Coop MP loading deathmatch versions of the maps.

Instead of coop loading the singleplayer maps, it's loading the right maps but it's doing the deathmatch placement. ie. E1M1 has a rocket launcher and machine gun. Anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• Also if anyone knows how I can access the Master Levels through Doomsday Engine. I have all the Steam Doom wads, I'm seeing everything here but Master Levels.
  • evilnapkin wrote: »
    Instead of coop loading the singleplayer maps, it's loading the right maps but it's doing the deathmatch placement. ie. E1M1 has a rocket launcher and machine gun. Anyone know how to fix this?

Mobjs in Doom and Heretic can only be flagged to appear in single player or multiplayer; they can't be flagged separately for Co-op and DM game modes. Thus the same additional mobjs appear in both Co-op and DM game modes.

Only HeXen allows mappers to flag items separately for the Co-op and DM game modes.
    evilnapkin wrote: »
    Also if anyone knows how I can access the Master Levels through Doomsday Engine. I have all the Steam Doom wads, I'm seeing everything here but Master Levels.

The Master levels are bunch of Pwads, not Iwads like Doom, Doom2 etc. Hence you load them in Doomsday like you would a Pwad.
  • edited 2018 Mar 23
    Vermil wrote: »
    Only HeXen allows mappers to flag items separately for the Co-op and DM game modes.

There's gotta be a way to fix this though, since the console versions that do coop use the single-player maps.
    The Master levels are bunch of Pwads, not Iwads like Doom, Doom2 etc. Hence you load them in Doomsday like you would a Pwad.

I brought up the Doomsday Engine taskbar, in the lower right clicked the cog (settings) icon, clicked Data Files, then under the "Addon Packages and Folders" header in the window that pops up click "Add Folder". I selected the master folder for "Master Levels for Doom II". Then I made a custom profile that pointed to all of these in the order they're listed in the "Master Levels for Doom II" regular launcher.

The first level is fine, it's ATTACK, but after that M2 is Underhalls, and so forth.

I then added each mission one by one as their standalone custom profile, since they were all made to be pistol starts anyway. When loading ATTACK (M1 in Master Levels), it works fine. Same goes for missions 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 of Master Levels. Whenever I load any other mission, it just goes to Mission 1 Entryway of Doom 2, and if I use the levelskip cheat to get to where the Master Level level would be in that sequence (ie. skipping to level 2 which should be BLACKTWR in this case), it just takes me to the standard Doom 2 mission (Underhalls in the given example).

How do I get Doomsday Engine to load all Master Levels maps properly?

I checked the Doomsday Engine manual on PWADs and it took me to this page:

https://manual.dengine.net/modding/pwad
  • edited 2018 Mar 24
    I updated to 2.1 unstable and it didn't work either, with the added benefit of ruining the game audio. So now that I'm rolled back to 2.0.3... how do I get it to load all of the Master Levels as they were meant to be (one by one, not looking for a master.wad version)?
  • edited 2018 Mar 24

There's gotta be a way to fix this though, since the console versions that do coop use the single-player maps.

Doomsday has a server option to disable multiplayer flagged weapons yes. But I can't remember it's name at the moment.

I brought up the Doomsday Engine taskbar, in the lower right clicked the cog (settings) icon, clicked Data Files, then under the "Addon Packages and Folders" header in the window that pops up click "Add Folder". I selected the master folder for "Master Levels for Doom II". Then I made a custom profile that pointed to all of these in the order they're listed in the "Master Levels for Doom II" regular launcher.

The first level is fine, it's ATTACK, but after that M2 is Underhalls, and so forth.

I then added each mission one by one as their standalone custom profile, since they were all made to be pistol starts anyway. When loading ATTACK (M1 in Master Levels), it works fine. Same goes for missions 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 of Master Levels. Whenever I load any other mission, it just goes to Mission 1 Entryway of Doom 2, and if I use the levelskip cheat to get to where the Master Level level would be in that sequence (ie. skipping to level 2 which should be BLACKTWR in this case), it just takes me to the standard Doom 2 mission (Underhalls in the given example).

How do I get Doomsday Engine to load all Master Levels maps properly?

I checked the Doomsday Engine manual on PWADs and it took me to this page:

https://manual.dengine.net/modding/pwad

An Iwad is the games main data file (i.e Doom.wad, Doom2.wad). A Pwad is an add-on/mod that replaces some of the Iwads data (i.e any number of maps, sprites, music tracks etc).

The console versions of Doom modify and turn the original Master Levels into a campaign like Doom2. But on PC they are a bunch of single level Pwads that have to be ran separately and are designed to be played separately.

Many of the Master Level pwads replace Map01, though some may replace later maps as they use level effects that are hardcoded to specific levels in Vanilla Doom (i.e Map07).
  • Hi Vermil,

can you recommend on what the correct order of the Master levels might be, with regards to a quote of Tom Mustaine saying that he would put Sverre's levels in the right places for the special linedefs on Map07 and the secret exit on Map15?

None of the original Master Levels PWADS use Map15, while three of them occupy the Map07 slot. And then there is the Level progression for the PSN port placing Sverre's MEPHISTO.WAD to Map15, but for Map07 it puts Jim Flynn's MANOR.WAD.
  • I don't think it is my place to tell others which order to play the master levels in.
  • Knowing your expertise in the DOOM genre I asked for your recommendation. That's quite a difference to tell someone your opinion when not asked to.

I'm fine though, should you not like to give your opinion on the matter.
  • There is no real order to the Master Levels as most of them are MAP01, and only a few have different numbers.
    I was playing the Master Levels recently and I used the level order that the Playstation Network Release used.
    Level Order (PSN Release)

Level 1: Attack
    Level 2: Canyon
    Level 3: The Catwalk
    Level 4: The Combine
    Level 5: The Fistula
    Level 6: The Garrison
    Level 7: Titan Manor
    Level 8: Paradox
    Level 9: Subspace
    Level 10: Subterra
    Level 11: Trapped on Titan
    Level 12: Virgil's Lead: 3rd Canto of Inferno
    Level 13: Minos' Judgment: 4th Canto of Inferno
    Level 14: Bloodsea Keep
    Level 15: Mephisto's Maosoleum
    Level 16: Nessus: 5th Canto of Inferno
    Level 17: Geryon: 6th Canto of Inferno
    Level 18: Vesperas: 7th Canto of Inferno
    Level 19: Black Tower
    Level 20: The Express Elevator to Hell
    Level 21 (secret level): Bad Dream

The order can be found here:
    http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Master_Levels_for_Doom_II

Regarding the DM flagged items etc., I don't think it has been implemented into Doomsday to turn it off. In Vanilla Doom you also couldn't disable multiplayer weapons from spawning. So right now you gotta use them or you will have to edit the levels yourself first.
  • Hi Milten,

I know of the PSN level order. I mentioned it in my previous post, including a web link to the DOOM Wiki source which is similar to the source you referred to. As I explained I raised the question due to this comment by Tom Mustaine (one of the Master Level authors).

I guess Tom Mustaine placed MEPHISTO.WAD to Map15 (like in the PSN map order) and BLOODSEA.WAD to MAP07 (unlike in the PSN order), as originally intended by the map author Sverre André Kvernmo (Cranium). I wonder if anyone can confirm this, and probably has a map order which differs from the known PSN order for one reason or another.
  • I am sorry, I did not see that.

I was also googling around quite a while but couldn't find anything related to the level order.

The only other level order I know of is the PSX Final Doom release, but it doesn't feature BLOODSEA nor MEPHISTO, however, the level order differs.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Final_Doom_(PlayStation)