Week 45/2013: Source packaging

edited 2013 Nov 11 in Developers
Last week I was working on source packaging and some internal details of UI rendering.

Ever since our autobuilder was originally started, it has only been producing binary distribution packages. For every stable release, I've had to manually put together a source package. I decided it was finally time to address this slight annoyance and properly integrate source releases into the automatic builds.

From now on, every build will come with a platform-independent source tarball (.tar.gz). I've also set up a Launchpad PPA where one can access the latest build for Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise). It's currently available only for Precise because that's what the autobuilder is using. However, I've been successfully using the produced doomsday .deb also in 13.04. Please contact me if you encounter any problems or have other feedback about the PPA. Eventually it would be great to have the binary packages available for all the recent Ubuntu releases.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/sjke/doomsday/ubuntu precise main 
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/sjke/doomsday/ubuntu precise main 

I finished the offscreen UI composition feature. This allows any portion of the UI to be drawn to a texture. Interestingly, it will also allow Doomsday's UI framework to be used on, say, 3D world surfaces. Currently we are using it only in Oculus Rift mode to place all the overlaid HUD/UI elements onto a separate layer.

The rest of my time was spent on general refactoring of UI internals to allow splitting player 3D view from the overlaid elements like the Doomsday task bar, game menus, status bar, and HUD indicators.

My plan is to start revising lens flare rendering using GL2 components.

Comments

• Great to hear about the ppa for ubuntu users

They can easily add it to their repository sources by copy and pasting this in a terminal
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:sjke/doomsday

They can then install doomsday by copying and pasting this into the terminal
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install doomsday

Or if they want they can install from the ubuntu software centre
  • This example Ubuntu installation method via skyjake's PPA would be better placed on the Ubuntu page of the homepage, or in an accompanying wiki article.