Addons not detected?

edited 2011 Oct 24 in Addons for DOOM
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I just can't figure out why this isn't working. I've tried installing several addons via placing them in the Doomsday/snowberry/addons folder, but when I run the kickstart, nothing is ever detected. There's no "install addon" function in the kickstart, just an empty page where the addons should be. Can someone please tell me why it won't detect these addons?

Comments

• The location of the addons folder depends on the OS you are running and several other factors such as whether you are running Snowberry in 'home' mode or not (e.g., passing -nohome or -home on the command line). Can you tell us what your setup is?
  • I'm running Windows XP SP3. I have no idea if I'm running in home mode or not, I just recently started using the engine.
  • On XP the default addon directory is located in your Doomsday install directory, for example: c:\Doomsday\Snowberry\addons

Which version of Doomsday are you running? I ask because you mentioned KickStart - this is the name of the old Doomsday frontend that is installed by default with versions up to and including Doomsday 1.8.6 KickStart will not read addons from the Snowberry addon directory.

Can you give some examples of the addons you are placing there (what types)?

If you look in your Snowberry directory is there a file named snowberry.exe.log? If so please open it up in a text editor and copy n' paste the contents here (or use http://pastebin.com/).

Note that if you are manually installing addons to this directory you will not need to "install" them again via the interface. It should just be a matter of ticking the box next to the ones you want to enable.
  • I'm running 1.8.6, so that may explain why it can't detect them. The addons I have installed are the High resolution texture pack and high quality sound pack that I got from here http://dengine.net/addons
    There doesn't appear to be a snowberry.exe.log, in fact, I don't even have snowberry.exe, the only executables in the folder are kicks.exe, jdoom.exe, jheretic.exe and jhexen.exe. Thanks for the help, I'm a real noob with this stuff.
  • well your best bet is to download the new betas so it will make it easyer to load the packs you want and wads for that matter.