forum icons

edited 2009 Sep 22 in General
What does everyone think of the new forums Icons(blue folders), personally to me they are too blue, but I am used to orange folder icons and dark backgrounds on my OS

oh don't worry about telling me that some icons are pixelated that will get fixed in the near future

Comments

• I think it isn't as easy to see at a glance which subforums have new posts.

As to the colors, we should have something that matches the general color scheme (e.g., the one used in the DE logo at the top of the page).
  • skyjake wrote:
    I think it isn't as easy to see at a glance which subforums have new posts.

As to the colors, we should have something that matches the general color scheme (e.g., the one used in the DE logo at the top of the page).
    For instance, seagreen and gold? :D
  • Psychikon wrote:
    For instance, seagreen and gold? :D
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE; OI OI OI!!!

Ahem... I think they look nice, i'm in agreeance with the colour scheme. Some sort of greenish marble-like orb-centric glassy design perhaps. The forums with new posts should have a vibrant gold-glow to their entire border. But they do look good.
  • I have to agree with skyjake to be honest, I prefer the old folder icons.
  • I would agree that the little gold stars designating new posts aren't that easy to see against the forums predominently white/light grey background.

The icons would be best being some dark colour IMO, like the old red ones.
  • Vermil wrote:
    Red and Green should never be seen!
  • ok the new icon for when a subforum has new posts in it so hopefully it is easier for people to notice and I also tweaked the colour a bit of the folders to fit more with the deng theme.
  • JonusC wrote:
    Vermil wrote:
    Red and Green should never be seen!
    Christmas time colors? ;)

How about red and gold? Regal colours!

How about just plain brown folders, but a shine around the ones that have a new topic! or, or, or!
    or maybe like a note with a DAGGER IN IT! like it JUST GOT POSTED! :D!!!!!!!
  • How about... who cares? They are just icons :P phpBB is relatively mobile friendly (as much as it could be on a 320x240 E63 without a mobile-specific theme) so i'm happy! Although the RSS updates could do with a little tweaking, that's not very important either :)

They look fine. Nice job Kuri.
  • Initial Impression: KDE4.
    Afterwards: Clean and renders lovely. It's not very personal or "Doomsday" , just functional for discussion.
  • With the current icons I am not able to tell if a forum has seen new posts since my last visit.
  • forum_read_subforum.gif < read
    forum_unread_subforum.gif < unread
    it just might some time getting used to.
    dani did you get my email about the colours?
  • I see. For some reason I simply was not seeing any difference between them. Probably because the colour used for the folder is stronger and much larger than the important part of the graphic i.e., the status indicating sheet of paper.

To be perfectly honest I prefer the previous icons for these as they were much clearer.

Yes I got the mail but I was in a hurry and then promptly forgot to reply. I'll do it now.
  • The forum icons are back to with the star notification and should also be easier to see now, I have converted the icons as well to png format, to give better quality icons and also use less bandwidth
  • KuriKai wrote:
    The forum icons are back to with the star notification and should also be easier to see now, I have converted the icons as well to png format, to give better quality icons and also use less bandwidth
    I'm not sure how it looks to everyone else, but for some reason the transparency is not registering on the new PNG icons. I downloaded it and opened it to check the transparency, and it's all there. I don't get it... :(
  • Psychikon wrote:
    KuriKai wrote:
    The forum icons are back to with the star notification and should also be easier to see now, I have converted the icons as well to png format, to give better quality icons and also use less bandwidth
    I'm not sure how it looks to everyone else, but for some reason the transparency is not registering on the new PNG icons. I downloaded it and opened it to check the transparency, and it's all there. I don't get it... :(

Are you using Internet Explorer 6? I remember there was a bug in it where it wouldn't show transparency on PNG files. I know there was a JS fix for it.
    I found this on google, could help: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/ Obviously that's up to the Admins to use this or not on the site design as it is a file & code that must be included into the layout code.
  • pbsoa wrote:
    Are you using Internet Explorer 6? I remember there was a bug in it where it wouldn't show transparency on PNG files. I know there was a JS fix for it.
    I found this on google, could help: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/ Obviously that's up to the Admins to use this or not on the site design as it is a file & code that must be included into the layout code.
    Thanks for all the help! Yeah, it was IE6.......
  • I really recommend you to upgrade your web browser
  • I'm liking the glowing stars for new posts. Nice work KuriKai.
  • Agreed.. I too like the glowing stars it has now compared to what it was last.