Doom Gore

2»

Comments

• Ok just letting you know I am making some progress I figured out eventually why Blood1 was applying to Barons /knights and cacodemon so now making some more blood generators to add to the gore which is this mod.

experimenting with blendrsub atm can make the particles look more like blood using that got the idea from @deus-ex told me to check out the JDRP I like the blood spray might play with that.

I missed Head_die3 so added that to my disabled list so not to generate any unwanted colour blood.

I got an idea how to make the smoke now for the Lost soul so we will see what happens.
    il post an update soon hopefully by Monday 22 October.

if I can get some feed back on the current file and that give me some idea if I should carry on editing out the blood pools on sprites or not thanks guys
  • so a update today nothing huge but I changed all the blood green/red/blue to blendrsub i like it be interesting to know what you think

@DoomsdayNinja84 try this one also let me know which you prefer
  • edited 2018 Oct 20
    Darklight wrote: »
    I have edited some of the final death sprites for some monsters and removed the pools of blood they rest in as the difference between my blood and the pool of blood was large I just did a few just to see what people think?
    • I do not like that you altered the color of the blood in the sprites of the pink demon to become brighter. They do not match with the color of the particle blood and stand out to much. I wouldn't recommend altering the sprites at all, anyway.

• Why do you let the damage particles for the skull vanish immediately once they hit the ground? Basically you have a good idea here, however I would expect that those embers would glow for a little while on the floor, cooling down until they vanish.

• The green color for the Hell Knight/Baron blood seems to be a little dark. Have you tried lighter values?
  • deus-ex wrote: »
    I have edited some of the final death sprites for some monsters and removed the pools of blood they rest in as the difference between my blood and the pool of blood was large I just did a few just to see what people think?
    • I do not like that you altered the color of the blood in the sprites of the pink demon to become brighter. They do not match with the color of the particle blood and stand out to much. I wouldn't recommend altering the sprites at all, anyway.

• Why do you let the damage particles for the skull vanish immediately once they hit the ground? Basically you have a good idea here, however I would expect that those embers would glow for a little while on the floor, cooling down until they vanish.

• The green color for the Hell Knight/Baron blood seems to be a little dark. Have you tried lighter values?

was this in reference to the blendrsub?
    I didn't edit the pinky sprites blood only removed the pool of blood it rested in but il double check the pinky again anways.

the Lost souls was just a quick add in I am gonna add some smoke to it but I like the cooling down idea il add that for next time but I think the particle glow was a nice touch I don't think I could make them any brighter with out using sprites.

barron blood is brighter on the blendrsub version posted on the 19th October just let me know which one ur referring to also do u like the belndrsub more or less?
    I think the blendrsub looks good in the way it dosnt paint the floor.

thanks for the feed back it does help give me direction and make adjustments that people prefer.

I already tested this with 3d models and I will make a separate pack when the new 3d models come out
  • Darklight wrote: »
    I didn't edit the pinky sprites blood only removed the pool of blood it rested in but il double check the pinky again anways.
    You are right, I checked the original sprites. It's curious that I didn't notice that before, probably it doesn't stand out as much with theblood effects of the JDRP that I use.
    the Lost souls was just a quick add in I am gonna add some smoke to it but I like the cooling down idea il add that for next time but I think the particle glow was a nice touch I don't think I could make them any brighter with out using sprites.
    You can add more stages to the generator and adjust the color of each stage accordingly, beginning with a bright setup,then go darker for the following stages.
    barron blood is brighter on the blendrsub version posted on the 19th October just let me know which one ur referring to also do u like the belndrsub more or less? I think the blendrsub looks good in the way it dosnt paint the floor.
    My comments are based on reviewing the October 16th version.

Somehow I felt that with the latest Gore release from October 19th the amount and size of blood pools of the Hell Knights looked over the top. That's probably due to adding "blendrsub" and the slight color changes you made. It didn't disturb me in previous releases.

Personally I do not like the "blendrsub" effect, it makes the blood look transparent, which in fact it is not. Just cut yourself to verify. :wink:

Also during my tests when fighting some Hell Knights I noticed, moving through their blood pools will make them disappear partially, and retreating backwards will make them reappear. That is probably also due to the use of "blendrsub". Just try for yourself, I checked this in Ultimate Doom, map E1M8.
  • @deus-ex
    thanks I didn't resize anything on the barons blood was just getting the colour right but if u don't like the blendrsub il go back to the original I like the look of the red blood on blendrsub tho personal taste something I can always add as a extra later as a additional option for those that prefer it freedom of choice.

I have been thinking a lot about the blood spray clouds from the jdrp pack and I think if I increase the spray amount it might make good for a gibbing blood like chainsaw or when a barrel explode a shotguy what do u think?

• @deus-ex
    ok back to the original particles removed the edited sprites from the pack.
    I made the green blood lighter see what u think it looks off to me.
    made a very quick cooling effect on the embers its very rough but just wana know is this what u r thinking ?
    but f u don't like the blendrsub il go back to the original I like the look of the red blood on blendrsub tho personal taste something I can always add as a extra later as a additional option for those that prefer it freedom of choice.
    You do not necessarily need to adjust your definition to my sole liking, I'm just giving you my opinion since you asked for it. If you favor a certain aspect in your own creation against popular opinion, then either stick to it, as you should be pleased with your own work first, or perhaps offer two versions of it, which in this particular case shouldn't be to difficult to manage.
    I have been thinking a lot about the blood spray clouds from the jdrp pack and I think if I increase the spray amount it might make good for a gibbing blood like chainsaw or when a barrel explode a shotguy what do u think?
    I like the JDRP blood spray clouds very much, so I would welcome to see you trying to include them in your creation.
  • @deus-ex
    I am making this for people here so opinions matter and I don't mind, as u said I can always make both options and as the mod develops there might be elements that people like from both mods and might work better together rather then separate.

so atm the Lost souls ember cools down just a decrease in colour / brightness ( Red ) atm but perhaps it should alternate between orange / red glow and as it cools down the colour changes decrease also slowing down until it fades out.
    Also, with the current iteration of Doomsday it is not possible anymore to add/remove/modify files in a addon folder and simply restart Doomsday with a prepared savegame for testing, like I did back then to save some valuable time, instead Doomsday will complain about any addon changes.
    For upcoming build 2850, I have made an important bug fix related to editing mods. Doomsday has been designed to be able to reload edited data files without having to restart the engine (reloading the map should be enough), but there was a bug that was preventing Doomsday from detecting when files had actually changed on disk. This has been now fixed.

So, going forward, you should be able to just refresh your mods (via the mod browser sidebar, game profile edit dialog, or the Mods tab in the game library), and Doomsday will detect the edited mods. No need to restart the engine — just unload and reload the mods in question.

(Note that if the mod doesn't specify a version number, the version will be determined based on the time stamp of the file.)

Now, if you have a savegame created with the old version of the mod, Doomsday will warn you about the different version, but it should help you then load the save automatically without having to risk it with the compatibility check ignore option.

In future builds I can still make it a bit simpler to keep your game profiles updated so they can be easily upgraded to any new versions of the selected mods.
  • @skyjake
    Wow amazing fix that will help a lot !

I’m gonna do some cleaning up on the mod for the next release atm there’s a lot of blood on damage but that was only so I see changes easily.

Red blood just needs resizing it’s notably hanging over edges makes it look messy.
    Green blood colour needs adjusting.
    Blue blood I think this pretty much perfect and it’s almost aligned to the cacodemon corpse.
    Lost souls will have the embers colour adjusted and cool down slowed abit.

To be added smoke on lost souls I got a couple ideas for this so will release two versions for testing to find which works best.

Red blood spray I think from the JDRP is cool if I can increase the cloud will make a good gibbing blood.

The last thing I want todo and this may be a separate mod but remove blood pools from the sprites and add a bleeding out blood pool instead just to match the corpses up to the mod.
  • Progress report:

since my last post I have combined blendrsub and the normal particles together making a nice effect of thinner and thicker blood in places.

I have reworked the Blood Spray from the jdrp pack removed blendrsub , recoloured the blood and removed the bouncing blood ?? that made no sense to me bouncing blood.

atm red blood has Damage blood , die blood and Blood 1 I want to add a blood spray for gibbing next.

I hope to also be able to make the same changes to green and blue blood and have the smoke for the lost souls.

so next update should see a lot of changes
    that made no sense to me bouncing blood.
    Why not? If the blood is happy and just having a good time, it starts to bounce around.

Seriously though, spilling liquids will not simply stay flat when touching the ground. Based on their individual consistence/fluidness, they splash off of the ground to a certain height, then fall back to the ground again with most of their falling speed/energy depleted. Any remaining fall energy then can result in certain droplets bouncing off. Finally the liquid stays flat on the ground, occasionally creating small pools and rivulets, dependent on their own and the ground characteristics.

that made no sense to me bouncing blood.
    Why not? If the blood is happy and just having a good time, it starts to bounce around.

Seriously though, spilling liquids will not simply stay flat when touching the ground. Based on their individual consistence/fluidness, they splash off of the ground to a certain height, then fall back to the ground again with most of their falling speed/energy depleted. Any remaining fall energy then can result in certain droplets bouncing off. Finally the liquid stays flat on the ground, occasionally creating small pools and rivulets, dependent on their own and the ground characteristics.

this wasn't a bounce like a splashing liquid this was a bounce like dropping a rubber ball lol
    it be nice to figure out the stages to do a bounce and splat but for now I just want to get the layers on the walls and floors ect I am still learning and I don't wana run before I can walk.
    perhaps u can help me figure out how to add it later
  • edited 2018 Oct 25
    this wasn't a bounce like a splashing liquid this was a bounce like dropping a rubber ball lol
    I haven't noticed it myself yet, then again the JDRP was released in 2007. At that time certain characteristics of the particle generator behaved differently to how they behave today. It's likely that the blood bounce effect looked differently/better back then.

I made a similar experience myself with a self-written effect, that added small bouncing bubbles to the nukage pools (the green acid). From a certain Doomsday release onwards, the effect wouldn't behave the same anymore, and I couldn't get it back to what it looked like before, no matter what I tried.

• @deus-ex

I guess if I add Alt Rnd and made a particle that bounced with Vector Rnd and Speed Rnd with Radius Rnd I could make a splashing effect gonna have to be 25%-50% random tho as u need blood on the floor first before u can make a splash. can u add a flat stagetouch to a bouncing particle ?
  • The flag "stagetouch" means, that a particle hitting any wall or floor will skip immediately to the next stage (if available). The current stage can still live on to produce and/or move particles for its defined life span.
  • @deus-ex
    so how do u turn a bouncing particle into a splat ? just leaving it to tick out means u just got this ball of blood how u get it to leave a nice splatter?
  • edited 2018 Oct 24
    Just look at the blood example of the JDRP. At the first few stages the particles have a bounce value of 0.3, in later stages the bounce value is changed to 0, and the particle texture "tex06" is used instead of point particles.

For easy practice simply copy JDRP's blood generator any play with it. Change values and review the result in-game until you are satisfied with it. This way you get a hang on things, at least that's how I started.
  • @deus-ex
    yep looked at the JDRP I reworked that mod remember lol the particles in that mod are two different types there's the falling bouncing particles they just fall straight down bounce and vanish. then when you see the first tex06 line that's when the blood cloud is generated.

I need to add a stage after the bounce stage then keeping the particles Momentum and speed until it hits the floor again and can be drawn as a flat. my mod has a very different lay out then the blood spray in jdrp making the different clearly labelled sections easier to work with theres no straight falling down blood anymore.
    il have to add a ALT Rnd to my damage and die blood to make the bounce and splat stage.

from the blood spray in the JDRP I just kept the cloud , removed the blendrsub and recoloured it in line with my blood and changed thickness of the clouds.
  • @deus-ex

pro tip 1: when working with a lot of red blood colour new stages bright green so u can see it lol
  • @deus-ex

ok I tried adding some bouncing particles to my ded file but the physics behave to much like a bouncing rubber ball rather then a liquid ive tried all different values and it don't look right at all.
    il finish this stage of the mod and get it uploaded for testing its starting to look more complete more advanced particles going to take me a lot more time to learn todo or if someone wana add to it they are welcome to ( long as they credit the people that helped worked on it ) I am not against having my work modified at all.
  • Here it is guys !!!
    lets list the changes !!
    1: Red blood have 2 new generators a die and a Blood 1 state
    2:Green blood has a new generator
    3:Blue Blood has a new generator

OK so all blood red/green/blue have had the Blendrsub blood added as a additional generator this creates a thinner layer of blood that I think combines well with the normal blood generator creating patches where the blood is darker and thicker.
    Red Blood now has the red blood spray from the JDRP pack this is not my work I just recoloured the blood and removed the blendrsub and removed the 3 stages of bouncing particles to tie it in with in my mod.
    also from the JDRP pack is the impact PUFF ded file since I love the bullet smoke and think it looks good with this mod yet again not my work no changes made.

Note: the only way I can see to remove Blood 1 from Barons / hell knights and Cacodemon is to include a objects.ded file and add noblood to those monsters ( Hence the impact.ded file was included as it looked better ) this stopped the Red Blood 1 generating on those 3 monsters but still allowed their own generators to work.
    if anyone got a better solution to this let me know.

I got a couple more ideas to include in this mod some gibs / smoke for the lost souls left out on this update due to still working on it and a few more I think that polish up this mod.

so feed back and suggestions are welcome