This time I was focusing pretty much exclusively on the qmake switchover. As the changes have a significant impact on our automatic building and distribution packaging system, there was plenty of work to do. Currently the work is nearing completion, with some final details still missing that need to be updated in the build system so that the automation will work correctly. I can already build fully functional distribution packages on Windows and Ubuntu.
One bigger change in the Windows build was that UNICODE will be enabled by default. This does not have any effect on the internal workings of the engine as such, but it will cause Doomsday to use the Unicode wchar versions of Win32 API calls. In the future, use of Unicode will be extended mostly thanks to Qt -- I doubt there is much to be gained by converting Doomsday's existing string/text handling routines to Unicode.
One cool thing with the Debian/Ubuntu build is that the build system will now create the .deb package on its own. For example, the .deb changelog will be automatically generated based on the git commits. Previously deb packaging was handled by CMake (CPack) and there were some annoying limitations...
I hope to finish the qmake switchover this week. The only problem remaining is that I need to add SDL_net back to the build before I'll merge the branch back to the master. I removed it earlier because it was incompatible with the Snow Leopard 64-bit build. After all this is done, the unstable releases will start using the qmake builds and I can start a new work branch for getting rid of SDL_net for good.
Work on the file system in ringzero continued this week. Various refactorings were implemented to simplify and clean up the object interface hierarchy. All in all there isn't a great deal to say about that however there are a couple of new noteworthy features; a) AbstractFile specializations such as WadFile can now be opened on any file from a non-zero base offset, facilitating the direct loading of files embedded within in larger containers, b) all lumps throughout the virtual file system are now marked with a hierarchical chain of containing-object pointers.
Other than the file system refactorings I also fixed a couple of bugs in the texture manager and font renderer subsystems, however it has been a pretty lite week from me progress wise.
Over the coming week I intend to complete the current bout of file system refactorings and then move on to addressing the remaining resource management regressions in branch ringzero.