Help in creating a .pk3 addon file for Doom 2

edited 2011 Aug 2 in Addons for DOOM
Hi to all,

This is my first post, so I'm not sure whether this is the correct forum to ask my question. If it's not, I apologize for the inconvenience.

For the last weeks I've been busy creating an "updated" version of the Doom 2 soundtrack. It's not a remix, strictly speaking, because I've just taken the original midi data and modified it in order to be played through more modern synthesizers (such as the Yamaha Motif XS and the Roland Fantom X), and then I've recorded the output and converted it to .ogg files. So it's more like an "up to date" version of the original soundtrack with better and more realistic sounds instead of a new and different soundtrack, much in the line of the Doomsday Engine itself (offering an updated version of the same classic games, conserving much of the original "feel", rather than being a brand new game).

The point is that I'm experiencing problems when trying to make the .pk3 file. As I've never tried to make an addon before and I've never dealed with creating .pk3 files, I took as a basis the .pk3 addon file made by LogicDeluxe (the Doom 2 soundtrack recorded directly from a Roland Sound Canvas SC-155). I've used the same DED file, and I simply replaced the .ogg files in the "data" directory. Then I used Winrar to create a .zip file and renamed it to .pk3. When I try to use it, though, it appears a pop-up window telling that there's an error in the metadata entry. I'm not sure about what's the problem or how to fix it, so any help is welcome. On the other hand, the addon file works, and I can hear the new soundtrack when playing the game. So the problem is not that it doesn't work, but only that it's annoying to see the error message.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• post the contents of the ded and the file structure you used if it's not right it will give errors
  • Thanks a lot Gordon for your reply. The contents of the ded file are as follows:

# jDoom: Music and Sound Effects

Header { Version = 5; }

#####====--- MUSIC ---====#####

Music { ID = "runnin"; Lump = "D_RUNNIN"; Ext = "data\jdoom\music\02_Bobby_Prince_-_Running_From_Evil.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "stalks"; Lump = "D_STALKS"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\04_Bobby_Prince_-_The_Healer_Stalks.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "countd"; Lump = "D_COUNTD"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\05_Bobby_Prince_-_Countdown_To_Death.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "betwee"; Lump = "D_BETWEE"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\06_Bobby_Prince_-_Between_Levels.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "doom"; Lump = "D_DOOM"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\07_Bobby_Prince_-_DOOM.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "the_da"; Lump = "D_THE_DA"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\08_Bobby_Prince_-_In_The_Dark.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "shawn"; Lump = "D_SHAWN"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\10_Bobby_Prince_-_Shawn's_Got_The_Shotgun.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "ddtblu"; Lump = "D_DDTBLU"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\11_Bobby_Prince_-_The_Dave_D._Taylor_Blues.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "in_cit"; Lump = "D_IN_CIT"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\12_Bobby_Prince_-_Into_Sandy's_City.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "dead"; Lump = "D_DEAD"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\13_Bobby_Prince_-_The_Demon's_Dead.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "stlks2"; Lump = "D_STLKS2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\04_Bobby_Prince_-_The_Healer_Stalks.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "theda2"; Lump = "D_THEDA2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\08_Bobby_Prince_-_In_The_Dark.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "doom2"; Lump = "D_DOOM2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\07_Bobby_Prince_-_DOOM.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "ddtbl2"; Lump = "D_DDTBL2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\11_Bobby_Prince_-_The_Dave_D._Taylor_Blues.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "runni2"; Lump = "D_RUNNI2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\02_Bobby_Prince_-_Running_From_Evil.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "dead2"; Lump = "D_DEAD2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\13_Bobby_Prince_-_The_Demon's_Dead.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "stlks3"; Lump = "D_STLKS3"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\04_Bobby_Prince_-_The_Healer_Stalks.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "romero"; Lump = "D_ROMERO"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\16_Bobby_Prince_-_Waiting_For_Romero_To_Play.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "shawn2"; Lump = "D_SHAWN2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\10_Bobby_Prince_-_Shawn's_Got_The_Shotgun.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "messag"; Lump = "D_MESSAG"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\17_Bobby_Prince_-_Message_For_The_Archvile.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "count2"; Lump = "D_COUNT2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\05_Bobby_Prince_-_Countdown_To_Death.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "ddtbl3"; Lump = "D_DDTBL3"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\11_Bobby_Prince_-_The_Dave_D._Taylor_Blues.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "ampie"; Lump = "D_AMPIE"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\18_Bobby_Prince_-_Bye_Bye_American_Pie.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "theda3"; Lump = "D_THEDA3"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\08_Bobby_Prince_-_In_The_Dark.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "adrian"; Lump = "D_ADRIAN"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\19_Bobby_Prince_-_Adrian's_Asleep.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "messg2"; Lump = "D_MESSG2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\17_Bobby_Prince_-_Message_For_The_Archvile.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "romer2"; Lump = "D_ROMER2"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\16_Bobby_Prince_-_Waiting_For_Romero_To_Play.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "tense"; Lump = "D_TENSE"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\20_Bobby_Prince_-_Getting_Too_Tense.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "shawn3"; Lump = "D_SHAWN3"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\10_Bobby_Prince_-_Shawn's_Got_The_Shotgun.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "openin"; Lump = "D_OPENIN"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\21_Bobby_Prince_-_Opening_To_Hell.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "evil"; Lump = "D_EVIL"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\14_Bobby_Prince_-_Evil_Incarnate.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "ultima"; Lump = "D_ULTIMA"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\15_Bobby_Prince_-_The_Ultimate_Challenge.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "read_m"; Lump = "D_READ_M"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\09_Bobby_Prince_-_Read_Me.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "dm2ttl"; Lump = "D_DM2TTL"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\01_Bobby_Prince_-_Title.ogg"; }
    Music { ID = "dm2int"; Lump = "D_DM2INT"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\03_Bobby_Prince_-_Intermission.ogg"; }

The file structure is exactly the same as indicated in the ded file (the .ogg files are in "data\jdoom\music" directory, with exactly the same names). Indeed, the addon does work and the music plays as it should, but I get the error message (metadata) before running the game.
  • downloading the pack now and seeing if i do not get the error with just the pack normally and then i am going to extract and repackage it and see what happens after i get off work
  • sorry for double posting but what dose the error say?
  • Hi again,

I've just found the origin of the problem; there's a file named "Info" that is treated as metadata in a .pk3 package. I've just deleted it and repacked the pk3 file and now the addon works flawlessly with no error messages. Now there is no metadata but I just don't mind if it works.

By the way, I'd be grateful if someone could tell me if there's some way to upload the addon for letting other people give it a try.

Thanks a lot!
  • try megaupload or some other place like that
  • What is the actual error? If you post your logs we should be able to fix whatever is up with your file.
  • All I was getting was a popup window when starting snowberry, with the following content:

PK3 Infor Error
    There was an error in the metadata entry of the addon music_doom2-pk3, in hte file D:\Doom\Doomsday\snowberry\addons\music_doom2.pk3.

I'm also attaching the "problematic" Info file:
  • i know what you forgot and that is the closing ) so it's still open when you load it and not closed. if you look at the original and then yours you will see what i mean.
  • That's it!!!

I've fixed it and now it works flawlessly with the Info file included in the pk3 package. Thanks a lot man!
  • np. you had problem i had fix after i got info