Audio package troubles

edited 2011 May 17 in DOOM
OK, so this concerns the high quality sfx and Skycraft's remix pack.

No matter what I do, I cannot get Skycraft's remix to play.

In Sdl_mixer, it reverts to the old music

OpenAL is entirely mute

Directsound has no music, but sfx are working.

As for the sfx, which I have added onto in a custom .zip extension:

Sdl_mixer plays them, but they're significantly off pitch.

Directsound plays them fine. However, no music.

Does anyone know what would get the music working? I'm running Windows xp with the latest beta (9) if that helps.

Comments

• Bump? This should probably be moved to the addon section, but answers would certainly be appreciated.
  • Bump? This should probably be moved to the addon section, but answers would certainly be appreciated.
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=333&p=2068&hilit=sycraft#p2068
    Try that post, ok? There's a suggested solution in there, but I myself don't know how to help much else, I'm sorry... :(
  • I actually got the music working by putting it in a wad file, but the problem with the sound pitch on the sfx pack still remains.
  • Hi all,
    I'm new here, but I have 190beta6.9 up and running wit lots of add ons.
    Well, to the point, here's my on-topic reaction.

1. The sfx sounds pack contains 32kHz wav files. You will find that Directsound accept these, but SDL mixer not.
    However, you probably need SDL mixer in order to play the HQ music packs.
    With directsound music is not there on my computer, anyway....
    That is why you must convert 32kHz to 44.1kHz sample frequency. This can be easily done with audacity (=freeware).
    After installation, open each of the 71 wav files, and in the lower left corner of audacity you will find a selection box "project frequency" - choose 441000, and then export each file in wav format (16 bits standard, maybe 24 bits might also work).
    That solved the slow and low sfx for me anyway. SDL mixer works okay!

2. With the music packs, open the pk3 files first! You can rename them .zip and then rename them again .pk3 later on.
    Look in winzip or another archiver program for the relative paths of the files first!
    If this path is anything other than data/jdoom/music then it will NOT work.

3.Same for the sound effects: if you make your own .pk3 file, make a zip first, and place your newly exported sfx wav files into a newly made directory structure data/jdoom/sfx.
    Place your new zip file at the root of this directory structure, and add the folder data (and also the files in it) to your zip with relative path storage. If all is correct, you will see that each wav file has the right path to it: data/jdoom/sfx. Rename your zip to .pk3, and place it in your snowberry/addon folder. Done!