On Week 18

edited 2011 May 9 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>skyjake</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the category: Blog.</i>

<strong>skyjake:</strong>
<ul>
<li>With Doom being in a relatively good shape, I got started on fixing issues in Heretic's multiplayer. There was some tangible progress: mobj thinking was fixed, as was Fire action requests, inventory updates, player state updates, and intermission skipping. The next immediate issue is to add an Inventory Use action request; currently the client is locally using items and not telling the server about it.</li>
<li>I also added the build number to the Doomsday version string, which means it will appear in window and console titles at runtime. I intend to have the build number visible only for non-stable releases; stable releases will show the build number only when the "version" command is invoked.</li>
<li>The plan is to keep addressing the more serious multiplayer issues until all the games have been dealt with. Then I will start focusing on less severe issues that amount to tuning the gameplay experience and repairing glitches that don't adversely affect gameplay.</li>
</ul>
<strong>danij:</strong>
<ul>
<li>This past week I've mostly been working on the game menu, completing the re-implementation work that was begun in the old beta6 branch for (then) Beta6.10 release. The functionality side of this is now pretty much complete, with only a mechanism for changing the weapon priority order still notably missing.</li>
<li>Other than the menu, I changed the handling of PNAMES so as to defer patch lump lookup until the named patch is first referenced by a texture defined in TEXTURE1/2. This addresses a minor issue with the shareware release of DOOM whereby the unused patches would result in a stream of warning messages being logged during startup.</li>
<li>Now I plan to move on to the audiovisual side of the menu fix-up-job, addressing the widget layouts and general prep and/or polish for release.</li>
</ul>