DooMsDay Sound Volume in Windows 7.

edited 2011 Nov 20 in General
Hello. I have problem with Doomsday 1.8.6 (and with final beta too)

When I in game, I can ajust music volume to low, but then sound effects volume come to low too (but sound slider hold on its max high position).
I cant make the sound effects to high, and music to low, becouse then I turn music slider in options menu, then windows mixer sliding auto with it. So. if I turn music quetly, then sound became quetly automaticall (dont matter, then sound slider is) !

In Rised3D and ZDooM I dont have this problem, but I like your port guys, very much, so can I fix this problem ?

Thanks.

(Sorry for my English, im from Russia.)

Comments

• it dose not affect me, but are you using SDL_Mixer if not then that might be the cause of your problems in the betas but not sure for 1.8.9 branch.
  • This is apparently an issue with SDL_Mixer and Windows Vista or 7 that most or all ports have had:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread. ... post964923
  • well vista is out as i use it and it works fine all tho i have not tested with the latest beta
  • If you use 1.8.6, you won't have this issue as 1.8.6 on Windows doesn't have SDL_mixer as an option for audio.
  • but he has the problem with 1.8.6 so he says witch leaves me to wonder if it's not a sound card problem in terms of configuring.
  • Yes, I have problem with 1.8.6 and with 1.9.0 beta too.

My friend with Intel motherboard have same problem.

I & him have Windows 7, 64 edition - maybe problem with 64bits ?

My configuration is
    970A-G45 motherboard with realtek HD audio & Nvidia HD too (My PC output sound to TV direct from MSI GF560ti on HDMI cabel.)
  • hmmmm.... 1.8.6 is not 64bit compatible at least i think.
  • Official releases of Doomsday for Windows are built as 32bit. These 32bit binaries can be installed on 64bit versions of the OS without issue.

@SandMartin
    Which audio plugin are you using for each version of Doomsday you have installed?
  • If I correct understand, try unswer:

In version 1.8.6 I used default plugin (i dont know what kickstart choose in default, and i dont know there is select it)

In 1.9.0 beta 6.9 in snowberry, first - I try used SDL_Mixer driver - With it I have same problem like in 1.8.6

then I try OpenAL - no sounds and music, volume is 0

then I try DirectSound - the music - off, sound on.

In windows in control Panel - sound devices - right click - in Midi synthesizer I see "sonud synthesizer GS (Microsoft)"
  • Is your soundchip manufacturer "Realtek"? Look for setting "Loudness Equalization" and switch it "on".