Music sound always at maximum

FakFak
edited 2009 Aug 6 in Technical Support
I installed the latest beta (6.4) and when I play, the music sound is always at maximum. You can change the configuration bar at will, but the only difference is when it reaches zero, when the music stops. It happened when I plyed Heretic and Doom 2.

Comments

• What operating system are you running?
  • The same problem as at Fak (system Vista64 sp2, audio Creative X-Fi Extreme Music)
  • This is a known issue under Vista that will be addressed in a future release.
  • Windows XP Professional SP3.
    Let me add that this only happened in the latest beta.
  • I have the same trouble, but using SP2. I was able to turn down the music from the in-game menu, to "almost" off, but that only worked until the track started over again. Good graphics are always more important than audio, so I just disabled the music for now. That works. :)

I don't know anything about Snowberry, but is there anyway to change the setting in a .cfg file somewhere? None of the .conf or .prof files I opened seemed to have any audio settings saved in them.
  • Microsoft really dropped the ball on that one. I remember reading an in-depth article about DirectX, how Windows Vista doesn't support DirectMusic (games like GTA2 don't work unless you manually get DMUSIC.DLL from WinXP) and MIDI support, particularly for non-dedicated MIDI controllers (i.e. onboard MPU-401 synth) was outrageously kicked in the nads by Mr. Gates.

There's a program called "Vista MIDI Device Picker" or something like that which I had to use to tell my PC to use my Roland MIDI Blaster card (whatever the $%^@ it was called, its long gone) as Default instead of the Win32 (SW Synth) or MPU-401 (ewww) as there is literally no way to change it in Vista!

There's no custom mixer software that I know of that can allow changing the MIDI Mixer slider in Vista either :(

To my point though, I remember DOSBox (if you don't know it, crawl back under your rock) had a similar issue under Vista. I think it might have actually been an SDL patch that fixed it.... it might of been something else. Regardless, incase the devs are not sure how to do it I may suggest that as a starting point ;) all I know is, DOSBox is OpenSource, and with the "Allow SoundBlaster Mixer to modify Windows Mixer" turned on (Must be ON) then whenever you change MIDI volume in an emulated DOS game it does actually change the volume :)