Ultimate Doom freezes

edited 2011 Jan 26 in Technical Support
h,

i have Doom CE and DLed latest 1.9.0 beta 6.9 and all addons for Doomsday. Ultimate Doom freezes randomly. Sometimes takes minutes to happen, sometimes at the beginning of the 1st level. Doom 2 and Final Doom are OK.
Another strange behavior is the awful tearing. I enabled vsync in the Gl setup of my videocard but still. For example Halo and other games with DX or GL has no tearing. Even Quake GL ports are good. Doomsday and Postal 2 the only games are tearing.
There are no freezes nor tearing on 1.8.6 DX or GL.

Win XP, C2D 2.66, 2GB ram, Intel 950 GMA

Comments

• Firstly, lets look at the vsync issue. Are you certain you are using Doomsday 1.9.0-Beta6.9 ? I ask because there was a known problem with vsync defaulting to off on Windows, in versions prior to 1.9.0-Beta6.8. On my dev machine (spec is on my user-profile) vsync is working correctly for me.

As for the other issue, it sounds very much like a well known problem with SDL_mixer.
  • Tried OpenAL and DirectSound too. Both freezes the same way (+no music). And i figured out Doom 2 also freezes but not as often as Doom 1.
    Once i fired up Ultimate Doom with DirectSound then no freezes,tearing is gone too. Then quit. Loaded Doom 2. Resulting in tearing and freeze in 10 sec. Tearing also back since then...

ps: after freezing i push windows key, esc and things like that then PC restarts in one minute or two. during the "freeze" the music keeps playing (with SDL_mixer) until restart... not even ctrl-alt-del pops up any menu or whatever.