Last week I took a look at the items in the multiplayer debugging backlog
and did some reordering. I intend to continue the work by focusing on weapon behavior and psprites -- things that are front and center in the gameplay experience.
I had to revert back to 32-bit builds for my daily development, as SDL_net does not have a 64-bit binary available on the Mac and attempts to build one myself have not borne fruit.
Other things on my to-do list are some enhancements to the autobuilder system so that we can get the installation packages distributed via SourceForge download servers and integrate the build information at some level to the wiki.
It is was recently brought to our attention that Doomsday lacked the ability to disable antialiasing
. I rectified the situation by implementing a -noaa
command line argument in the master branch, which presently disables the full scene antialiasing used on the Windows platform (now available in build #325
). At some point I'll expand upon this by adding an in-game control to the control panel.
As outlined in my previous update my plan was to address the problems with our support for DOOM's method of dynamically constructing texture/flat animations.
To this end there have been several significant changes in branch ringzero+master. The largest of which being the deferral of game initialization until after startup resources for the game have been loaded. Consequently texture animation sequences are read during game pre-init. These animations are then later used to autogenerate Group
definitions (in the process fixing bug #2480718
). These changes also mean that it should now be possible to fix the "flashing bloodfall" issue seen in Plutonia2.
The Textures collection was enhanced with support for resolving texture URNs (of the form urn:<namespace>:<uniqueid>
) via the same mechanisms used with URIs
. Each unique texture is associated with a URN, determined by namespace specific logic. For example, the TEXTURES namespace allocates URNs using the texture's logical index from the start of the corresponding lump. It is these unique texture URNs that are now used to implement DOOM's dynamic texture/flat animation building logic.
Further to the work on the animation construction, I spent some time cleaning up our public API facilities for working with textures. I also removed the last remnants of patchinfo_t
for caching metadata about Patch graphics on game side.
The Fonts collection was enhanced with the same interface features as present in the Textures collection (in the process addressing the outstanding issues
with the management of logical Fonts). There however remains an issue in the font renderer with the management of font display lists after an engine/texture reset.
The plan for the coming week is to refactor the mechanisms which derive the GL texture unit state from Materials, addressing the last big performance bottleneck in this subsystem.
All in all it was rather a productive week. Lets hope this becomes a trend