Game's Up For NewDoom?

edited 2009 May 28 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>danij</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the category: Blog.</i>

Phoebus, of www.newdoom.com, has just made an <a href="http://forums.newdoom.com/announcement.php?f=51">important announcement about the future of Mindless Games & Entertainment and their hosted domains</a>.

In effect this means that as of June 1st 2009, www.doomsdayhq.com will be homeless and no doubt the domain name itself will be released back to the wild unless some action is taken.

There are several options open to us, including purchasing the www.doomsdayhq.com domain and moving it to another host.

Thoughts?

Comments

• In the interest of consolidating our web presence, I think that the optimal solution would be for us to get ownership of the doomsdayhq.com domain and point it to the dengine.net server.

It would be nice to have all the important stuff at the same server. We might also set up hq.dengine.net (or "dengine.net/hq") as an alias for doomsdayhq.com? So that they both would essentially point to the same site.
  • I think that would be the best course of action. Consolidating all of our disparate web sites at one server is definitely a good idea (bar our project svn and trackers which should remain at sourceforge.net imo).

Would you like to handle the negotiations for purchasing the doomsdayhq.com domain skyjake? I seem to recall we had some outstanding cash donations over at our donate page at sourceforge.net but if that doesn't cover it I'd be happy to pony up some dough myself.

I've already begun talking to kurikai about finishing up the new site design and we have concluded that other than a few tweaks here and there (e.g., the resizeable font support), all we are really waiting on is content. We'll need various bits of blurb about the deng project, its history and the games Doomsday supports etc, etc.

Of course we will also be needing a new user forum. I would personally like to see that at dengine.net also and it would be great if it was integrated into the new site design. Do you (skyjake) have any particular preferences for forum software that you'd like to use?
  • <blockquote>Would you like to handle the negotiations for purchasing the doomsdayhq.com domain skyjake? I seem to recall we had some outstanding cash donations</blockquote> Yes we do. I'll contact Phoebus about the domain.

<blockquote>Of course we will also be needing a new user forum. I would personally like to see that at dengine.net also and it would be great if it was integrated into the new site design. Do you (skyjake) have any particular preferences for forum software that you?d like to use?</blockquote> Nope... I guess phpBB would be fine?
  • How do we want to go integrating the forums with the new site?
    should we integrate it into the main frame of the site or should we have it's own separate page?
    Also should I go integrating an irc chat program into the dengine site like I did with he doomsdayhq site?
  • Whats happening with the domain acquisition skyjake? The server switch-off date is drawing close...