Latest beta slow as hell

I'm getting 32 to 34 fps average, running exactly on the same machine 1.8.6 manages 100fps+ without strain. What's going on? what changed so drastically in JDoom? rend-camera-smooth is on. Changed every setting I knew could have made a difference, but to no avail.

Any suggestions? :?

Specs: 3.6ghz Intel Pentium 4 + 256mb NVIDIA GeForce 6200 + 1024mb RAM + Windows XP Professional SP3 + everything up to date.

On a side note, why leave a Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6.3 dedicated thread on an unsupported forum? why not just kill the damn thing and automatically redirect users to the new one? not trying to be an ass here, but it took me 2 registration efforts to get people to pay attention to my post ;)

Regards.

Comments

• On a side note, why leave a Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6.3 dedicated thread on an unsupported forum? why not just kill the damn thing and automatically redirect users to the new one? not trying to be an ass here, but it took me 2 registration efforts to get people to pay attention to my post ;)
    Because the person that controls that forum refuses to do it. You can see it's rather dead as most of us were banned from it and sent emails saying "pay up or else" followed by "ok - you can post 5 times a day at most, but you'll have to pay if you want more" emails.
  • I'm getting 32 to 34 fps average, running exactly on the same machine 1.8.6 manages 100fps+ without strain. What's going on? what changed so drastically in JDoom? rend-camera-smooth is on. Changed every setting I knew could have made a difference, but to no avail.
    How about "refresh-rate-max"? Although I have noticed worrying slowdowns in some maps, too, looks like a run through the profiler is in order sooner or later.
  • There is currently a known bottleneck in Material_Prepare. Each time this routine is called (at least once per frame, per rendered world surface/sprite) it will attempt to locate any required lightmaps, detail and shiny textures required.

Obviously, this is unnecessary but we currently lack a mechanism for managing this efficently.

Furthermore, the definitions associated to materials (such as decorations, generators, details etc) are currently located and linked to each material instance only after the textures for the given material have been prepared. This is also unnecessary. As these definitions are associated by name, it would be far more efficent to locate both definitions (original and external) per type (decoration, generator, etc...) and associate them to the material name bindings instead. Using this approach, the work could be done when the Material name binding is created (i.e., as part of the map precache procedure).
  • Thanks everyone for the answers. Now what's the console command for vsync? I just realized it's disabled by default and I'd like to have it enabled like I did with 1.8.6, maybe that would help?

I also noticed that I'm not getting any radiosity even though it's already set in the menu. Is this normal?
  • Thanks everyone for the answers. Now what's the console command for vsync? I just realized it's disabled by default and I'd like to have it enabled like I did with 1.8.6, maybe that would help?
    At present, vsync cannot be changed from within Doomsday. For now you will need to change this via your video driver.
    I also noticed that I'm not getting any radiosity even though it's already set in the menu. Is this normal?
    Ensure that "fakeradio" is enabled and shadow darkness is set to a suitable value, e.g., 1.2
  • Thanks, but Forceware's vsync switch has no effect on Doomsday :? Fakeradio is enabled and working at 1.2 by default, but I had to change the value to something much higher in order to see a difference. It's like 1.8.6's radiosity effect was somehow stronger.