Vintage Doom Music - orchestrated original compositions

edited 2016 Dec 25 in DOOM
Hello.

Brought to life, a new project called
Vintage Doom Music.

Goal:
The goal is to create original compositions, which seamlessly fit into the music of Doom (1993).
Trying to expand on the Doom universe, as if it was a manifested thought, a real place that exists.
Following set rules:
  • Original music which seamlessly fit's the style of original Doom (1993).
  • Using only instruments that are part of classical orchestra.
  • There are no digital effects, no electric instruments, no amplifiers.
  • Exception to the rule: A obligatory drumkit, rarely an acoustic guitar.

Soundcloud Link

Original Post at Doomworld.com Forums

Currently there are some 20 tracks, of which 3 are uploaded.
Before proceeding I need a place to reach fellow Doom-Veterans that can share the same emotions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Some Blah-Blah:
Often misunderstood, the music of Doom (1993) is not strictly Metal.
A range from Rock/ Metal, Blues to Pop-influenced, to Electric and purely Ambient orchestral music.
Like most of the videogame music from the 90's, it was made in midi, so was the music depending on basic compositional techniques: Melody, Harmony, Rhythm.
With that tinny sound, still, it managed to conceive a range of emotions: Adrenaline, Up-Beat, Crushing, Melancholy, Suspense, Hope and Fear!

Midi-Music is an art that is getting lost in the age of industrialization of First-Person-Shooters.
- Every First Person Shooter feels the same?
- Every First Person Shooter has a mix of Heavy Metal, Epic orchestral music. Which is awesome, but becoming rather flat and tiresome.

Instead of just orchestrating Doom music, which was the initial inspiration. I began to create completely original music. Which is much more rewarding.
It then strictly follows the style of Doom (1993). As if the music is a seamless expansion of it's universe, a place that's completed and real.

Quest:
I'm looking for means to distribute, spread the project.
Dedicating a home. Where just Soundcloud, a forum-post, dedicated blog or even a website.
Yet unsure of how to proceed.

Future:
After this process, I will create a music-pack to use for Doom.
It will be a new experience, like a new view on old things, as if Doom (1993) was made again in an alternate timeline, while staying true to the original feeling.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

CURRENT LEVEL/MUSIC TRACK ASSIGNMENT LIST

MAP//////TRACK//////INFO
*=alternate choice

E1M1 TOKEN ACE
E1M2 DISPOSAL DEPOT (*WASTE PLANT)
E1M3 MENACING MARCH
E1M4 CANTEEN MASTERY
E1M5 HYPERION (*?)
E1M6 FUTURE APPARATUS
E1M7 INTEGER BURIAL (*? is also E2M5, more sinister/ambient)
E1M8 TOCCATA
E1M9 SPIRIT MACHINE (*?, upbeat rock track)

E2M1 SPIRIT MACHINE (*PAST SHOULDERS = faster pace)
E2M2 OBSCURE OCCUPATION
E2M3 INTERMISSION (*? don't like)
E2M4 NECK BREATHER
E2M5 E1M7 (*? is also E1M7/Computer Station, must be more sinister/dark)
E2M6 GRAVE DESIRE
E2M7 DEMENTED AFFLICTION
E2M8 ISOLATED (*HUNGER KEEP must be used elsewhere)
E2M9 PAST SHOULDERS (*another upbeat rock tribute)

further note: Switching E2M6 with E2M7 with each other is a interesting match, gameplay/visual/flow wise.
The guys at id Software were not gods (John Romero made the choices). Maybe they chose badly, even if they fit less with their original counterparts.

Comments

• played the 3 tracks and they all are good. the last one has some points that are to high causing a distortion affect when up there. the first one is all over the place but the base melody is fantastic so i would add sounds that complement it. the second song i here nothing wrong with it it's a great peace.
  • Well thank you I guess.

Yes, there is a slight cheat in the third track. A slight delay and degradation effect was added that would not be possible to recreate in reality. Expect something by moving the microphone during a live performance, or an echo-chamber.
    Those where the early tracks, the later ones are solely realized trough acoustics.
  • thats good to hear. also no track should have that distortion affect unless it's done right so that it fit in and moving the mic is not a valid thing unless the mic was specifically hit. all in all your doing a fine job so keep it up.
  • GRAVE DESIRE on Soundcloud Link

Description:
    A slowly paced track that's keeping the tension up.
    It's in a rare time signature of 5/4.

It's the kind of music I would like to hear if your tipping on your feet through a demon infested base, where you know a ominous presence lies behind the next corner.

Thank you very much.
  • not bad at all keep it up.

Side note the strings that just come i though at first for you to change them then wile having the track going i changed my mind as having them softer would not suit the track.
  • Hey there.

I've updated the 3rd trak
    INIT REFRESH DEMON

it was indeed clipped 125% above level.
    Thank you very much.

Way more tracks are incoming
    I will also upload in 320kbps mp3 from now on
  • thats a lot better now. keep up the good work.
  • There is some problem with my software which messes up the string articulations.
    This bug sort of creates accidental loud notes almost twice the volume.
    I tried to report to devs and hopeful they will fix it.
    Meanwhile I had to re-render each project twice in a row to prevent that from happening.
    Everything should be ok for future tracks, fortunately I could figure out that for now.

I also updated the track GRAVE DESIRE, which was affected by that problem. Also the stereo-image was reversed (yeah that happens when you work with you headphones reversed all the time <:-P - they're much more comfortable that way)

I also uploaded another track WASTE PLANT
    I almost hesitated to do that, since it's so simple.
    A stylistical close interpretation of E1M2 (Nuclear Plant). Even simpler but it captures the spirit, so.
  • not bad for the new track. some times less is more. Keep up the good work.
  • Yeah thanks.
    I hope to capture the right feeling.

Anyone can suggest what kind of track I should upload next.
    Ambient /Action.

Also if anyone feels like he can share his favorite tracks or I should take requests/suggestions.
  • one thing i think you should do is a track for the victory music but have it feel like yes i did it but then go into but i have not accomplished anything.
  • edited 2015 Apr 18
    Hello there.

That's quiet funny, I considered uploading a storymode track.
    And that is

DEFEAT

Its in contrast to looping distinct music, kind of narrative in it's way. Either a replacement for Victory music or post-endgame, if not just a spiritual extension.

Then there is another track, which is one of my favorite so far.

ISOLATED

I suggest to listen at it in it's full form, for the depressing nature there are shards of hope.

this is a stylistical take on E2M8 - Tower of Babel (Nobody Told me about id), which in it's original form is a favorite anyway. Theres not quiet a feeling like that melancholy of demon ass kicking.
  • the song you titled defeat has at the beginning some vary out of place strings but other then that it's good and isolated is just good no need to change it.

Edit: If you need help in getting the DED ready for dday once your finished I can help.
  • Of course, a little help is always welcomed.
    Other than it's basically straightforward basic scripting by looking at another music pack and assigning levels/music. But since you offer that I gladly agree.

I will need some better help in future, since all tracks so far are with a specific level in mind, there are some tracks where I unconsciously citate something of Doom but not quiet sure of what level, or where it might best fit to. So assigning a few tracks to a proper level would be some additional request in future.
  • well then i will post in here a music pack DED or rather the text form of one with all the songs that can be changed so we can keep it as up to date as possible.
  • Doom
    # jDoom: Music and Sound Effects

Header { Version = 5; }

#####====--- MUSIC ---====#####

Music { ID = "None"; }
    Music { ID = "e1m1"; Lump = "D_E1M1"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e1m2"; Lump = "D_E1M2"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\WASTE_PLANT_-_Em_Andante_(E1M2).ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "e1m3"; Lump = "D_E1M3"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e1m4"; Lump = "D_E1M4"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e1m5"; Lump = "D_E1M5"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e1m6"; Lump = "D_E1M6"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e1m7"; Lump = "D_E1M7"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e1m8"; Lump = "D_E1M8"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e1m9"; Lump = "D_E1M9"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e2m1"; Lump = "D_E2M1"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e2m2"; Lump = "D_E2M2"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e2m3"; Lump = "D_E2M3"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e2m4"; Lump = "D_E2M4"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e2m5"; Lump = "D_E2M5"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e2m6"; Lump = "D_E2M6"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e2m7"; Lump = "D_E2M7"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e2m8"; Lump = "D_E2M8"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\ISOLATED_-_Fm_(E2M8).ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "e2m9"; Lump = "D_E2M9"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e3m1"; Lump = "D_E3M1"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e3m2"; Lump = "D_E3M2"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e3m3"; Lump = "D_E3M3"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\BURIED_IN_NUMBERS_(E3M3).ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "e3m4"; Lump = "D_E3M4"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e3m5"; Lump = "D_E3M5"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e3m6"; Lump = "D_E3M6"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e3m7"; Lump = "D_E3M7"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e3m8"; Lump = "D_E3M8"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e3m9"; Lump = "D_E3M9"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e4m1"; Lump = "D_E4M1"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e4m2"; Lump = "D_E4M2"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e4m3"; Lump = "D_E4M3"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e4m4"; Lump = "D_E4M4"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e4m5"; Lump = "D_E4M5"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e4m6"; Lump = "D_E4M6"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e4m7"; Lump = "D_E4M7"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e4m8"; Lump = "D_E4M8"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "e4m9"; Lump = "D_E4M9"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "inter"; Lump = "D_INTER"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\INTERMISSION_In_Cm.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "intro"; Lump = "D_INTRO"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "bunny"; Lump = "D_BUNNY"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "victor"; Lump = "D_VICTOR"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\DEFEAT_-_Em_Andante.ogg"; }

Doom II
    # jDoom: Music and Sound Effects

Header { Version = 5; }

#####====--- MUSIC ---====#####

Music { ID = "runnin"; Lump = "D_RUNNIN"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\"; }
    Music { ID = "stalks"; Lump = "D_STALKS"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "countd"; Lump = "D_COUNTD"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "betwee"; Lump = "D_BETWEE"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "doom"; Lump = "D_DOOM"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "the_da"; Lump = "D_THE_DA"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "shawn"; Lump = "D_SHAWN"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "ddtblu"; Lump = "D_DDTBLU"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "in_cit"; Lump = "D_IN_CIT"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "dead"; Lump = "D_DEAD"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "stlks2"; Lump = "D_STLKS2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "theda2"; Lump = "D_THEDA2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "doom2"; Lump = "D_DOOM2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "ddtbl2"; Lump = "D_DDTBL2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "runni2"; Lump = "D_RUNNI2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "dead2"; Lump = "D_DEAD2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "stlks3"; Lump = "D_STLKS3"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "romero"; Lump = "D_ROMERO"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\INIT_REFRESH_DAEMON_-_F#m_(M18).ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "shawn2"; Lump = "D_SHAWN2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "messag"; Lump = "D_MESSAG"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "count2"; Lump = "D_COUNT2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "ddtbl3"; Lump = "D_DDTBL3"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "ampie"; Lump = "D_AMPIE"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "theda3"; Lump = "D_THEDA3"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "adrian"; Lump = "D_ADRIAN"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "messg2"; Lump = "D_MESSG2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "romer2"; Lump = "D_ROMER2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "tense"; Lump = "D_TENSE"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "shawn3"; Lump = "D_SHAWN3"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "openin"; Lump = "D_OPENIN"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "evil"; Lump = "D_EVIL"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "ultima"; Lump = "D_ULTIMA"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "read_m"; Lump = "D_READ_M"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "dm2ttl"; Lump = "D_DM2TTL"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }
    Music { ID = "dm2int"; Lump = "D_DM2INT"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\"; }

• Thank you.
    I've already peeked into music wads/packs in the past and I'm familar with the names like D_Bunny and E1M1 so forth, so I guess it's pretty straightforward.

I wonder if it's possible to sort of creating a poll for 'each' track and a selection of corresponding levels, although I see not a lot of sense in that, since you're the only one responding.
    I've also introduced my project to the ZDoom and Doomworld Forum's.
    Wondering here what's holding people back. I don't think the music is that bad, also I'm approaching rather differently than other music projects.

Anyway I'm having a lot of fun.
  • Note: My mother tongue is german and I only know some german "terms" regarding music, so please bear with me if I cannot fully explain what I mean in english :)

I also listened to your songs, but they are simply not my style. I usually like classic and the Doom music (via Adlib or Remixes), but yours doesn't seem to meet either one. Yes, you use classical instruments, but your style isn't the "common" classic, nor is it like the original Doom.
    I think what I mean to say is, you don't follow the "normal" harmonies (chords), e.g. Buries in Numbers. That song sounds as if the harmonies are completely off. Well, they probably are if you "think" in a classic harmony way. But also the Style (beat, etc.) doesn't use the "common" rules of classic. It sounds as if you used a style and harmony from another culture.
    Or you simply tried a new approach.

While this makes it unique and good in it's own way, most people will be used to their common music they hear. But for most people - if they are used to "common" music - it is hard or difficult to listen to songs like this, because they are simply different from what they are used to.

This is not meant insulting in any way and I hope you don't take it as such. Just my personal opinion, why not so many people are responding.
  • that may be part of it but also too we like to have completed packs to judge as most packs that are remixes or just updates of original songs are far more complete then what we have with this pack but i feel having a pack in this state is excellent as we can see the tracks as they are made. even tho i use more traditional sounding packs i like this one a lot but like you say Milten not everyone will like it. keep going Buddamaster as they are awesome tracks.
  • any more tracks on the pipeline?
  • I've uploaded 2 more tracks since the last message.
  • i see 3 new ones and the last one has an over use of cymbals so it's hard to hear the underlying track but i can hear it and what i hear is good. that track being demented affliction.
  • Milten wrote:
    Note: My mother tongue is german and I only know some german "terms" regarding music, so please bear with me if I cannot fully explain what I mean in english :)

I also listened to your songs, but they are simply not my style. I usually like classic and the Doom music (via Adlib or Remixes), but yours doesn't seem to meet either one. Yes, you use classical instruments, but your style isn't the "common" classic, nor is it like the original Doom.
    I think what I mean to say is, you don't follow the "normal" harmonies (chords), e.g. Buries in Numbers. That song sounds as if the harmonies are completely off. Well, they probably are if you "think" in a classic harmony way. But also the Style (beat, etc.) doesn't use the "common" rules of classic. It sounds as if you used a style and harmony from another culture.
    Or you simply tried a new approach.
    Hello sir.

I've read your answer and I'll take serious notice of that. I'm also german speaking btw.
    Well I've got no degree in musics of any kind. What you said is probably hitting the spot very well, I can only counter by saying that it was one of the early works and I've changed my approach a little bit since then.
    Then also I don't actually understand why the mentioned tracks sounds so awfully wrong as you noted. Is it the chorus-like part thats played by many instruments a bit into the track, or the progressive part that the track maintains in the second half?
    The latter is basically just string groups playing straight lines in 16ths, following some I-IV-V progression passing trough the groups while chromatic instruments play a little bit of decoration.
    The first instrumentated melodic fragment is actually a tribute to the melody from E3M3 Deep Into the Code, while the whole layout is basically a citation of that track, in an orchestrated manner, while probably being a bit off the wrong side :/

I would like to know what does sound like Doom for your taste?
  • what he means by sounds like doom is basically doom music or rather the styles that the games had. wile they worked for the good old dos days and are still fine i think tracks like yours do fit and will be trying to see if they fit into the levels they are made for at least the ones that have lvls to them.
  • Then also I don't actually understand why the mentioned tracks sounds so awfully wrong as you noted. Is it the chorus-like part thats played by many instruments a bit into the track, or the progressive part that the track maintains in the second half?
    I would like to know what does sound like Doom for your taste?
    I will reply to you via PM the next days (unless you want to discuss it in the Forum, so everyone can add something if they so desire). That way I can gather some examples to fully explain what I mean. What language is more comfortable for you then? German or english?

I do not have a degree either in music btw, this is just my personal opinion based on the knowledge I have about music.
  • Hello Milten.

Regarding your post, a short analysis of my music, I wanted to state a declaration.
    As I mentioned only using orchestral instruments for the Vintage Doom Music Project,
    this does not mean that those are orchestral pieces in the traditional sense, but rather of a Pop music kind.
    A good example of this style music is the track in E2M8 - Tower of Babel (Nobody Told me about id), which has in the vein of a Pop music makeup. That is the emotion I get from the original Doom music, that due it's midi-format always sounds a bit like pop-music and not strictly Heavy Metal.
    in my opinion. For this I uploaded another track called HUNGER KEEP.
    Musically it does project a similar kind of melancholy. This does work as a level music. There is always the need to not having to defining motifs, to make it bearable in a continuous loop-situation.
    That is my opinion and I completely back the music as such, even if that is a bold claim.
  • edited 2015 Jun 13
    Well, this song sounds better IMO than the rest. The choice of chords is unusual for me (A Major 7 to A Minor (?) to D Minor), but seems to be somewhat working for this song. The clarinet (or bassoon?) and pizzicato strings work as a good background.
    What I don't like: There is a flute that sets in at 1:16, which goes up, then suddenly down, barely audible anymore, instead you hear the clarinet in the foreground, as if it picked up the melody, then suddenly a sharp string sound from the left, then the clarinet and the "deep" flute again, then suddenly the flute goes high up at 1:24, back down, then back up, then it has some variation (a 2nd one is deep again), then high variation again, then some short "bursts" of the high one again. IMO it would be better to let one instrument play the melody for a while and then maybe change it?
    To me it sounds as if you couldn't decide what to actually use or as if you just threw together some random instruments and also some random patterns. Sorry if this sounds a little harsh, I do not mean to insult your work. But as a matter of fact you unfortunately haven't gotten much positve response yet (beside from Gordon) and I simply meant to explain why that may be the case. Since you said you changed your approach since the early works, I'd say you're on the right path, but who can tell what the right path is.
    In the end you have to do what you like to do and enjoy, regardless what I say or others think about it.

I simply said something cause it seems to be an interesting approach to do Doom in a fully orchestral (even if pop style) way, so I will follow your progress. I like to fiddle around with game music myself too, but I do not have the patience to do a complete work or simply lack ideas sometimes. The only song I made myself was a variation of TNTs D_EVIL.
  • my posts always find something wrong or something that could be better or they just say that the track is good like Hunger keep.
    the one thing i would recommend is to make them looping.

also too for thos who want to see if the songs work just make them into an incomplete music pack and test.
  • Hello there

*UPDATE*

I'm currently absent and focusing on real life. I'm living in a new home which is a community
    with spare psychological care. That's the stuff that happens in rl.

I will upload a bunch of the remaining tracks in the next time.
    For this I will upload some 4 random choices.
    The first one is OBSCURE OCCUPATION
    which is one of my favorite ones I'm satisfied with.
    If you listen to the track, which is based on the musical idea in E2M2
    (Containment Area a.k.a The Demons from Adrian's Pen. The one with the boxes). It started with the idea of orchestrating that track, but then it mutated and took it's own form.
    The thing is that it sounds almost like a track out of Duke Nukem 3D (with a little bit of the level-music Waterworld mixed in).
    Robert Prince which also composed Duke Nukem 3D the initial style remains compatible.
    I have no idea how anyone perceives that listening to, but I really like it myself. Give it a chance and loop it.

The next one is DISPOSAL DEPOTwhich is a diffent replacement for the E1M2 track (WASTE PLANT), tributes the idea of E1M2 that I already made previously.

The third one INTEGER BURIAL (BURIED IN NUMBERS PT2) might have a strange and off putting intro, but the music following is better.

The last one is another one SLOUGH OF DESPAIR which is a direct quotation instead of an original composition.
    It's a sort of orchestration of said track. Give it a chance or not.

Those are some of the tracks (expect E1M2) I'm not sure about where to place them.

Complete Vintage Doom Music Playlist on Soundcloud
    More tracks will follow.

@Gordon
    All tracks are made so they will loop nicely. Sometimes there is a short interplay, but they loop flawlessly (ends are cut off of straight). If they won't, it's the fault of Soundcloud or your music-player.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  • the into to obscure occupation is i do not think there is a word in the English dictionary to describe it but after that part it gets better. the into is too jarring and the other tracks are fine.