Doomsday unstable: no music

edited 2016 Oct 18 in Technical Support
Hello,

I can not hear music with the Doomsday Unstable version.
But I can hear sounds effects (menu...).
I use the sycraft music files.

Thank you for your help.

LGDN

Comments

• edited 2016 Aug 7
    Doomsday 2 uses SDL for music? OpenHal? Fmod? how to specify the audio driver to use?
    Or perhaps it is the sycraft music pack that is not compatible with the new Doomsday version?
  • On Ubuntu, music playback is handled either using FMOD (and/or Fluidsynth for MIDI) or SDL_mixer. You can see which audio plugin is enabled in the "About Doomsday" dialog, or by checking out the doomsday.out log file.

The unstable 2.0 builds currently only have command line options for selecting the audio plugin. (There will be a GUI selection for this soon.) The options to try are "-sdlmixer" and "-fmod".

It is also possible that some music packs are currently not working due to regressions in resource handling. I'll give it a shot myself and see what happens...
  • A quick test revealed some issues:
    • I tried downloading a music pack directly from sycraft.org. It was loaded correctly, but for some reason FMOD says the OGG files are not supported even though according to FMOD documentation the format is supported. This needs to be investigated to see whether Doomsday is passing the data correctly to FMOD.
    • I checked the "Sycraft Remixes 4" add-on from the dengine.net Add-ons page. Unfortunately the files in it are incorrectly packaged and therefore the contents are not automatically loaded by Doomsday. To make this work one first needs to unzip the file, and then create a .zip/.pk3 file where the extra root folder "jdmu-all-remix-Sycraft-v4.pk3_FILES/" is not present.

I'll take a closer look at the OGG playback situation.
  • I found a bug in Doomsday when it was starting playback of music files. Please try the next build and see if music works for you now.
  • Still no music for me with the last version.
  • Which music pack are you trying to use?
  • Hello, I too cannot get the music working in any version of Doom (Ultimate, 2, Plut or TNT). I re-did the PK3 file as per your suggestion but all I get is title music and then when I load the first level, it just recycles the menu title music again. This happens on any version of Doom. I don't have the issue with Hexen or Heretic and am using different soundtracks for those. However, for those 2 games I am using OGG vorbis files and placed them manually in the folder \jheretic\music and \jhexen\music. I tried to copy this method for Jdoom but the music just starts buzzing. Could it be a problem with the codec and JDoom only?
  • Well I figured out why my music was not working on Doomsday 2.0 or 1.15.8. In my old install of Doomsday (long before 2.0) I had an addon pk3 named the "JDoom Environment Pack." (filename jdep-ext.pk3) This file works with my original Jdoom install and provides some nice looking fog effects, and some really nice looking skyboxes.

When I use this pack with the 2.0 build it causes music to not work. I placed this pack into "\data\jdoom\auto" If I remove it, the music works fine.

Very strange. Any idea what might be the issue? Is there an updated environment pack out there?

Most of my old addons still work with the 2.0 build, including kurikai's hexen rain PK3 addon from 2006.
  • I recall hearing about this kind of an issue with the Environment Pack before. I haven't taken a closer look, but my guess is that it modifies the Map Info definitions to change the skies and fog parameters, and the new Map Infos are interfering with identifying which music tracks to play.
  • Thanks for the reply, and that would make sense. Maybe with some fiddling I can make it work....lol.
  • skyjake did you to test the skylab music packs with Doomsday 2.x ?
    I still have no music...only sound.
    you could consult my doomsday.out file content here:
    http://pastebin.com/euSCsWmv
  • I tried the -imusic option command line:
    with sdlmixer I have music and sounds
    with fmod I have only sounds
    openal does not work

1) If I don' t specify the audio driver, DDE starts with FMOD. How to configure it to start with sdlmixer as default audio driver?
    2)Do you think it's a DDE bug? Or my FMOD librairie is not correctly installed?
    3) There is no FMOD package for Ubuntu, so it's a pain for newbies to install this sound librairie. This is the reason why I hope you continue to use sdl in the future.
  • I would like to report a bug about that but I can not register on the doomsday bug tracker page http://tracker.dengine.net/account/register
  • 1) If I don' t specify the audio driver, DDE starts with FMOD. How to configure it to start with sdlmixer as default audio driver?
    This is now possible in the latest unstable build. Check my dev blog post that mentions it: http://dengine.net/blog
    3) There is no FMOD package for Ubuntu, so it's a pain for newbies to install this sound librairie. This is the reason why I hope you continue to use sdl in the future.
    The FMOD library should be included in the prebuilt Doomsday packages, so if you're using those, it should work (usually).

Also, I fixed the Bug Tracker registration page error. :)