Z_ChangeTag: An owner is required for purgable blocks

I try to play Heretic on linux, use wad from Shadow of the Serpent Rider. There is no music (gameplay sounds are there) and there is this error:

Z_ChangeTag: An owner is required for purgable blocks

I don't know if it's connected. I have tried choosing different audio output methods, unsuccessfully. How can it be fixed?

Comments

• This is an error related to game memory handling. One possible explanation could be that your WAD file is somehow corrupted. You could verify that it matches the information here: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/HERETIC.WAD

When does that error appear?

Could you attach the doomsday.out log here? (Change the name to "doomsday.txt" so attaching it is allowed on the forums.)

As for the music, it depends on your selected music backend. SDL_mixer should generally work on Linux also for MIDI music. If you can't get it working, you could try a Heretic music pack.
  • Sorry for the late reply.
    skyjake wrote: »
    One possible explanation could be that your WAD file is somehow corrupted. You could verify that it matches the information here: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/HERETIC.WAD

Thanks, I checked the hash sums, and both MD5 and SHA-1 coincide with the version 1.3, so the WAD seems to be fine.
    skyjake wrote: »
    When does that error appear?

When I start the "shell" (the one, where you can change audio/video/control options and so on) the error is there, in the message box in the upper right corner. Also if I start the game from CLI, this error also appears in the output.

Tonight I'm going to get the log.
  • I was not able to reproduce the issue because this time Doomsday refused to start. Strange, maybe it's because this weekend I switched over from Nouveau drivers to NVidia proprietary drivers? I suppose I should attach the log anyway, because it's also an issue. I also put the shell output that was produced when I ran "doomsday" into shell_output.txt.
  • As I thought, the earlier refusal of Doomsday to launch was somehow connected to nvidia driver. When I switched back to nouveau driver (well, not permanently, I found a way to select the driver at boot time), I was able to launch Doomsday again. Both issues from before remain: no music (well, I'll try using the aforementioned Heretic music pack for that) and Z_ChangeTag warning. I attach the log.
  • Hmm, I don't see a Z_ChangeTag message in the log?
  • I checked again, and yes, this error is gone. I must have been tired when I checked it - I didn't even actually play, just launched the game and exited. Sorry.