On Week 23

edited 2011 Jun 13 in Developers
skyjake:

Not much happened during the week. The temperature outside (and indoors) was constantly at the 30°C mark, making it rather unattractive to sit at the computer for any significant periods of time. The only real accomplishment was writing a script for processing the exported dengDevs content for insertion here onto the forums. That was quite fun, though: an XML-parsing Python script for generating a PHP script for running a set of SQL queries on the web server.

I also had to do a bit of maintenance of the build system. Hopefully today's build will run flawlessly again.

The plan remains unchanged: a few Heretic fixes and then onto Hexen. After Hexen is playable, some latency simulation and then testing using a public server.

danij:

Work continued this week on the game side UI systems. I ended up taking a minor diversion from the "widgetizing" work to address some of the implementation issues that had inadvertently produced a rather awkward internal API, for the Patch Replacement feature as used by the game menu etc. The result of which being a series of refactorings to the font renderer and currently game-side UI object/widget systems.

The font renderer now uses a stack of state attributes (tracking, leading, shadow strength, etc...) which is manipulated by the caller before initiating a batch (hopefully) of text drawing commands (formatted chunks, fragments and individual characters). This state attribute stack allowed for the long-winded argument lists of the handful of text drawing commands could be dropped entirely and the functionality moved into draw context preparation, resulting in a much cleaner API (this in turn has a large bearing on the implementation of the Patch Replacement feature).

Over the coming week I expect work will continue in much the same vein. I plan to continue refactoring the interface to the font renderer and the implementation of Patch Replacement before then getting back to the widgetizing.