Texture packs, custom WADs and load order

I'm playing through Eternal Doom III, which replaces a few of the Doom II textures. I've also got the DHTP running.

The problem is that, regardless of the addon load order, the WAD's textures are overridden by the DHTP. At best, it's just ugly; at worst, I've got solid walls in place of fences (extremely frustrating with a chaingunner or archvile on the other side...).

Short of disabling DHTP altogether, is there any way around this?

Comments

• until someone comes up with a real answer (I don't have one), maybe just move those overwriting textures out of the dhtp, or copy the dhtp into an eternal3 specific pack, and then remove the overwriting textures. I'm not sure how to manipulate loading order of addons
  • Thanks for the tip :)

That fixed some of the textures, but not all of them... Some are still being replaced; others are there, but stretched beyond recognition.

I'm having a tough time understanding how DHTP replaces anything at all, because the file names don't seem to correlate. Doom 2 has textures called wolf1, wolf2, etc., but the DHTP replacements are called zzwolf1, zzwolf2, etc., and the numbers don't even match up (and I can't find any kind of metadata in the DHTP .pk3 which might dictate this mapping). Running Eternal3, these zzwolf* textures replace most of the cargo* textures, and Map 04 ends up covered in distorted Nazi propaganda instead of cargo crates...
    Psychikon wrote:
    I'm not sure how to manipulate loading order of addons
    You can right-click anywhere in the addon list, and it'll give you the option to change the load order. Doesn't seem to be doing much good though.

EDIT: DHTP adds a checkbox under Settings -> Addons, labelled "Enable external patches with pwads"... Unchecking it appears to simply disable the whole mod when a PWAD is loaded. So it looks like this is probably a known issue, and possibly one with no solution...
  • The "wolfX" graphics you refer to are simply the patches used to make the textures, rather than the actual textures. The TEXTUREx lump "creates" (to keep it simple) the textures from these patches.

Many older Doom mods replace original textures rather than adding new ones. Currently Dday has no way to detect such textures. It is planned, as is my understanding, though.

That checkbox has always existed in Kickstart and Snowberry.
  • Hires textures have always worked this way. They are supposed to be used in place of those included in WADs - that is their purpose. If you want to play a mod that uses custom textures then you should disable the hires texture pack(s).
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Hires textures have always worked this way. They are supposed to be used in place of those included in WADs - that is their purpose. If you want to play a mod that uses custom textures then you should disable the hires texture pack(s).
    This is user-hostile. IMO you should always use the texture from the last file loaded where it's present, as PrBoom+ and various ZDooms do.
  • How is that user-hostile? I merely pointed out the way that feature works presently and the logic behind its use.

We are aware of the shortcomings in that approach and are in the process of doing something about it.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    How is that user-hostile?
    I mean that I have to disable hi-res packs, depending on whether wad I want to play contains texture replacements or not.
  • Ah OK. Yeah, its an inherent problem with that method when used in this way.
  • Vermil wrote:
    The "wolfX" graphics you refer to are simply the patches used to make the textures, rather than the actual textures. The TEXTUREx lump "creates" (to keep it simple) the textures from these patches.
    Ah, OK. But how does Doomsday know to use the zzwolf* patches instead? I don't see any lumps, config files or metadata of any kind inside the DHTP, so I'm baffled as to how Doomsday has even heard of these files, let alone how it knows where to put them.
    Vermil wrote:
    That checkbox has always existed in Kickstart and Snowberry.
    I think the checkbox itself is added by DHTP (in the latest version of Snowberry, at least), though the functionality behind it is built-in.
  • Vermil wrote:
    The "wolfX" graphics you refer to are simply the patches used to make the textures, rather than the actual textures. The TEXTUREx lump "creates" (to keep it simple) the textures from these patches.
    Ah, OK. But how does Doomsday know to use the zzwolf* patches instead? I don't see any lumps, config files or metadata of any kind inside the DHTP, so I'm baffled as to how Doomsday has even heard of these files, let alone how it knows where to put them.
    ZZWOLF** are NOT patches in Doom2.wad, they're _textures_; WOLF** are patches. ZZWOLF** textures are replaced with DHTP's data/jdoom/textures/zzwolf**.png files - as simple as that.