sorry I got it a bit wrong; it isn't plane move XG specifically that is deliberately disabled. Rather any XG that uses dummy lines, that has been deliberately disabled.

The below error message is printed in the console:

"attempted to use a dummy line as XGPlaneMover origin. Plane in sector XYZ will not be moved".
  • edited 2019 Jan 22
    • Info file had a faulty value for the entry 'category', causing Doomsday to not list this mod. Changed category entry from '/gamedata/maps/ns' to 'DOOM'.
    • Textures folder contained three detail textures using wrong format (32-bit), causing Doomsday to crash. Since detail texture support isn't available anymore, those textures have been removed.
    • Detail.ded (detail texture definition) has been removed accordingly.
    • Music definition had incorrect syntax, one file was referenced with wrong extension, resulting in every level playing the music of final map MAP05.
    • Removed undefined flags pmf_done_d and chsf_done_d from map definitions.
    • DED files were located in subfolder auto, moved to root folder.
    The few map data related errors 'Unknown DoomEdNum <nnnn>' have been left unfixed.

Download fixed version: odm-v1.1_(deus-ex_fixed_edition).7z
  • :+1:

I need to check out why the detail textures are crashing, they should just be ignored.
  • deus-ex wrote: »
    • Info file had a faulty value for the entry 'category', causing Doomsday to not list this mod. Changed category entry from '/gamedata/maps/ns' to 'DOOM'.
    • Textures folder contained three detail textures using wrong format (32-bit), causing Doomsday to crash. Since detail texture support isn't available anymore, those textures have been removed.
    • Detail.ded (detail texture definition) has been removed accordingly.
    • Music definition had incorrect syntax, one file was referenced with wrong extension, resulting in every level playing the music of final map MAP05.
    • Removed undefined flags pmf_done_d and chsf_done_d from map definitions.
    • DED files were located in subfolder auto, moved to root folder.
    The few map data related errors 'Unknown DoomEdNum <nnnn>' have been left unfixed.

Download fixed version: odm-v1.1_(deus-ex_fixed_edition).7z

Thank you for the clarifications and for this fixed version. The music still doesn't play in my Doomsday v2.1 but ODM v1.1 actually loads with the changes. As a Doomsday initiate it wasn't immediately apparent to me why the different versions worked or did not in the most recent engine release and, of course, the one that it was developed for (v1.8.6).
  • edited 2019 Jan 23
    kmxexii wrote: »
    The music still doesn't play in my Doomsday v2.1 but ODM v1.1 actually loads with the changes.

How to setup Doomsday audio for external music files:

In the Doomsday launcher:
    1. Click on 'ESC Taskbar' in the lower right corner
    2. Click the gear symbol and select Audio from the menu
    3. Set the SFX plugin to FMOD, set the Music plugin to SDL_mixer
    4. Click 'Apply' in the lower right corner
    x8xojkleycb1.jpg

Run DOOM2 + odm-v1.1_(deus-ex_fixed_edition):
    1. Press [Shift+ESC] to open the taskbar (also accessible from the options menu)
    2. Click the gear symbol and select Audio from the menu
    3. Set Preferred music to External files
    4. Click 'Close' in the lower right corner
    ztyrbni2zz6u.jpg

The music should be audible by now, but in the event that it's not restart Doomsday and relaunch DOOM2 + odm-v1.1_(deus-ex_fixed_edition).
  • deus-ex wrote: »
    The music should be audible by now, but in the event that it's not restart Doomsday and relaunch DOOM2 + odm-v1.1_(deus-ex_fixed_edition).

Setting the Music plugin to SDL_mixer did the trick; thank you!