How to download WAD files to on a MAC

edited 2011 Feb 3 in DOOM
Hey, I am completely new at this and not very savvy about macs, but a die hard fan of the original doom series.

I have downloaded the doomsday engine for mac and it tells me I need to have the wad files to play.

My mac is an OSX leopard processor.

questions:

1. What is a .wad file?
2. I own the doom collectors edition, but can I download its wad files to a mac?
3. Is there anywhere online where I can download the wad files?
4. When I do download the wad files, do I have to have them saved in the doomsday engine folder?

many thanks if you can help me!

Comments

• eewrez wrote:
    1. What is a .wad file?
    A .wad file is the archive format used by DOOM and various other games to store resources like maps, graphics and sounds. If you want to know more, a good place to start would be the DOOM wiki
    2. I own the doom collectors edition, but can I download its wad files to a mac?
    I'm quite sure it is possible to extract the necessary files on a Mac but as I don't use one, I can't be of more help.
    3. Is there anywhere online where I can download the wad files?
    Yes, you can legally obtain them by purchasing the game as a digital download.
    4. When I do download the wad files, do I have to have them saved in the doomsday engine folder?
    You can do that (e.g., put doom2.wad in the doomsday/data/jdoom/ directory) or you can specify the location of your wad files on the command line (using the -iwad option), or using the Doomsday Engine Frontend.
  • The wad files are named doom2.wad, doom.wad, tnt.wad and plutonia.wad. They are somewhere on the disk.