Beta 6.9 on Windows - Hexen crashes with XCCP resource pack

edited 2011 May 4 in Technical Support
Firstly, thanks for DE guys; it's awesome. I've been playing Doom and it's successors since the original shareware release and DE kicks butt as a way of playing the old faithful games with updated graphics, sound and OS.

I've posted this as a bug on SF, but I'm hoping that somebody might be able to give me some pointers on a workaround. Basically if you take a clean Doomsday build and load 1.2 of the Hexen community resource pack, or pretty much any of the hexen packs with any models in, DE segvs loading the map. The segv seems to be caused by certain of the XCCP models (e.g. the Sapphire Wand and Destructible Tree) but I can't identify what it is about these models that upsets 6.9.

1. Is this a known issue please?
2. Is there a simple tweak to the 3D models I can try that might make them work?
3. Is it worth trying a source build?

Thanks in advance

I would include my doomsday out file, but it wont attach and it's too big to quote fully. Here's a sample:
Z_Create: New 32.0 MB memory volume.
Con_Init: Initializing the console.
Executable: Version 1.9.0-beta6.9 Apr  7 2010 (DGL).
Command line (21 strings):
  0: ..\Bin\Doomsday.exe
  1: -basedir
  2: C:\Games\Doomsday
  3: -userdir
  4: C:\Games\Doomsday\snowberry\runtime
  5: -file
  6: C:\Games\Doomsday\snowberry\addons\jXCCP.pk3
  7: -sfxchan
  8: 16
  9: -texcomp
  10: -wh
  11: 640
  12: 480
  13: -game
  14: jHexen.dll
  15: -iwad
  16: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\GameData\Doomsday\wads\HEXEN.WAD
  17: -bpp
  18: 32
  19: -v
  20: -v
Sys_InitWindowManager: Using Win32 window management.
Z_Create: New 32.0 MB memory volume.
createContext: OpenGL.
OpenGL information:
  Vendor: Intel
  Renderer: Intel 945GM
  Version: 1.4.0 - Build 7.14.10.4814
  GLU Version: 1.2.2.0 Microsoft Corporation
  Available Texture units: 8
  Maximum Texture Size: 2048
  Maximum Anisotropy: 4
  Num Texture Formats: 6
  Line Width Granularity: 0.5
  Line Width Range: 0.5...7.5
  Extensions:
    GL_ARB_depth_texture
    GL_ARB_fragment_program
    GL_ARB_multitexture
    GL_ARB_point_parameters
    GL_ARB_shadow
    GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
    GL_ARB_texture_compression
    GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
    GL_ARB_texture_env_add
    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
    GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
    GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar
    GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
    GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
    GL_ARB_vertex_program
    GL_ARB_window_pos
    GL_EXT_abgr
    GL_EXT_bgra
    GL_EXT_blend_color
    GL_EXT_blend_func_separate
    GL_EXT_blend_minmax
    GL_EXT_blend_subtract
    GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint
    GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
    GL_EXT_cull_vertex
    GL_EXT_draw_range_elements
    GL_EXT_fog_coord
    GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
    GL_EXT_packed_pixels
    GL_EXT_rescale_normal
    GL_EXT_secondary_color
    GL_EXT_separate_specular_color
    GL_EXT_shadow_funcs
    GL_EXT_stencil_two_side
    GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
    GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
    GL_EXT_texture_env_add
    GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
    GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
    GL_EXT_texture3D
    GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1
    GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat
    GL_NV_blend_square
    GL_NV_texgen_reflection
    GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap
    GL_WIN_swap_hint
  Extensions (WGL):
    WGL_ARB_buffer_region
    WGL_ARB_extensions_string
    WGL_ARB_make_current_read
    WGL_ARB_pixel_format
    WGL_ARB_pbuffer
    WGL_EXT_swap_control
DGL Configuration:
  NPOT Textures: Disabled
  Texture Compression: Enabled
  Variable Texture Anisotropy: Enabled
  Utilized Texture Units: 2
  Multisampling: DisabledcreateContext: OpenGL.
GL_Init: Initializing Doomsday Graphics Library.
  Multitexturing enabled (partial).
Sys_Init: Setting up machine state.
Sys_Init: Initializing keyboard, mouse and joystick.
:
LoadImage: C:\Games\Doomsday\data\jhexen\models\HUD\Bloodscourge\bloodscourge_flash_2.png (256x256)
Zip_Read: C:\Games\Doomsday\snowberry\addons\jXCCP.pk3: 'C:\Games\Doomsday\Data\jHexen\Models\HUD\Bloodscourge\Bloodscourge_Flash_3.png' (13035 bytes)
LoadImage: C:\Games\Doomsday\data\jhexen\models\HUD\Bloodscourge\bloodscourge_flash_3.png (256x256)

Map 1 (1): WINNOWING HALL

Con_Busy: Was busy for 4.89 seconds.
Sfx_Cache: Caching sound 103 (WIND).
Zip_Read: C:\Games\Doomsday\data\doomsday.pk3: 'C:\Games\Doomsday\data\graphics\radiooo.pcx' (1169 bytes, deflated)
Zip_Read: C:\Games\Doomsday\data\doomsday.pk3: 'C:\Games\Doomsday\data\graphics\radiooo.pcx' (1169 bytes, deflated)
LoadImage: C:\Games\Doomsday\data\graphics\radiooo.pcx (64x64)
Zip_Read: C:\Games\Doomsday\data\doomsday.pk3: 'C:\Games\Doomsday\data\graphics\radioco.pcx' (2989 bytes, deflated)
Zip_Read: C:\Games\Doomsday\data\doomsday.pk3: 'C:\Games\Doomsday\data\graphics\radioco.pcx' (2989 bytes, deflated)
LoadImage: C:\Games\Doomsday\data\graphics\radioco.pcx (64x64)
Zip_Read: C:\Games\Doomsday\data\doomsday.pk3: 'C:\Games\Doomsday\data\graphics\radiocc.pcx' (4306 bytes, deflated)
Zip_Read: C:\Games\Doomsday\data\doomsday.pk3: 'C:\Games\Doomsday\data\graphics\radiocc.pcx' (4306 bytes, deflated)
LoadImage: C:\Games\Doomsday\data\graphics\radiocc.pcx (64x64)
Zip_Read: C:\Games\Doomsday\data\doomsday.pk3: 'C:\Games\Doomsday\data\graphics\radiooe.pcx' (3125 bytes, deflated)
Zip_Read: C:\Games\Doomsday\data\doomsday.pk3: 'C:\Games\Doomsday\data\graphics\radiooe.pcx' (3125 bytes, deflated)
LoadImage: C:\Games\Doomsday\data\graphics\radiooe.pcx (64x64)
Dir_ChDir: Succeeded: C:\Games\Doomsday\snowberry\runtime\
Segmentation Violation

Con_Shutdown: Shuting down the console...

Comments

• try deleting your runtime folder that might help and i will see if i get the same thing.
  • Thanks for the reply. Tried deleting the runtime directory - still get the segv :(
  • well i can run it all be it with out the XCC witch i can't find a dl for in on the main site and it's more upto date then the other pack
  • The latest XCCP pack I could find can be downloaded from here:
    http://cainx.free.fr/Jhexen/Xccp/deus-ex_jXCCP_v1.20.rar
    Which packs if any were you loading?
  • the JXRP and i will test with the XCC and thanks for it and now have you loaded the game with out the XCC and not have the segv
  • Yes I have tried without; it only segvs with XCC.
  • now are you trying to load the rar file or did you take out the pk3 and put it into the addon folder as it works for me
  • I unpacked the rar into a folder, then used the addons + button in snowberry, which copies it to the addons folder. Can you post me a link to the version of jXRP you're using, so that I can try that too please? It's not on the addons page.
  • it's on the source forge page and i never use the addon+ i always put it in there my self as it might put it in the wrong place for vista it might put it in documents\doomsday frontend\addons wile it may work it needs to be in C:/.../Doomsday/snowberry/addons
  • Thanks, I had found that pack.

Now how's this for bizarre. My main machine is a laptop running XP and Intel graphics. That's the one that segvs. I tried the same on the kid's Windows 7 desktop with ATI graphics and the level loads fine. I suspect the issue is a conflict with my specific adapter. Odd that everything else (Doom, Doom2, Heretic et al) seems to work OK.

Just to check, when you get a successful load are you starting as a mage? The mage's sapphire wand seems to be one focus of the problems.
  • i like the mage and that was the first one i loaded and everything looks good and now i susspect that your problem could be with the intel gfx.