Doomsday 1.15 Released

edited 2015 Jun 13 in News
The stable version 1.15 (build #1616) is now available.

Highlights of this release:
  • Custom episodes. Episode (DED) definitions specify the structure of game episodes (including hubs) enabling entirely new episodes and modifying the originals.
  • MAPINFO support. MAPINFO (Hexen) definitions are now supported in Doom and Heretic, too. Note that presently only the Hexen dialect of MAPINFO is supported (ZDoom uses it's own MAPINFO dialect).
  • Improved BSP builder. Better performance and more robust interpretation of Doom map hacks.
  • Adjustable pixel density. If your GPU is on the slower side, you can improve performance by reducing game view resolution. The rest of the UI remains sharp since the display mode isn't changed. As a bonus, you can also achieve a nice nostalgic aesthetic similar to the original Doom on a VGA display.
  • UI improvements. Refinement of the Doomsday UI continues: the tutorial has been made a little nicer, savegames can be deleted via the Home/taskbar savegame selection menu, alert notifications are hidden automatically after a couple of minutes (so you don't have to keep looking at the yellow triangle icon all the time), and a dialog has been added where you can specify the MIDI soundfont file conveniently. On OS X, there is now support for retina (HiDPI) displays.
  • Set IWAD folder in the Home screen. Allows starting Doomsday without the front-end or any command line options. We are not ready to remove the frontend altogether, since you still can't select add-ons or resource packs via the GUI, but this is significant progress toward an independent Doomsday.
  • Bug fixes. Many bugs have been fixed, for example Hexen savegame problems. See the Detailed notes to see a summary of the fixes.
  • Dependencies. Many of the libraries Doomsday is built on have been updated. Qt 5, SDL 2, and C++11 provide new and improved functionality that runs better on modern operating systems.

See the release notes for screenshots and more information about what has changed since the previous stable release. There's plenty that has changed under the hood, too.

When you encounter bugs please submit them to the Doomsday Engine Tracker. Downloads and other links are available on the dengine.net front page.

- Deng Team

Comments

• this is great but one question, can we make hub style maps for other games not just hexen? if so how would one go about that?
  • Hubs are currently still HeXen only.

But the episode definitions allow one to define them externally.

Congrats on the latest release Deng Team!
  • Crashing on OS X again:
    Application path: /Applications/Doomsday Engine.app/Contents/Doomsday.app/Contents/MacOS/
                      Doomsday
    Created a new 32.0 MB memory volume.
    Config::read: /packs/net.dengine.stdlib/modules/Config.de is newer than modules/Config,
                  rerunning the script
    ^ : Detected new build: 1612 => 1616
    Executable: Doomsday Engine 1.15.0 (Stable 64-bit #1616) Jun  5 2015 15:36:39
    Command line options:
      0: ./Doomsday
    RenderSystem: Loading shader definitions from read-only archive entry "renderer.pack/
                  shaders.dei" from archive in read-only "(basedir)/net.dengine.client.pack"
    ^ : Loading shader definitions from read-only archive entry "renderer.pack/
        lensflares.pack/shaders.dei" from archive in read-only "(basedir)/
        net.dengine.client.pack"
    Joystick_Init: Joystick name: Logitech Extreme 3D
    fluidsynth: error: Not a SoundFont file
    fluidsynth: error: Couldn't load soundfont file
    fluidsynth: error: Failed to load SoundFont "/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/gs_instruments.dls"
    OpenGL 2.1 supported
    Sys_GLInitialize: OpenGL information:
      Version:  2.1 NVIDIA-10.0.31 310.90.10.05b12
      Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 OpenGL Engine
      Vendor:   NVIDIA Corporation
    Capabilities:
      Compressed texture formats: 3
      Use texture compression:    no
      Available texture units:    8
      Maximum texture anisotropy: 16
      Maximum texture size:       8192
      Line width granularity:     0.125
      Line width range:           0.5...10
    ^ : OpenGL Extensions:
    ^ :     APPLE extensions:
            aux_depth_stencil, client_storage, element_array, fence, float_pixels,
            flush_buffer_range, flush_render, object_purgeable, packed_pixels, pixel_buffer,
            rgb_422, row_bytes, specular_vector, texture_range, transform_hint,
            vertex_array_object, vertex_array_range, vertex_point_size,
            vertex_program_evaluators, ycbcr_422
    ^ :     ARB extensions:
            color_buffer_float, depth_buffer_float, depth_clamp, depth_texture, draw_buffers,
            draw_elements_base_vertex, draw_instanced, fragment_program,
            fragment_program_shadow, fragment_shader, framebuffer_object, framebuffer_sRGB,
            half_float_pixel, half_float_vertex, imaging, instanced_arrays, multisample,
            multitexture, occlusion_query, pixel_buffer_object, point_parameters,
            point_sprite, provoking_vertex, seamless_cube_map, shader_objects,
            shader_texture_lod, shading_language_100, shadow, sync, texture_border_clamp,
            texture_compression, texture_compression_rgtc, texture_cube_map, texture_env_add,
            texture_env_combine, texture_env_crossbar, texture_env_dot3, texture_float,
            texture_mirrored_repeat, texture_non_power_of_two, texture_rectangle, texture_rg,
            transpose_matrix, vertex_array_bgra, vertex_blend, vertex_buffer_object,
            vertex_program, vertex_shader, window_pos
    ^ :     ATI extensions:
            separate_stencil, texture_env_combine3, texture_float, texture_mirror_once
    ^ :     EXT extensions:
            abgr, bgra, bindable_uniform, blend_color, blend_equation_separate,
            blend_func_separate, blend_minmax, blend_subtract, clip_volume_hint, debug_label,
            debug_marker, depth_bounds_test, draw_buffers2, draw_range_elements, fog_coord,
            framebuffer_blit, framebuffer_multisample, framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled,
            framebuffer_object, framebuffer_sRGB, geometry_shader4, gpu_program_parameters,
            gpu_shader4, multi_draw_arrays, packed_depth_stencil, packed_float,
            provoking_vertex, rescale_normal, secondary_color, separate_specular_color,
            shadow_funcs, stencil_two_side, stencil_wrap, texture_array,
            texture_compression_dxt1, texture_compression_s3tc, texture_env_add,
            texture_filter_anisotropic, texture_integer, texture_lod_bias,
            texture_mirror_clamp, texture_rectangle, texture_sRGB, texture_sRGB_decode,
            texture_shared_exponent, timer_query, transform_feedback, vertex_array_bgra
    ^ :     IBM extensions:
            rasterpos_clip
    ^ :     NV extensions:
            blend_square, conditional_render, depth_clamp, fog_distance, fragment_program2,
            fragment_program_option, light_max_exponent, multisample_filter_hint,
            point_sprite, texgen_reflection, texture_barrier, vertex_program2_option,
            vertex_program3
    ^ :     SGIS extensions:
            generate_mipmap, texture_edge_clamp, texture_lod
    FMOD Sound System (c) Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2013
    Audio configuration:
      CD:    FMOD/CD
      Music: FluidSynth/Ext (MIDI only)
      Music: FMOD/Ext
      SFX:   FMOD
    Current soundfont set to: "/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/
                              Resources/gs_instruments.dls"
    Using SteamApps path: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common
    SavegameConverter: Starting conversion of "/legacysavegames/doom2/DoomSav1.dsg" using
                       Savegame Tool
    ^ : Starting conversion of "/legacysavegames/doom2/DoomSav0.dsg" using Savegame Tool
    ^ : Starting conversion of "/legacysavegames/doom2/DoomSav9.dsg" using Savegame Tool
    ^ : Starting conversion of "/legacysavegames/doom1-ultimate/DoomSav9.dsg" using Savegame
        Tool
    ^ : Starting conversion of "/legacysavegames/heretic/HticSav0.hsg" using Savegame Tool
    ^ : Starting conversion of "/legacysavegames/heretic/HticSav9.hsg" using Savegame Tool
    Locating "HACX - Twitch 'n Kill"...
     ! hacx.wad: missing
     - libdoom.pk3: "(app)/DengPlugins/doom.bundle/Contents/Resources/libdoom.pk3"
     ⇒ Not playable (incomplete resources)
    Locating "Chex(R) Quest"...
     ! chex.wad: missing
    Locating "Final DOOM: TNT: Evilution"...
     ! tnt.wad: missing
    Locating "Final DOOM: The Plutonia Experiment"...
     ! plutonia.wad: missing
    Locating "DOOM 2: Hell on Earth"...
     ! doom2.wad or doom2f.wad: missing
    Locating "Ultimate DOOM"...
     ! doom.wad or doomu.wad: missing
    Locating "DOOM Registered"...
     ! doom.wad: missing
    Locating "DOOM Shareware"...
     ! doom1.wad: missing
    Locating "Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders"...
     ! heretic.wad: missing
     - libheretic.pk3: "(app)/DengPlugins/heretic.bundle/Contents/Resources/libheretic.pk3"
    Locating "Heretic Registered"...
     ! heretic.wad: missing
     - libheretic.pk3: "(app)/DengPlugins/heretic.bundle/Contents/Resources/libheretic.pk3"
    Locating "Heretic Shareware"...
     ! heretic1.wad: missing
    Locating "Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel"...
     ! hexen.wad: missing
     ! hexdd.wad: missing
     - libhexen.pk3: "(app)/DengPlugins/hexen.bundle/Contents/Resources/libhexen.pk3"
    Locating "Hexen"...
     - libhexen.pk3: "(app)/DengPlugins/hexen.bundle/Contents/Resources/libhexen.pk3"
    Locating "Hexen v1.0"...
    Locating "Hexen 4-map Demo"...
     ! hexen.wad or machexendemo.wad or hexendemo.wad: missing
    Locating "Hexen 4-map Beta Demo"...
     ! hexen.wad or hexenbeta.wad or machexendemo.wad or hexendemo.wad: missing
    Def_Read: Parsing definition files...
    ^ : Definitions:
    ^ :   7 materials
    ResourceSystem: Model init completed in 0.00 seconds
    Game could not be selected automatically
    Segmentation fault: 11

http://pastebin.com/Rpuw8cdt
  • Disabling the checks for available updates should work around that bug. It appears there is a problem parsing the information dengine.net is providing to Doomsday.

I can reproduce the issue and will investigate...
  • We managed to address the problem by changing the information that dengine.net provides to the autoupdater. It should not be crashing any more.
  • Works, thank you.
  • My game keeps crashing playing hexen. I'm on the seven portals and and working on the switches for the secret level. When I go threw the portal from guardian of fire 3 to go back to the seven portals the game hangs every time.

If I skip trying to open the secret level everything seems to work ok besides that. I was able to open the exit and am now in shadow wood without issue. So maybe the error has to do with the secret?

I was going to add pics but cannot here I guess
  • My game keeps crashing playing hexen. I'm on the seven portals and and working on the switches for the secret level. When I go threw the portal from guardian of fire 3 to go back to the seven portals the game hangs every time.

If I skip trying to open the secret level everything seems to work ok besides that. I was able to open the exit and am now in shadow wood without issue. So maybe the error has to do with the secret?

I had something similar happen on deathkings earlier. Do you suppose you could post some error information? You should be able to run doomsday in a command line, which will produce output if you are not presented with an error dialog.
  • rhargrave wrote:
    My game keeps crashing playing hexen. I'm on the seven portals and and working on the switches for the secret level. When I go threw the portal from guardian of fire 3 to go back to the seven portals the game hangs every time.

I had something similar happen on deathkings earlier. Do you suppose you could post some error information? You should be able to run doomsday in a command line, which will produce output if you are not presented with an error dialog.
    I do not know how to do that. I have pictures of the windows crash report but cannot post here.

Here is a link to the album with the 2 pics of the windows crash data

http://s570.photobucket.com/user/Wildman1988/library/Doomsday?sort=3&page=1
    During my playthrough of Hexen I also got a single crash when coming back from Guardian of Fire to Seven Portals. I had a save game so I tried to reproduce it but couldn't. DaniJ applied some related fixes in the Map code.

It would be very valuable if you could give us a save game right before the crash that we could use to try to reproduce the crash.
    If I skip trying to open the secret level everything seems to work ok besides that.
    Hmm, that could help us debug this...
  • How do I give you my save game? I do have one from right before you enter the portal that goes back to the seven portals where it crashes.
  • The savegames should be in the folder "Documents\Doomsday Frontend\runtime\savegames\hexen". The files are named "hex*.save", and numbered with 0 being the topmost save slot in the in-game save menu, and 5 being the bottom slot. It's ok if you just zip up the entire hexen savegame folder. You can email it to me if you'd like.
  • skyjake wrote:
    My game keeps crashing playing hexen. I'm on the seven portals and and working on the switches for the secret level. When I go threw the portal from guardian of fire 3 to go back to the seven portals the game hangs every time.
    During my playthrough of Hexen I also got a single crash when coming back from Guardian of Fire to Seven Portals. I had a save game so I tried to reproduce it but couldn't. DaniJ applied some related fixes in the Map code.

It would be very valuable if you could give us a save game right before the crash that we could use to try to reproduce the crash.
    If I skip trying to open the secret level everything seems to work ok besides that.
    Hmm, that could help us debug this...
    I also got a single un-reproducible crash relating to the secret map switch on the Guardian of Fire the last time I played HeXen in 1.15 unstable; shortly after pressing the switch, as I was opening the door to return to the main area of the map, I made a save and the game crashed immediately. Though the save game wasn't corrupted (i.e it was fully useable) and I couldn't reproduce it.
  • OK I found it and its ready to be sent. I cannot find your email address though.

OK here is a question. I went and tested it 1 more time from my save game before I got it ready to send to you. Is it possible that it has fixed itself? I have been playing the game for a few hours now
  • You can see my contact information here in my forums profile.

It is possible that the crash is random in nature, so it may not always occur when trying again.
  • Unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to recreate that crash in a debug environment. However, I am fairly confident that I managed to fix it by manually tracing through the code and thinking it through. Please do let us know if you encounter that crash again though, as we'll need to look elsewhere for the culprit if you do.
  • skyjake wrote:
    You can see my contact information here in my forums profile.

It is possible that the crash is random in nature, so it may not always occur when trying again.
    I don't see it there. Only PM.
  • Got it, thanks. I'll see if it works for me...
  • the problem with the guardian of fire only seems to happen when you go though the second portal that leads there. also too distance from the main portal back seems to be a factor.
  • I went and tested it 1 more time from my save game before I got it ready to send to you. Is it possible that it has fixed itself? I have been playing the game for a few hours now
    I tried to reproduce the issue with your savegames, but couldn't. The crashing bug likely is something that gets trashed only during a longer gameplay session and thus is worked around by shutting down the engine and restoring everything from the savegame.
  • skyjake wrote:
    I went and tested it 1 more time from my save game before I got it ready to send to you. Is it possible that it has fixed itself? I have been playing the game for a few hours now
    I tried to reproduce the issue with your savegames, but couldn't. The crashing bug likely is something that gets trashed only during a longer gameplay session and thus is worked around by shutting down the engine and restoring everything from the savegame.
    Alright no problem. Thanks for taking the time to take a look at it.

I could not reproduce it myself. It happened to me a few times earlier in the day. Then I Mentioned it to you here. Then before I sent you the save game I tried it again and it was fine. Oh well. Everything else is working perfectly. Thank you
  • best way to solve this issue is to have a save game from the second portal to the guardian of fire as thats where it starts.