Flashlight

hi just wondering if anyone has ever made a flashlight for doomsday engine ? or is such a thing even possible ?

Comments

• Never heard of any such addon for Doomsday. I think with the current abilities of Doomsday's definition system it is not possible to realize such a modification. Probably skyJake knows more, though.

Brutal Doom has a built-in flashlight, but it requires a sourceport based on ZDOOM.
  • edited 2018 Oct 30
    Theoretically, one might be able to do it by replacing a weapon with a modified one that fires a dlight emitting projectile constantly. But probably not.
  • deus-ex wrote: »
    Brutal Doom has a built-in flashlight, but it requires a sourceport based on ZDOOM.

yea gzdoom have a lot of flashlight mods, its nice for darker survival type maps I had an idea for some map edits and a flashlight only being on certain weapons forcing u to that weapon for pitch black tunnels, a ambient sounds pack and my gore pack would make that look very good while the flashlight adds a bit of difficulty to the maps
  • Alternatively you could try using disposable light sources like glow sticks, i.e. a 3D model with its own light source. Or a device that can shoot flares, like in the old shooter "Descent" where the flares can stick to surfaces and emit light for a short time span.
  • edited 2018 Oct 31
    When I made Corr7TC for Doomsday, in the past, I replaced a weapon with one that called a console command that toggled light amp googles on/off (i.e switching to it turned the googles on, switching to a different weapon turned them off).

So like the original Doom3, one had the had to choose between holding a weapon or having the goggles on.
    7 { # CHAINSAW
          Owned = "1";
          Type = "cell";
          Per shot = "9999";
          Up = "COR7FLASHLIGHTUP";
          Down = "COR7FLASHLIGHTDOWN";
          Ready = "COR7FLASHLIGHT";
          Atk = "COR7FLASHLIGHT1";
          Flash = "NULL";
        };

# Flash Light

State {
      ID = "COR7FLASHLIGHT";
      Sprite = "BLNK";
      Frame = 0;
      Tics = 35;
      Action = "A_WeaponReady";
      Next state = "COR7FLASHLIGHT2";
    }

....2-36 are duplicates of above state

State {
      ID = "COR7FLASHLIGHT37";
      Sprite = "BLNK";
      Frame = 0;
      Tics = 1;
      Action = "A_FirePlasma";
      Next state = "COR7FLASHLIGHT";
    }

State {
      ID = "COR7FLASHLIGHTDOWN";
      Sprite = "BLNK";
      Frame = 0;
      Tics = 1;
      Action = "A_FirePlasma";
      Next state = "COR7FLASHLIGHTDOWN2";
    }

State {
      ID = "COR7FLASHLIGHTDOWN2";
      Sprite = "BLNK";
      Frame = 0;
      Tics = 1;
      Action = "A_Lower";
      Next state = "COR7FLASHLIGHTDOWN2";
    }

State {
      ID = "COR7FLASHLIGHTUP";
      Sprite = "BLNK";
      Frame = 0;
      Tics = 1;
      Action = "A_FirePlasma";
      Next state = "COR7FLASHLIGHTUP2";
    }

State {
      ID = "COR7FLASHLIGHTUP2";
      Sprite = "BLNK";
      Frame = 0;
      Tics = 1;
      Action = "A_Raise";
      Next state = "COR7FLASHLIGHTUP2";
    }

State {
      ID = "COR7FLASHLIGHT1";
      Sprite = "BLNK";
      Frame = 0;
      Tics = 1;
      Next state = "COR7FLASHLIGHT";
    }

• thank you very much that's useful , I didn't want to sacrifice a Doom weapon can we add an extra weapon to doomsday? or only replace ?
    I like the idea of a flare gun / limited ammo but I rather avoid a weapon type light source so probably go with a flare / glow sticks just to avoid the temptation of adding a another damage weapon.

I have already edited some maps to dark and complete dark areas for my idea and added some lights in spots for effect but that basic idea is try and keep the doom maps in their original state this is only editing the lighting.

I will try and add glowing eyes to monsters for dark areas to add spook factor and I got an ambient sound pack already. Am learning as I go but ur replies have been useful.

I am busy as I do security for a big Halloween event in my city so once this is over il have more time to dedicate and finish the gore mod.

all these mods will prob come as separate packs so u can pick and choose what u want rather then forcing the whole thing on people
  • edited 2018 Oct 31
    Dday has no ability to add new weapons, only replace.

Dday has both Map Info and console commands for globally adjusting sector light levels: 'Ambient light = 0.0/1' and 'rend-light-ambient' 0-255 respectively. But they can only be used to increase the light levels.

If they could be used to lower light levels, you perhaps wouldn't have to edit the maps.

EDIT: submitted and RFE for the ambient light options to be extended to allow the reduction of light levels in a map: https://tracker.dengine.net/issues/2290
  • @Vermil
    yea I am using doombuilder and lowering the sector brightness and adjusting lights accordingly. it takes time reloading the mod into doomsday and testing but the effect works well. il post some pics in a few days or release a demo map for you to see, the dark maps in GZDOOM was always my favourite to play and make the flames on candles / torches look great in dark tunnels.
  • the more you play with Doomsday the more you realise its nothing like GZDOOM lol
    I got my eyes sprites ready to be setup but it only replaces the current monster sprite making him just a pair of glowing eyes lol

so would I have to attach the eyes by a particle generator the same way you guys did the lost souls flames in the JDRP? or is there an easy way I am overlooking ?
  • edited 2018 Nov 2
    Dday doesn't support bright maps on sprites or textures. With textures you can use shine maps or light decorations to achieve a similar effect though.
  • @Vermil

so I would list SHOTGUY as the texture and use the offset to place it in the right place on the monster in Light decorations?

I cant find anything on shinemaps in doomsday manual tho.
  • edited 2018 Nov 2
    Sorry, the official name for shinemaps are reflection defintiions: https://manual.dengine.net/ded/reflection?s[]=reflection

Up to 16 light decorations can be placed on a texture or flat. Only 1 can be placed on a mobj state (i.e sprite) and unless you use the 'alwayslit' mobj flag, the mobj state has to be full bright.
  • edited 2018 Nov 2
    @Vermil

thank you
  • @Vermil

I tried following the doomsday manual for doing the light but no guide for putting it on a mobj state and it keeps throwing up errors I guess im doing it completely wrong
  • The mobj state needs to be full bright:

State {
    ID = "POSS_ATK2";
    Sprite = "POSS";
    Frame = 5;
    Flags = fullbright;
    Tics = 8;
    Action = "A_PosAttack";
    Next state = "POSS_ATK3";
    }

Light {
    State = "POSS_ATK2";
    Flags = nohalo;
    Color { .82 0 0 };
    Size = .4;
    }
  • @Vermil

thats what I did wrong I assigned it to the mobj ID itself lol so I used Shotguy for example and I used alwayslit.

the doomsday manual is not the most complete guide to this but I get the idea now.
    so I need to assign it to each sprite for that creature rather then the entire creature where its eyes can be seen
    ,then set the X/Y offset and finally I can use Levels to set the lightlevel where the light is visible.

• The 'alwayslit' flag does go in the mobj def. It adds a light decoration to every state of that mobj and the state doesn't have to be full bright.

Bare in mind, that if you don't provide a light def for any mobj state, Dday will attempt to automatically create one (most of the mobj light defs in Dday are by default automatic ones).
  • @Vermil

perhaps its my dyslexia getting the better of me but I am having a lot of trouble doing this on doomsday the manual is not easy for me to follow and my brain going splat lol

atm I am doing the lighting on the maps to get the maps complete and to finish doom gore.
  • edited 2018 Nov 15
    Compared to ZDoom, Dday's documentation is more programmer skewed in my opinion.