Doomsday 2.1 frame rate issues

edited 2017 Aug 22 in Technical Support
My up to date system is Ubuntu 16.04.03 LTS with 4720hq and dedicated 960m. Doomsday version is 2.1.2423.

I can only have something like sub 20 fps at the open area of the 'No Rest for the Living' expansion pack's third level 'Canyon of the Dead'.

I have vanilla settings and zero packages loaded. Resolution is full hd. Why is the frame rate so slow?

Comments

• edited 2017 Aug 22
    How is it with the 2.0 release?

The unstable 2.1 builds currently use un-optimized graphics code for rendering the game world, and it is slower than 2.0 for the time being. I will optimize it later as necessary before the stable 2.1 is released.

This might also provide more information: http://talk.dengine.net/discussion/comment/15904/#Comment_15904
  • edited 2017 Aug 22
    I switched to dark win10 side of my system and installed 2.0.3 (64) version of the Doomsday. It was vanilla install.

I can not figure out how to get pass off files and package page to start gaming. See picture for clarity.
  • DoomRocky wrote: »
    I can not figure out how to get pass off files and package page to start gaming. See picture for clarity.
    You'll need to click on the "Select IWAD Folder" button and then pick the folder where you have one or more Doom, Heretic, or Hexen WAD files (the main WAD files of the game), for instance DOOM.WAD. After that the game selection will appear and you can launch one of the available games.
  • I added a real screenshot of my situation/problem. As far as I know everything should be all right. But how to start gaming.. ?

bz4vvjdq4t69.png
  • edited 2017 Aug 23
    As it says on the left of your screenshot, you need to setup the IWAD folder where the main game data files like DOOM.wad, DOOM2.wad, NERVE.wad, etc. are stored. You do not necessarily need to have each and every suported game installed, but at least one is required.

Currently you have added the main game data files as add-on packages, which does not work with Doomsday's concept. The term add-on refers to additional content that is not available in the original game, like hi-res texture packs, 3d model packs, MP3 music packs, that you add on to the game.

To fix your issue:
    1. remove the game data files Doom.wad, Doom2.wad and Nerve.wad from your add-on list
    2. click the "Select IWAD folder..." button and select this folder as your IWAD folder:
      c:\program files (x86)\steam\SteamApps\common\DOOM 3 BFG Edition\base\wads
    3. "Happy monster hunting, marine!"
  • edited 2017 Aug 23
    Thank you deus-ex!

I do everything by the book but selecting that IWAD folder just adds those BFG edition's wad files as packages. I am using 64 bit version of Doomsday 2.0.3 and WIN10.

As a proof of my mental capability I do managed to set everything up with my Ubuntu (Doomsday 2.1/very low frame rate) side of system.. :wink:
  • Ok, I see, let's try something else. Copy the file doom.wad from your Steam DOOM 3 BFG installation folder into Doomsday's subfolder "\data ". Restart Doomsday and check whether it detects the WAD now. Usually this is fool proof and should work 100%.
  • DoomRocky wrote: »
    I do everything by the book but selecting that IWAD folder just adds those BFG edition's wad files as packages. I am using 64 bit version of Doomsday 2.0.3 and WIN10.
    Ah, I see what the problem is. The 2.0 release does not recognize the BFG Edition WAD files; that was added in the 2.1 branch.
  • edited 2017 Aug 24
    Thank you deus-ex and skyjake!

The problem really was the BFG edition.

I just (re)bought complete packages of doom, heretic and hexen. Now everything works out of the box and I have plenty of monster hunting :smiley:

And yes, frame rates are quite high with 2.0.3 version!