3d decor issue patch

edited 2010 Oct 8 in General
hey doom commmunity,

most who use the 3d models paks (hexen,doom, and heretic) may notice that the decor models (statues, candles, etc.) face "the wrong way" (especially hexen where all the gargoyles face 1 direction). Well i started making "patch" wads in doom builder where the models face the "correct" direction for a more "believable" world. Im almost done with Hexen and plan to do all the games D.E. supports.

DaniJ - I think D.E is the best source port and would like to contribute to the doom community these "pwads", can i place links to them once there done here in the forums? and where would be the best site to upload them?

BTW my D.E. setup is -

doomsday 1.8.6 -
high texture packs for all games (way cool)
detailed UI's (very nice)
sycrafts soundtracks (Rock ON!)
and 3d models paks but only for decors, weapon and ammo pick up and Projectiles. (sprites are all 2d still - IMO best way to play id games) give it a try

Comments

• Whilst I and the rest of the dengteam appreciates your compliments, I'm not the one who can grant you the right to redistribute any altered "patch wads". Conceptually you have my blessing (although we do intend to address the problem algorithmically at some point, in the port itself) but it depends on the wishes of the individual authors of the originals.

Something we most certainly can't allow here is distribution of copies of the original IWADs or any copyrighted materials contained within them.
  • thanks for the quick reply and heads up DaniJ.
    yeah it did come to mind about legal issues and stuff. Great to hear that there are plans to fix the issue in future ports. D.E. just gets better and better =P

i finished the hexen "pwad" and its not bad if i .... =P (although some decor models are still "missing'..?) and plan on doing the rest even if its for myself. (as a hobbie.... lots to learn)

isnt there a way to pass on the wad as a pwad, meaning it needs the original to run, like doom levels pwads?

once again thanks to u guys for the sweet engine and add-ons

("missing" decor models - winged statue, candle with web, bloodscourge piece 2, corpse (sleeping), yoricks statue,
    goblet (spilled), and hanging bucket (ha) .... any help on where i can find these? tnks

can get doom slide-skyboxes pak to work =( ... any out there for heretic and Hex?
  • You might be able to generate an actual patch file itself for the wad for anyone who actually wants to use it, but then that would create inconsistencies between games and would have to be saved as a separate version of the IWAD. Since it wouldn't have any data from the original IWAD, it wouldn't be illegal to pass around, the only thing that might be a question would be actually modifying the IWAD itself with the patch, but it's not like you're invading houses and patching other peoples' wads, right? I don't know how that works, but I think it can be done like that, can't it?
  • on the subject of a decor light patch, I wonder if DaniJ or Psychikon can give some advice on the issue discussed here: http://dengine.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=439&start=11
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Whilst I and the rest of the dengteam appreciates your compliments, I'm not the one who can grant you the right to redistribute any altered "patch wads". Conceptually you have my blessing (although we do intend to address the problem algorithmically at some point, in the port itself) but it depends on the wishes of the individual authors of the originals.

Something we most certainly can't allow here is distribution of copies of the original IWADs or any copyrighted materials contained within them.
    I think nobody will complain if you will distribte pwad with THINGS lumps only. I know that vanilla Doom can load such pwads; don't know about hexen or Doomsday.
  • I made PWADs for DOOM (II, final, and Hex +DD) so the original games will be needed to play the them. For the dooms games to make things faster i edited the 3d models flags for items and pick ups, they now spin like the weapons pick ups.

(Heretic is a headache to do)

I like your idea Psy about making patch files for the iwads but i also have no idea how to do that =P

Question .. once i upload them can i place the links here?