'Dev' log filter

edited 2014 Oct 12 in General
May I ask, what does the 'dev' option do to the log filters?

My assumption is that it's another sort of verbosity; in which case, why isn't it simply the top level verbosity option in the left column, which looks like a 0-5 verbosity setting?

May I ask if Dday will have an option to filter the different message types to different out files in future? I figure that would have much the same benefits as the log system filters in game.

Although I suppose doing that could also confuse users, as they would have to search through multiple out files to find the one that relates to a crash or problem they are having/had.

Comments

• I never seen someone resurrect a thread this old before in the Doomsday forum that is a weekly update. BTW, I notice weekly updates are not happening anymore.
  • gary wrote:
    I never seen someone resurrect a thread this old before in the Doomsday forum that is a weekly update. BTW, I notice weekly updates are not happening anymore.
    Split this thread appropriately. The ending of weekly updates was discussed in the Devblogs thread.
  • Raza159 wrote:
    May I ask, what does the 'dev' option do to the log filters?
    The "Dev" log filter enables log entries that are intended to help programmers when developing the engine. The idea is that without knowledge of the code, these are not so useful so regular users wouldn't benefit from having them in the logs (the entries contain pointer values and whatnot).
    My assumption is that it's another sort of verbosity; in which case, why isn't it simply the top level verbosity option in the left column, which looks like a 0-5 verbosity setting?
    It's more like a parallel "channel" of messages; although enabling it definitely increases the verbosity of the log.

The current log filtering mechanism is based around two concepts:
    • Intended audience: you can choose to enable user or developer targeted entries separately (on/off).
    • Domain: you can choose to enable specific subsystems separately (using a verbosity level setting).
    May I ask if Dday will have an option to filter the different message types to different out files in future? I figure that would have much the same benefits as the log system filters in game.
    This would be possible to do (please submit a feature request in the tracker). Currently there is the command line option "-errors (filename)" that allows saving all error/warning entries to a separate log output file. This option will not prevent the errors/warnings from appearing in the main log output file, though.