MP3s From WAD Lumps

edited 2009 Nov 29 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>danij</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the categories: Engine, Platforms.</i>

Today I've been looking into the reported problems with non MUS/MIDI music loaded from WAD lumps. I am testing with the in-development 1.9.0-beta6.8 release which under Windows has seen SDL_mixer updated to the latest version; 1.2.11.

I have tested both OGG and MP3 using music files from my own media collection and each time the music played as expected on Windows Vista x64 using SDL_mixer for playback.

However, I have found that under Ubuntu 9.10 that the same WAD does NOT work when using SDL_mixer. Last I knew though, Ubuntu has yet to package SDL_mixer 1.2.11

It would seem this issue is due to the old problem of SMPEG not understanding ID3 tags in MP3s (which SDL_mixer wraps). I'm currently looking into the possibility of wrapping <a href="http://massid3lib.sourceforge.net/">massid3lib</a&gt; in Doomsday (i.e., we would use it to detect and subsequently strip all tags from MP3s), to circumvent the problem entirely.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Does massid3lib support other platforms in addition to Windows?

I recall that with QuickTime the issue was that file name extensions was used to detect the type of the file, and since the data read from the WAD lump doesn't have an extension it wouldn't be recognized as MP3. It would seem that if Doomsday was able to successfully detect that the WAD lump contains an MP3 file, this issue with QuickTime would be solved.

BTW, we should release Beta 6.8 tomorrow.
  • I've not yet looked into whether massid3lib supports other platforms. If it doesn't it probably wouldn't take that much work to port it.

Yes, I intend to package the Windows release in a few hours.