Doomsday 1.14 Released

edited 2014 Apr 20 in News
The stable version 1.14 (build #1201) is now available.

In this release we've focused on several UI improvements, particularly related to client-side multiplayer UI. We have also improved the management of savegames so that you can access them at any time — even from the Home screen when no game is loaded. See the release notes for screenshots and more information about what has changed since the previous stable release.
- Deng Team

Comments

• Congrats on the very nice release.
  • I don't think I have yet expressed how much I love this project. Playing Doom, Heretic and Hexen ist nice, but many other projects do that as well. However, what makes Doomsday stand out to me ist how well it is done and how much though is being put into the user experience. By that I mean the pleasant UI, the tutorial, the comprehensive and compact user options... anything that makes it simple for normal people to use Doomsday.

I have a few suggestions though:
    - The tutorial panels should have a "back" button next to the "continue" button.
    - There should be an option to delete savegames from the home screen.
    - There should be an option to copy logs to the clipboard (or at least write where the log file can be found)

On another note, I see that 1.15 is the last step before 2.0 on the roadmap. Is that true or did you just not get write the next steps down yet?
  • Thanks, we do try to emphasize a high quality experience. :)
    HiPhish wrote:
    I have a few suggestions though:
    Good ideas. I added them to the tracker.
    HiPhish wrote:
    I see that 1.15 is the last step before 2.0 on the roadmap
    Our most up-to-date roadmap is in the tracker. In practice, the shift to version 2.0 will be very gradual, as our plans are ambitious and cannot really be all implemented in a single step. There will likely still be many 1.x releases as we revise subsystems one by one. For instance, the new UI functionality over the past several stable releases is already fully 2.0 compliant, even though the rest of the graphics is still using the old 1.x implementation.
  • edited 2014 Apr 19
    Congrats with the release! A little but major step to modern graphics. The new UI with the tutorial looking great and user-friendly! Also I noticed a very comfortable default key-binding for using items in Hexen\Heretic on "x" key.
    The bloom post fx looks great, and working well with the particles, smooths out some issues with line-type particles rendering.
    Personally I think it would be great to have a texture mask for models and surfaces to define there the bloom effect IS, because for now some models lose contrast when bloom turned on.
  • Usual congrats on another step toward Dday 2.0 :)
  • skyjake wrote:
    Thank you for your explanation :) Do you have an estimate already how many stable releases it will take or is it still too early for that?

Another thing I have been wondering about is whether you would consider supporting similar games from other engines (post 2.0 of course). In particular the Build Engine games; I know the Build Engine is a completely different engine, that's why I'm asking. I know there is eDuke32 for Duke Nukem 3D, but it lacks the great polish Doomsday is offering. For Shadow Warrior there is no proper port at all, and even if there was one it would quickly fall behind eDuke due to less interest in Shadow Warrior than Duke 3D. That's part of what I love about Doomsday's multi-game support: if the core engine gets improved all supported games profit. If Blood could be supported on top of that it would even be icing on the cake ;) And while I'm at it I might also mention Descent 1 & 2, although the DXX-Rebirth Port is quite good already (not Doomsday-level of polish, but way better than eDuke).
  • If you do a search of this site I believe you will find this has been asked before. At present, unless things have changed I do not think Duke Nukem 3D is planned to be supported. As you say the Build Engine is very different than the Doom Engine.

Are you aware that eDuke32 can also be had in an eDuke64 (although it still may be called eDuke32)?

Are you aware that there are two engines for eDuke32 to run on? The classic Polymost engine and the completely new Polymer engine which has many visual enhancements over the Polymost engine but requires a lot more computer "horsepower" to use.

Lastly Duke Nukem 3D has high resolution graphics too (like DoomsDay) but you have download them and install them separately they do not come with the game download (like DoomsDay).
  • HiPhish wrote:
    Do you have an estimate already how many stable releases it will take or is it still too early for that?
    Sorry, it is impossible to estimate that, as we don't know how much time we'll have for Doomsday at any given time, and the prioritization of features is always changing.
    Another thing I have been wondering about is whether you would consider supporting similar games from other engines (post 2.0 of course).
    The situation regarding this hasn't changed. Our ultimate goal with Doomsday is to have it support as many games as possible, however in practice this is limited by the number of people working on the project and what their interests are. For instance, personally I have no motivation to work on, say, Descent, however I find Strife a somewhat interesting possibility.

We have been steering Doomsday 2 into the direction of a more general purpose engine — my hope is that one day also other people can use it as an SDK to support other classic games.
  • I LOVE you guys!

My new 3d models look incredible in this new environment. The lighting! What on earth! Words really can't express just how big of a leap this latest version is on the visual side of things, at least with my high poly models. The light that glows off of the 3d surfaces in outdoor areas or next to lighted objects is just... amazing... I almost feel like I'm working on a current gen project.

Thank you for all the hard work.
  • edited 2014 Apr 19
    Bloom is indeed very cool, though Doomsday has always impressively done that with its lighting effects; for instance an Imp (sprite or model) walking past a dynamic light has always been lit in 3D by said light.
  • Indeed but i'm not talking about dynamic lights. I'm talking about the nice reflective glow/aura that you get now. It's the bloom effect that causes a soft dark aura around dark surfaces and a soft light aura off of light surfaces. It is VERY tasty.
  • skyjake wrote:
    I see, that clarifies it. How feasible would it be for someone else to start adding Duke 3D support now? I do know my way around C and its related languages (Objective-C, C++, Java, C#), and I do have knowledge of various computer science topics (algorithms, data structures, state machines, ...) from classes, but I have never worked on something this big. Maybe the best way to start would be to look for an easy first task; do you have a good idea for a starting point?
  • NiuHaka wrote:
    I LOVE you guys!

My new 3d models look incredible in this new environment. The lighting! What on earth! Words really can't express just how big of a leap this latest version is on the visual side of things, at least with my high poly models. The light that glows off of the 3d surfaces in outdoor areas or next to lighted objects is just... amazing... I almost feel like I'm working on a current gen project.

Thank you for all the hard work.
    is this a tease? What high poly models do you mean? if you aren't going to share then why mention it?
  • PostFatal wrote:
    is this a tease? What high poly models do you mean?
    Not a tease. Just an appreciation post. I'm talking about my project. Been working on it for a couple of years now but we've recently gone back and started redoing the models with more triangles. Found a way to cheat the .md2 triangle limits.
    PostFatal wrote:
    if you aren't going to share then why mention it?
    Because this isn't my thread.

However, I will post some screenshots just to show what i'm talking about with the new lighting. It is just amazing what the engine does visually now. Please excuse the player's pistol which is pointing down. The weapons have all been messed up in the last couple of versions.

Oops! Didn't realize i couldn't use the "" BBCode. Links will have to do.

This first is an image just showing the textured model. All lighting is baked in and there is no actual light information in the image.
    https://sites.google.com/a/doomascensio ... t-pose.jpg

The next two are screenshots taken from my project using this latest version of the Doomsday Engine with default settings and no post processing. Notice the light auras around the reflected light, most noticeable around the skin. Also in the second image you can see a dark aura coming off of darker parts of the models like the pistol.
    https://sites.google.com/a/doomascensio ... te-042.png
    https://sites.google.com/a/doomascensio ... te-020.png
  • As cool as the models are (to me they look great, but I don't personally like the artistic deviations from the sprites appearances that you've always said you were planning to make; I would prefer to use models that are more faithful), you seem to keep going back and revising them; don't get stuck in a cycle.
  • NiuHaka wrote:
    Indeed but i'm not talking about dynamic lights. I'm talking about the nice reflective glow/aura that you get now. It's the bloom effect that causes a soft dark aura around dark surfaces and a soft light aura off of light surfaces. It is VERY tasty.
    There is an addon with reflections for textures,I hope they will reflection effects ton monsters too like revenent's armor or zombieman's and also reflection for water textures gonna be so cool too(I have tried it but the effect just didn't worked well)
    Anyway I hope they can make dynamic shadows for monsters and items that would make doomsday look amazing
    I just posted some screenshots about the D3 models:
    http://postimg.org/image/qp4t4r5mt/
    http://postimg.org/image/ofgi815y5/
  • Vermil wrote:
    ... artistic deviations from the sprites appearances that you've always said you were planning to make...
    I hope you meant that I've always said i would deviate because I have always said that. Loyalty to the source has always come second to my own personal vision. However, the other monsters seem to have fallen back in line to being much more loyal to the source... Not really sure how that happened lol
    Vermil wrote:
    you seem to keep going back and revising them; don't get stuck in a cycle.
    I've actually only gone through one revision for the models and that was due to a huge increase in performance and the realization that we could cheat the hard .md2 triangle limit. In fact we are no longer limited by triangle count at all. I believe you even commented in a thread i started a year or so ago about getting rid of the limit to the number of sub-models. That was the thread that helped us come to the final decision to revise.
    ...reflections...
    I'd apply reflections to my models if I could control them per pixel rather than per model. I have some extremely subtle old styled "reflections" on those models in my examples but they are so subtle that it is almost not even worth having in there.
    -
    Anyways, I really do love where Doomsday is headed. I just can't even fathom doing my project for any other port.
  • ...I'd apply reflections to my models if I could control them per pixel rather than per model. I have some extremely subtle old styled "reflections" on those models in my examples but they are so subtle that it is almost not even worth having in there.-....
    Could you make this arachnotron model?that would help a lot for me to finnish my new addons.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/3djunior/2049260478/
  • Could you make this arachnotron model?that would help a lot for me to finnish my new addons.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/3djunior/2049260478/
    WOAH! That is quite the request hehehe. I fear you know not what you ask of me. I'll send a private message.