Why is the port 1.8.6 engine is better than 1.9.7?

edited 2012 Mar 12 in Technical Support
After leaving the port of 1.9.7 decided to check how it works while the computer was already set to port 1.8.6.
With the fast mouse movements from side to side, I noticed that the port 1.9.7 responds more sluggishly. And in the port of 1.8.6 very quickly and precisely respond. How can this be explained?
1.8.6 The port has remained my favorite port for a single game.

Comments

• 1.9.7 is more graphically advanced than 1.8.6 (1.9.7 has sharper image quality and anti aliasing support for instance), so it will run a little slower. It also has some performance bottlenecks due to half rewritten code.

1.9.7 also supports Vsynch and has it on by default, where as 1.8.6 didn't (though ones video card drivers could be used to force it on).

There is a chance that player control in 1.9.7 may not be quite as accurate as it was in 1.8.6, due to Dday now mimicking the original control code, rather than using it.

Though Deng team have made massive attempts to match the control as accurately as possible, there is still of course the possibility of slight differences/inaccuracies; I think there may be a very slight difference with the initial pressing of a keyboard directional control for instance.

I'm sure Deng team would love to hear about any control differences between 1.8.6 and 1.9.7.
  • aivar242 wrote:
    With the fast mouse movements from side to side, I noticed that the port 1.9.7 responds more sluggishly. And in the port of 1.8.6 very quickly and precisely respond. How can this be explained?
    Have you tried setting input-mouse-filter to zero?

Disabling vsync should also help, but currently I think we lack a cvar for that. It'll be added later...
  • skyjake wrote:
    aivar242 wrote:
    Have you tried setting input-mouse-filter to zero?

Disabling vsync should also help, but currently I think we lack a cvar for that. It'll be added later...
    Sensitivity of the mouse, I did not reduce as all was well with the speed. All that matters at the core of the port. It seems that the exact anti-aliasing turned on and vSync. Personally, to me they do not need to Doom. The main thing is speed.
  • Perhaps you have a videocard/driver that is simply struggling with the fullscreen multisample antialiasing* - try disabling it from the command line using the -noaa argument.

You can also force vsync off via your videodriver if you really want to.

* Some older ATI cards in particular really seem to struggle with this.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Perhaps you have a videocard/driver that is simply struggling with the fullscreen multisample antialiasing* - try disabling it from the command line using the -noaa argument.

You can also force vsync off via your videodriver if you really want to.
    All these settings can be done of course - but why? If there is already rapidly running 1.8.6.)
    He has a small size 2... mb, in contrast to 1.9.7 - 15Mb. While it is certainly not the point. The main thing is that I only play a single game. In addition to the 1.9.7 port in the settings a lot I do not need options. I need just a quick clear Doom 1 - 2 as on consoles.
    I do not like the fact that the mods, patches, textures - you can not just throw in a folder jDoom, but must properly installed. Although it must still thoroughly try - can not be properly installed. This new port is properly installed, it makes sense if you want to play on the network.
    I took the port of 1.8.6 - removed from it all with regard to Heretic, Hexen - after which he became even less, and create one of a port for Doom.
  • Those features are enabled by default because the majority of our users want the game(s) to look as good as they possibly can, out of the box.

If you are only interested in emulating the original game then you will have to spend a little time configuring the engine to suit your preferences. If you are interested in emulating the exact look of the original game - you can greatly improve performance by turning all the graphical features off.

You cannot expect an application like Doomsday to automatically configure itself to suit your preferences without any guidance...
    small size 2... mb, in contrast to 1.9.7 - 15Mb
    10Mb of that is for the launcher - Doomsday Frontend. You aren't required to use the frontend - if you don't want to use it then simply delete it.

The reason Doomsday comes with an installer on Windows is because the majority of our users want one. There is nothing stopping you from zipping up the install directory (without the frontend) after the installation should you wish.

You are not required to install Doomsday add-ons via the frontend. You can indeed simply put them in a folder and load them. The frontend is primarily intended for users who have a large collection of games and add-ons - think of it similarly to iTunes.