Build 2387 Major Problem

edited 2017 Jul 19 in Technical Support
Build 2381 seems to work fine but build 2387 results in "Doomsday has stopped working" error from windows.

This happens before a game can be chosen to play, sometimes I get only a black screen.

I have not made any changes to windows or Doomsday that I am aware of.

If I return to build 2381 all games and the add-on packages in Doomsday seems to work fine.

Win 7 64 bit
GTX-1070
16GB DDR3 memory

Doomsday out is below:

John

Comments

• This happens to me too for a random new builds, and deleting everything (including runtime folder) and reinstalling from scratch helps me.
  • Sounds like a (new?) bug with the resource initialization. I'll keep an eye out for it...

@veirdo: Do you have an estimate how long that has been going on? Launch crashes/black screen were occurring to me quite regularly at one point, but after a few fixes I haven't gotten any on Windows of recent. I haven't tested the very latest build extensively on Windows, though, so it may certainly be broken at the moment.
  • @skyjake I catches this once I tried to upgrade from build 2353 to build 2368 to test new features you implemented. But DE crashed. Then I tried to install every build in decreasing number and run it, but DD still crashed. When I reached build 2353, my starting point which works well before, and it crashed as well I realized that something went wrong.
    I deleted everything, including runtime folder, and did a clean installation of the latest build. That's how miracle happened :)
  • As stated in my original post when I go back to Build 2381 everything seems to work, but unlike Veirdo I just load the 2381 Build on top of the nonfunctioning (for me) Build 2387.

However, this never works the first time as Doomsday.exe in the “bin” directory will be missing. So I run build 2381 a second time but use the “repair” option which restores Doomsday.exe to the “bin” file (and maybe other things that I am unaware of) allowing Doomsday to seemly work OK.

Hopefully some of this will be helpful.
  • It is possible that your crash is caused by a different bug than veirdo's, one that is related to the new package icon caching code added in 2387.
    John wrote: »
    However, this never works the first time as Doomsday.exe in the “bin” directory will be missing. So I run build 2381 a second time but use the “repair” option which restores Doomsday.exe to the “bin” file (and maybe other things that I am unaware of) allowing Doomsday to seemly work OK.
    Wow, that sounds like Windows' MSI installer system is malfunctioning. I think I have once also encountered a similar problem where a couple of files were omitted from the install, and reinstalling fixed it.

Perhaps you could also give the .zip packaged version a try, since .msi version is not working right for you?

• I'm getting the same crash on startup too. Everything was working fine with build 2381. Let me know if there's any more information that you need.
  • edited 2017 Jul 23
    I'm getting the same crash on startup too. Everything was working fine with build 2381. Let me know if there's any more information that you need.

Do you have a doomsday.out log file showing messages before the crash? Could you also try starting doomsday.exe with the "-vvv" option? (I suppose the easiest way to do that is via the Windows Command Prompt.)

@John, could you also try the same?

So far I haven't managed to reproduce this crash on my systems, but it could likely be related to which additional WADs and resource packs you have available.
  • I removed all add-on packages one at a time and when I removed Jdrp.box this allowed me to get into the beginning Doomsday loading screen.

I then restored all of the other add-on packages except for Jdrp.box & I tried running Hexen & Heretic; both loaded and the sound effects sounded OK, but the music was badly broken by repeated interruptions.

I hit the "ESC" key to bring up the "Console" and found it was actively scrolling the following:

Editor Cursor loaded
    Broadcasting 19 bytes
    [Audio System]: purging logic sound Hash...
    Broadcasting 19 bytes

This was constantly scrolling & perhaps was interfering with the sound?

This scrolling is also found in the opening screen before you choose which game you want to play.

The Doomsday.out below is with All add-on packages included so this is the configuration that will NOT allow doomsday to start. However, it would appear it is not the only problem.
  • skyjake wrote: »
    Do you have a doomsday.out log file showing messages before the crash? Could you also try starting doomsday.exe with the "-vvv" option? (I suppose the easiest way to do that is via the Windows Command Prompt.)

Sure - doomsday.out compressed and attached.
  • Thanks guys, I will take a look.
  • If there's anything else that you need then just give me a shout.
  • I don't yet have a fix for you, but here are some answers to your other questions.
    John wrote: »
    the music was badly broken by repeated interruptions.
    If music doesn't play correctly, I recommend trying to switch your Music plugin. For instance, SDL_mixer should work well on Windows.
    Broadcasting 19 bytes
    Broadcasting 19 bytes

This was constantly scrolling & perhaps was interfering with the sound?
    Those messages are normal when full log verbosity is enabled, and although they do cause some loss of performance, they should not interfere with audio output.

Note that after you have used the "-vvv" option, Doomsday will remember the log verbosity level in the future as well. To restore normal log messages you'll need to go to the "Log Filter & Alerts" dialog (found in the console popup menu, left edge of the taskbar) and change the Minimum Level to "3 - Messages".
  • If there's anything else that you need then just give me a shout.
    Please see if the next unstable build (2399) still crashes at launch. I have fixed a bug in the new code that loads package icons, like the ones present in the DHMP packages.

Applies to @John as well. :)
  • Build 2399 fixed my loading problem with all add-on packages loaded.

Switching to SDL_Mixer fixed my sound problem.

Thank you!!

• edited 2017 Jul 29
    skyjake wrote: »
    If there's anything else that you need then just give me a shout.
    Please see if the next unstable build (2399) still crashes at launch. I have fixed a bug in the new code that loads package icons, like the ones present in the DHMP packages.

Applies to @John as well. :)

Yes, it did indeed fix the crash - thank you Jaakko. :)