Doomsday crashing when opening...

when i open doomsday i get this error: "Application terminated due to exception:(in GLInfo::init) Failed to initialize OpenGL

see details for complete message log contents.

here are the details:Application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday 2.0.3\bin\Doomsday.exe
Build: 2.0.3-Stable [#2464]
Created a new 32.0 MB memory volume.
[Config::read] modules/Config matches version [ 2, 0, 3, 2464 ]
Identified 282 data bundles in 0.0 seconds
Executable: Doomsday Engine 2.0.3 (Stable 32-bit #2464) Oct 1 2017 03:31:04
Command line options:
0: C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday 2.0.3\bin\Doomsday.exe
[RenderSystem > PackageLoader] Loading shader definitions from archive entry "renderer.pack/
shaders.dei" from archive in "(basedir)\data\net.dengine.client.pack"
Loading shader definitions from archive entry "renderer.pack/
lensflares.pack/shaders.dei" from archive in "(basedir)\data\net.dengine.client.pack"
(in GLInfo::init) Failed to initialize OpenGL
Application terminated due to exception:
(in GLInfo::init) Failed to initialize OpenGL

[PackageLoader] Unloading 7 packages
Restoring original display mode due to shutdown

help me now i dont know if i did something bad.

Comments

• You're less likely to get help by shouting "I NEED HELP NOW!!!!!!!!!"

However, seeing as it's the season of good will - I'll try to assist.

- Are you running Doomsday on a laptop or a desktop machine?
    - Please ZIP up and attach your full doomsday.out file
    - Have you installed the latest drivers for your video card?
  • yes,but i have a notebook and i dont know if that is a desktop machine or laptop.
    i did dont do that,thanks for that.
    i dont know how to install drivers.

and respond the first awnser and the third.

• The log messages in the first post indicate that your OpenGL drivers aren't working. If this error occurred only recently, after you've already been running Doomsday previously, you'll need to (re)install your OpenGL drivers.

I suggest you seek help in the support channels of the manufacturer of your computer or other tech support forums online. A Google search on "how to install opengl drivers for <your notebook model/make>" may also yield some useful information. Good luck!
  • k
    skyjake wrote: »
    The log messages in the first post indicate that your OpenGL drivers aren't working. If this error occurred only recently, after you've already been running Doomsday previously, you'll need to (re)install your OpenGL drivers.

I suggest you seek help in the support channels of the manufacturer of your computer or other tech support forums online. A Google search on "how to install opengl drivers for <your notebook model/make>" may also yield some useful information. Good luck!

k
  • k
    The log messages in the first post indicate that your OpenGL drivers aren't working. If this error occurred only recently, after you've already been running Doomsday previously, you'll need to (re)install your OpenGL drivers.

k

but i dont know
  • k

k

but i dont know

my model of the notebook :,(
  • Perhaps a Google search on "how do I find the model of my notebook"...
  • edited 2018 Jan 20
    This is also happening to me, still, with the later 2.x versions. And I've upgraded my Mac to Sierra (not High Sierra) and am current with the updates. Other apps seem to work fine. Everything else being equal, I'm beginning to wonder if it's my monitor resolution that's doing it. Does anyone know if Nvidia is dropping support for older/lesser resolutions from it's current drivers? Gaming resolutions I mean.
  • @HiloJoe Do you have a doomsday.out log file that I could check out?

In general, on the Mac Doomsday does not change the monitor resolution but instead you can adjust the rendering resolution of the game view, leaving the rest of Doomsday rendered at native display resolution.

When a game is loaded, you can do this by adjusting ⚙ > Renderer > Pixel Density.
  • That makes sense. I've got it working now and am looking into the Addons at the moment, to rule them out. I'll post more when I finish testing them.
  • Ok, here's the output from the crash (on initial run) of v. 'doomsday_2.0.3_x86_64.dmg': Saved with TextMate. Crashes on startup, never opens a window, no display.
  • edited 2018 Jan 28
    Ok, I found this on an Apple discussion board. Don't know if it's true or not. If it is it explains everything:

Quote:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCI
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0869
    Revision ID: 0x00b1
    ROM Revision: 3454
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:

Note: The card appears to be 32bit only (The Mac CPU & Bus are 64bit). Can anyone confirm this?
  • The 5/3/15 edition of Doomsday (Snowberry v1.6) seems to be working fine on my '09 Mac Mini now.
  • HiloJoe wrote: »
    Ok, here's the output from the crash (on initial run) of v. 'doomsday_2.0.3_x86_64.dmg': Saved with TextMate. Crashes on startup, never opens a window, no display.
    According to the crash report, it looks like the problem is with Doomsday checking the contents of your data files. It is most likely that there's a bug in Doomsday's file system code that's causing the problem.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce this kind of crash on my computers, so debugging it is somewhat difficult...

I could try adding a new option that disables the multithreaded file system code, which might be a sufficient workaround.
  • Let me try this first: I'll sequentially remove data files to another directory. It may go faster if I try to target the data files by some criteria, say, earliest file date or some such. I'll post back when I have some results to show. Thanks for looking into this skyjake!
  • I added this: https://github.com/skyjake/Doomsday-Engine/commit/bd9ab716bd2601700dfa32589a12c2b202d0fc76

However, for now it'll only be in the unstable 2.1 builds, although you might be able to give that a try, too. I can make a 2.0.x candidate build a bit later.
  • Thanks! I'll give that a try.
  • did you guys noted this is about MY problem?
  • I just wanted to add that today I too faced this issue and was able to solve it. The error I saw was as follows: "Application terminated due to exception: bad allocation"

I am using an older pre 2.0 version of the engine as I simply prefer the old setup UI, not the full screen "select a wad" ui.

This gave me little insight so inside of the Developer options I enabled "Level 2 + Dev Messages" under Verbose messages. From there I saw that Doomsday was doing a MasterWorker: GET request to http://www.dengine.net/master.php?list . After some time I saw "MasterWorker: Got reply : Received 1 servers from master bad allocation" .

It seems the game makes an API call to this old URL to find multiplayer servers. Whatever the response is in 2020 the game is unable to handle it. I used NetLimiter to simply block Doomsday from the web and ta-da it booted just fine. Sharing in case this helps someone else. When I get time perhaps I'll dig up the source and modify to exclude this call or make it an option in settings to enable/disable this.
  • I just wanted to add an update a year later. Recently re-installed windows and experienced the same issue again. I found out that by deleting the "Doomsday Frontend" folder in My Documents and letting the installer create a fresh one allowed me to play the game without having to block the internet. No idea what config in my old folder would be causing this issue but wanted to share in case this helped anyone.