Beta 4 Imminent

edited 2006 May 28 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>skyjake</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the categories: Beta 4, Engine, Games, jDoom, jHeretic, jHexen, Releases, SourceForge, Version 1.9.</i>

I think it's realistic to release Beta 4 this Sunday. A list of the remaining tasks follows.

<ul>
<li>Update release notes/change log.
<li>[FIXED] There were reports of jHeretic savegame issues. Are they still occurring? I haven't been able to reproduce any yet.
<li>XG: Still some noticeable problems here due to the existing DMU implementation being incomplete. Noteably dummy object handling - Doomsday isn't checking if an object is a dummy before calling P_Callback(p). Mostly fixed / still broken?
<li>Doomsday: The background of the startup window is completely black in Windows. The text is visible and everything is else looks normal.
</ul>

After Beta 4 has been released, we should think about how the source directory reorganization should be carried out in practice. I've been considering moving development back to the trunk, since the branch that was created for polishing and stabilizing 1.9.0 was later on taken over by the Beta 4 work.

In the future, the repository would work like this:
<ul>
<li>trunk: Everyday development, Beta 5, 6, etc...
<li>branches/1.9.0-beta4: Branch created when Beta 4 released. Any quick patches needed for fatal-yet-fixable bugs can be done here without affecting the trunk.
<li>branches/1.9.0-beta5: Branch created when Beta 5 released.
<li>branches/1.9.0: Branch created when 1.9.0 final released.
<li>branches/skyjake-crazy-stuff: A private branch from the trunk for trying things out (for example).
<li>tags/1.9.0-beta4.0: Tag created when Beta 4 first released. The final 0 is the release number. Tag is done in the 1.9.0-beta4 branch, not the trunk.
<li>tags/1.9.0-beta4.1: Tag created when a patched Beta 4 is released from the 1.9.0-beta4 branch. Tag is done in the 1.9.0-beta4 branch, not the trunk.
<li>tags/1.9.0-0: Tag created when 1.9.0 final released.
<li>tags/1.9.0-1: Tag created when a patched 1.9.0 is released (if necessary).
</ul>

I think this would rationalize the repository a bit. In practice, this would mean that the current branch-1-9-0 is closed for further developement, since we'd continue working on stuff in the trunk.

Comments

• According to my testers, the Jheretic savegame crashes seem to be fixed.
  • <blockquote>Update release notes/change log.</blockquote>
    I'll start updating the change log from my local notes.
    <blockquote>Doomsday: The background of the startup window is completely black in Windows. The text is visible and everything is else looks normal.</blockquote>Since I'm on Windows I guess I'm in the best position to try and fix this. Any ideas on what might be broken?
    <blockquote>I've been considering moving development back to the trunk, since the branch that was created for polishing and stabilizing 1.9.0 was later on taken over by the Beta 4 work.</blockquote>Makes sense to me. When do you plan on making the switch?
  • <blockquote>When do you plan on making the switch?</blockquote>After Beta 4 has been released, but before we start reorganizing the sources.
  • I've just finished adding all my changes to the log for Beta4 (in SVN 3244). It could probably do with being reordered and cleaned up a bit once all the changes are in.

The light range adaptation I've deliberately omitted until Beta5.
  • I'll go ahead and add my changes to the log now.

We have approximately 24 hours before the release. Anything critical still left that should be fixed? How about that startup background on Windows?
  • <blockquote>We have approximately 24 hours before the release. Anything critical still left that should be fixed?</blockquote>
    Not that I know of. I think we can assume the jHeretic save issues are resolved, yes?
    <blockquote>How about that startup background on Windows?</blockquote>
    I've been looking into it but I've not found anything yet. What puzzles me is that we haven't touched the code for that. Perhaps because the background is now in Doomsday.PK3 - it isn't loaded in time for the startup window?

EDIT: Well, simply placing a copy of background.png in the physical Data/Graphics folder doesn't fix it. Hmm...
  • *NIX is ready to release. I should have fixed all install related bugs last night.
  • Yagisan, if you have anything to add to the changelog, please do so now.