New user - for f***'s sake!

edited 2016 Jan 18 in General
I wanted to try out this source port for Doom, I really wanted to... but honestly wtf is going on with this project when it comes to instructions? I use ZDoom and GZDoom for years now, I'm a huge emulator buff, I use a lot of source ports for a lot of games... but I have no idea how to properly set up this thing.

I downloaded the latest build, loaded up the wad... the image looked horribly stretched in 16:9 (looks like the top and the bottom is cut and the sprites are stretched) so I was like okay, let's go to the video options menu... there isn't one. Okay, let's exit the game, see if there is something in the horrendous and unnecessary UI... managed to find a very basic video options menu: no FoV, no aspect ratio options, no options to customize the OpenGL stuff etc. Okay, who cares, found a config file, edited some stuff (still no correct aspect ratio because there are these weird switched with 0,1 and 2 options - instead of actually selecting 4:3, 16:9, you know, the usual stuff - but you can't figure out what they do... apparently setting up the title and weapon stretching to "0=never" stretches everything to 16:10 because fuck logic).

I was like "fine, let's go back to the game, I have to adjust the mouse sensitivity anyway"... a mouse sensitivity option is nowhere to be found. Guess it's in the config file too, right? So that you have to exit the engine a number of times to configure a comfortable sensitivity? Fuck logic?

Then I donwloaded the addons listed... says put it into the Snowberry addon folder... no such folder in the install directory... wtf is a Snowberry? According to the wiki it's a GUI for Doomsday... so where can I download it? Isn't it already included with the base install?

I shouldn't need to research stuff for a day to set up basic functionality, configuring my Japanese FM Towns Marty emulator is easier.

Comments

• Sorry about the frustrating first-use experience, but thanks for your honest feedback! I will keep this in mind for the future.
    ZaxxerDog wrote:
    I downloaded the latest build
    Since you are new to Doomsday, I would very much recommend NOT using the latest unstable 2.0 builds. They are still being worked on rather heavily and miss several important features that are going to be in the final stable 2.0. Instead, please use the stable 1.15 releases.

The Snowberry front-end, for example, is included in the 1.15 releases but has now been removed in the unstable 2.0 builds. The front-end is required for certain basic things like loading PWADs, resource packs and other add-ons. (Well, to be more accurate, those things can be loaded via the console prompt in-game, but it is not exactly easy.)
    The image looked horribly stretched in 16:9 (looks like the top and the bottom is cut and the sprites are stretched) so I was like okay, let's go to the video options menu... there isn't one.
    When a game is loaded, the aspect ratios can be adjusted in the Video Settings dialog: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119 ... ratios.jpg

This is only shown when a game is loaded because the settings are game-plugin specific (separately stored for Doom, Heretic and Hexen).
    a mouse sensitivity option is nowhere to be found. Guess it's in the config file too, right? So that you have to exit the engine a number of times to configure a comfortable sensitivity?
    You can adjust mouse sensitivity and other such options in the Input Settings: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119 ... tivity.jpg

I will put a notice on the download page saying that the unstable 2.0 builds have the aforementioned drawbacks.
  • First: thank you for not taking this the wrong way, the comment was not aimed at starting a flamewar, frustration or anything like that. It's just a ramble about how my first experience with the engine went and I wanted to keep it honest - even if it projects frustration and dissatisfaction - and somewhat constructive. I hope it didn't end up being - too - offensive.

Honestly I got interested in trying out Doomsday because I saw it in Double Fine's "Devs Play" series when Romero presented Doom. I really like what you're doing with the game so I figured it would put an interesting spin on things for a Doom replay or two. I'll stick to the old build and give it a shot again when I have the time and your help is much appreciated (yay for mouse sensitivity and aspect ratio options and it's cool that now I know that the video options works while a game is loaded).
  • the new front end is a bit hard to navigate. luckily there was a tutorial built in unless that is gone now. it was rather usful for new people.