The case of the disappearing Yagisan.

edited 2006 Jul 1 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>Yagisan</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the category: Blog.</i>

Most posts here are an update on what has been done. This one is different. This post is about why somethings have not been done - namely everything I said I would do.
When I started volunteering for some of the work here I had lots of free time. Starting a few weeks ago, I began getting significantly less free time because of real life pressures. As some of you may know, I'm self-employed, married and with small children. Some months ago, whilst my wife was giving birth to our second child, the hospital made a mistake that (temporarily we hope) crippled her. As a result I had to reduce my working time to look after her and the children. This did not bode well for my business, and my reduced availablity had customers turn elsewhere. In short the business tanked about 4 weeks ago taking the last of my savings with it.

Since then I've been tring to kick-start the business back to life, without much success. Being realistic, It's quite likely I will need to work for someone else again. Because of that, I've enrolled myself in University to try and give myself an edge in the market. I've now got 3 weeks to learn as much C++ as I can before classes begin. I've negociated some exemptions, but I'm still looking @ almost 2 years of study, and I'll need to be working the whole time.

Perhaps I may be able to get some work on deng to count towards my degree, if possible I'll certainly try. I'd personally like to see bots in deng, and would happily blog on my ideas of what I would like to see in them, if others are intrested. The only catch would be, that as I am required to use C++ for all my course work, that is what any course related contibution would be in.
Because of my reduced free time, I need to make some choices. I will be reducing the amount of time I spend doing support at newdoom and jfiles so I can acheive more on my tasks with regards to deng. I will continute to run moderate #doomsday to keep it free of trolls etc, but I may not be able to provide the same level of support as I have previously. I will speak more of #doomsday in another post as there have been some changes there.
Does this mean I'm going away ? No. I'm still here, still working away. It does mean however, that I can't give an accurate time estimate of when I expect to be done on any of my tasks, as I truely don't know if I'll have time to do them on any given day.

Comments

• Very sorry to hear about your misfortunes, Yagisan. The best of luck to your family and business.

I'm going to be on vacation for the entire July this year, leaving me lots of time to work on the project. While I probably cannot help with the autotools build scripts, I can at least take a look at the Python script for building PK3s.
  • I've begun trying to implement the build scripts using cmake. This supports "native" build systems eg XCode on OSX, Visiual Studio on Windows, and Makefiles on *NIX, as well as eg Cygwin/MinGW on Windows.

It's much easier to read, maintain and extend (it took 30 minutes to make build scripts, compared to much longer for autotools), although I've run into a few snags (it FTBFS - I'm investigating why). Presuming I can get it working, I'll commit it to svn.

Thanks for your kind words Skyjake.