Toward Beta 6.1 in March

edited 2009 Mar 31 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>skyjake</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the categories: Beta 6, Engine, Games, Launchers, SourceForge.</i>

I'd just like to remind us that Beta 6.1 will be released before the end of the month. Looking at the <a href="http://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?limit=50&func=&group_id=74815&atid=542099&assignee=&status=1&category=&artgroup=678927&keyword=&submitter=&artifact_id=&limitz=50&assignee=&status=1&category=&artgroup=678927&submitter=&keyword=&artifact_id=&submit=Filter&limitz=35">Beta 6 bugs list</a>, I'd like to see at least these fixed:

<ul>
<li>jHexen: Door sounds mixed up
<li>jHexen: Dark Crucible: Bridge motionless and dark on respawn
<li>Snowberry: Misaligned text in lists
</ul>

Comments

• In addition I would like to see the following resolved:

<ul>
    <li>Various issues regarding appdir/ basedir/workingdir use under Windows resolved both in Snowberry and Doomsday</li>
    <li>Middle-texture issues, (mostly) affecting ATI and Intel Graphics users</li>
    <li>Player Chat shortcut keys interfering with the input of cheats</li>
    </ul>
  • <blockquote>Player Chat shortcut keys interfering with the input of cheats</blockquote> I think this issue is mostly because nowadays chat gets activated in singleplayer games as well (even though it shouldn't). Cheating in multiplayer games shouldn't happen via the basic key sequences at all, I think, but with console commands (if enabled on the server).
  • Ah yes. The only reason I removed that restriction was so that multiple local players could communicate via chat as the chat macros are tied in to this (they are commonly used for taunts).
  • But local players are (by definition) sitting next to each other anyway, so chatting isn't really needed in that case?
  • Logically, I agree that chatting solely amongst local players isn't strictly necessary but that does depend how the chat functionality is actually being used.

My primary argument for local player chatting is when verbal communication is not desirable/practical e.g., hurling profanity might not be appreciated by others in the vicinity or in some cases, not even possible e.g., one (or more) local player is deaf.
  • I see... Well, at least in the case where there is only one player in the game we should disable the chat functionality. That should fix most of the cheating issues.
  • Skyjake,

While it's nice to see that you want beta 6.1 out this month, I can't help but notice a big glaring omission in this master plan.

I've not seen any fixes go into svn from you at all this month. In fact, it's only DaniJ doing these fixes.

Setting these dates for a release and then not making them irritated the hell out of me while I was on the team, and it irritated the users.

If you don't have time to work on the bugs by the date you say, please say so and set a realistic date - right now it appears you've set a date, and because you don't have time to work on the engine, you are hoping DaniJ will be able to cover for you.

Please clarify what it is you are working on, and a realistic date that we can expect a release.

A parting word - it's a beta release, it's not supposed to be perfect, but less bugs than the previous release is a good start. If you really want to keep adding bug new features, at the very least, use an honest versioning system. You, I and DaniJ know internally the engine has changed enough to warrant a 2.0 beta 1 version, and that these fixes are more like the 2.0 beta 2 patches then a 1.9.0beta6.1 patchset.
  • <blockquote>Please clarify what it is you are working on, and a realistic date that we can expect a release.</blockquote> Currently I'm not working on anything deng-related, however I do plan to look at that Snowberry UI issue I mentioned in the original post. Beta6.1 will be released on or before March 31, with or without the fixes listed above. There's plenty of stuff already fixed (thanks to Danij) as listed in the wiki.

<blockquote>[...] use an honest versioning system [...]</blockquote> I fully agree that the current version numbering sucks.
  • I have to ask, is it expected that DaniJ will be doing all of the heavy lifting ? If so, has that been discussed with him ?

I'm starting to see similar signs of burnout in him, that I had working on deng. Of course if he does burnout, it makes it much easier for me to poach him for deng-ng.
  • <blockquote> is it expected that DaniJ will be doing all of the heavy lifting ?</blockquote> No, like me DaniJ is free to work on as much or as little as he feels motivated to.
  • I'm really excited about getting 1.9.0-beta6.1 out today as that means we can then shift our focus onto the unified networking.

In fact, I've already made a start on that by auditing the game state cvars ensuring things are where they should be and named accordingly.