Branch Shuffle

edited 2010 Aug 10 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>skyjake</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the categories: Engine, Practices, SourceForge.</i>

We've had a bit of a discussion about the state of our development efforts, and have come to the decision that some changes are necessary. Instead of using the beta6 branch as the place where most day-to-day development occurs, we would like to shift the focus back to the trunk and allow incrementally introducing elements from the 2.0 architecture.

I will soon do a bit of reshuffling with the Git repository branches. Namely:
<ul>
<li>The current <strong>master</strong> branch will be renamed to <strong>new-order</strong>. This is where the 2.0 architecture is being developed in.
<li>A new branch will be started from the 1.9.0-beta6.9 tag, and named <strong>master</strong>. This is the primary development focus from now on. Code from the <strong>new-order</strong> branch will be merged here bit by bit.
<li>The <strong>1.9.0-beta6</strong> branch will remain untouched for now. Once Beta 6.10 is out, we can merge the final 6.10 updates to the trunk and stop using this branch altogether.
</ul>

A note about release practices: each release will be tagged as before, e.g., 1.9.0-beta6.10. While we will strive for the trunk to remain fully releseable at any given point in time, if the need arises to make urgent patches, we can always branch out from the latest release tag and do the fix there, release the update, and then merge the fix to the trunk.

Comments