Anniversary

edited 2013 Dec 12 in News
Two decades is a really long time. Yet I still vividly remember the first time I entered the station on Phobos and found it infested with monsters from Hell. It was a life-changing moment for many of us. Today we celebrate the 20th anniversary of DOOM, where a portal was opened not only for the invasion of monstrous demons, but also for us to enter a virtual world in a way not experienced before.

One of the core tenets of the Doomsday Engine project has always been respect for the original games. DOOM naturally stands as the most important one, being the first and having the widest influence over computer games as a whole.

Even though Doomsday is more than 14 years old, it is quite safe to say that nowadays our development work is being done on a healthier foundation than ever before. We are extremely keen to keep up progress throughout 2014 and continue introducing more enhancements while the engine gradually transforms toward the 2.0 design. Personally, I am very excited about the possibilities that the next quantum leap in VR technology will give us!

Further reading:

Comments

• Congratulations Doom.

Here is a video of John Romero playing the the first episode of doom co-op with Ryan McCaffrey to celebrate doom's 20th anniversary. They are playing on the doomsday engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUU7_BthBWM
  • This is terrible, I just went back to load up e1m1 as it was the anniversary and I got a terrible shock - it was full of monsters again!! I spent ages clearing phobos out of hellspawn - the #&$@ers must have crept back in while I was playing all the derivatve games that have come out since then :(
  • Damn it! Ninja'd by KuriKai! lol
  • KuriKai wrote:
    Congratulations Doom.

Here is a video of John Romero playing the the first episode of doom co-op with Ryan McCaffrey to celebrate doom's 20th anniversary. They are playing on the doomsday engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUU7_BthBWM
    This would have been better if four/4 original DOOM people played together!