Lag and stuttering issues

edited 2013 Dec 22 in Technical Support
Hey everyone,

This is my first time here and I just got Doomsday running and stuff on my computer. I just got a new one today and it's great, however I am having an issue with Doomsday. The best way to explain it would be that it seems whenever I move through a level, it just lags and stutters pretty bad. Even worse if I am using amplified renderer settings. I am using the popular add-ons like the jdoom resource pack and high resolution textures. It's not a frame rate problem. My PC can definitely handle the game, engine, etc. Not sure what's causing it. Other than that, it's great and really good looking. I'm not getting any errors or anything, so there's nothing to paste here.

Here is some information about my PC to help you:
Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium SP1
Intel Core i7-4820K CPU 3.70GHz
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 200 Series video card
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard

Comments

• Does it stutter if you don't use the high-resolution textures? Maybe the video card is running out of memory and needs to swap textures in and out.

Also, check that the "2x Smart Filtering" of textures ("rend-tex-filter-smart") is disabled, that will make all the textures 2x larger (4x memory use!).
  • skyjake wrote:
    Does it stutter if you don't use the high-resolution textures? Maybe the video card is running out of memory and needs to swap textures in and out.

Also, check that the "2x Smart Filtering" of textures ("rend-tex-filter-smart") is disabled, that will make all the textures 2x larger (4x memory use!).
    Somehow it went away. Not sure what I did haha. I kept fiddling with the options and now I can be on Amplified renderer and there's almost no lag now. It seems like it might do it whenever a new effect or something is drawn on the screen, but apart from that it's much smoother than it was. I still have all the add-ons on.

Where is the "2x Smart Filtering" option? I looked in Snowberry and the conf files and no luck. Unless I'm blind I'm not seeing it.

I had a couple other questions: What is a good FOV? I am on about 82 right now because I like seeing the weapon model but I don't want the zoom to be too far in. 80-85 seems like the best range for the FOV. Secondly, is there a way to reset your controls and such for a game in Snowberry? I messed around a bit too much with the controls and now some of my buttons are acting up. For example, the escape key now quits the entire menu when before I could have sworn it just went back a menu. I ended up binding previous menu to Esc and show/hide to F1. Also for some reason my down arrow doesn't keep scrolling if I hold it down but my up arrow does.

Thanks for the help! Great engine by the way. Got to playing it more yesterday after my problem mysteriously vanished and couldn't stop. Really brings Doom to a whole new level.
  • Nevander wrote:
    Where is the "2x Smart Filtering" option? I looked in Snowberry and the conf files and no luck. Unless I'm blind I'm not seeing it.
    It's one of the Renderer Appearance settings, under the "Materials" section: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jeg6pth0rxfy4 ... etting.png

The appearance sidebar can be opened with the "rendedit" command, or via taskbar → Gear (config) menu → Renderer → Gear next to "Appearance" → View/Edit.
    What is a good FOV? I am on about 82 right now because I like seeing the weapon model but I don't want the zoom to be too far in.
    I recommend using something close to the default (95) to keep the experience close to the original games. Note that you can move the HUD 3D models up and down using the "rend-hud-fov-shift" cvar, so you can keep them visible regardless of your FOV.

Doomsday will automatically adjust the actual FOV angle based on your monitor aspect ratio. For instance, in a 16:9 mode you'll actually have a wider view than in a 4:3 mode even though the FOV setting is at 95.
    Secondly, is there a way to reset your controls and such for a game in Snowberry?
    You can reset all controls in the Doomsday console by typing:
    clearbindings; defaultbindings

Great engine by the way. Got to playing it more yesterday after my problem mysteriously vanished and couldn't stop. Really brings Doom to a whole new level.
    Thanks! :)
  • skyjake wrote:
    It's one of the Renderer Appearance settings, under the "Materials" section: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jeg6pth0rxfy4 ... etting.png

The appearance sidebar can be opened with the "rendedit" command, or via taskbar → Gear (config) menu → Renderer → Gear next to "Appearance" → View/Edit.

Ah! Perfect! Lot of options. :D

I think it was off already. Tweaked a bunch of little things and my custom setup is awesome now. I love the way that Doomsday handles lighting. It's really soft lighting and sets a nice mood to Doom.
    I recommend using something close to the default (95) to keep the experience close to the original games. Note that you can move the HUD 3D models up and down using the "rend-hud-fov-shift" cvar, so you can keep them visible regardless of your FOV.

Doomsday will automatically adjust the actual FOV angle based on your monitor aspect ratio. For instance, in a 16:9 mode you'll actually have a wider view than in a 4:3 mode even though the FOV setting is at 95.

Much better! Currently rocking a default FOV with full model view. Perfect!
    You can reset all controls in the Doomsday console by typing:
    clearbindings; defaultbindings

I probably should have known that. I'm no stranger to console commands but for some reason I didn't even think about trying it there hehe. That helped, I was able to fix my controls much better now.
    Thanks! :)
    No problem! I'm super excited about this engine. I can't wait to play through Ult Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom with this engine. Until now, I've always used ZDoom. It's great, but man seeing how this engine handles everything on top of the models and additional add-ons, I might not go back. ;)

Doom is probably my all-time favorite game series. Seeing the originals brought back like this makes me so thrilled. Thanks for all your help! Now to download some more sweet add-ons!