Instruction how to run on Linux please! :(

edited 2011 Mar 16 in Technical Support
Hello. I just installed new system Linux Ubuntu 9.10... But I don't even know how to use Doomsday on it! I can just download files in "programs sources" or something like that... But Doomsday is not running, and I can't find any running file for it! I don't even know how to install addons, or where to put wads. Can somebody give me instructions?

Comments

• you can download add kees' doomsday repo for ubuntu from here
    http://dengine.net/linux
    snowberry is not included in kees' release.

I use this command to run it
    /usr/games/doosmday -game jdoom -iwad /path/to/iwad.wad -file /path/to/addon/you/want/to/load

• Too bad there are no multiplayer servers... BTW. Thanks for instructions. :)
  • If you're running a 64-bit version of Linux, the doomsday engine won't run. (can't reload saved games).
  • Deng does run on 64 bit linux, but yes the save games will not work
  • I'm so poor a player that if I cannot reload a saved game (because I die all the time), it's the same thing as if I couldn't play it in the first place! I hope they put out a saved-game fix soon for us 64-bitters. I'm itching to replay DOOM 1, 2, TNT, Plutonia, along with Hexen, Hexen 2 and Heretic! (I also love the eduke32 port of Redneck Rampage, although it also has its own problems).

I love those old games but cannot play them on my Slackware 64-bit, v13.1, Alien Bob MultiLib (64/32), GSB (Gnome), system with awesome Compiz graphics.
  • Just a bump from someone who would very much like to run doomsday on 64bit linux.

I finally made the switch to 64bit with my new PC (a loooong overdue upgrade), and am in the process of re-assembling all my game installations and discovering what works and what doesn't. Was saddened that doomsday doesn't.

I'm on gentoo, and there are instructions about how to setup a 32bit chroot environment, so I'll be trying that out:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=2

(I assume the basic principle would be applicable to any other linux distro)

But I would much prefer to see doomsday eventually get native 64bit support.

Cheers! And thanks to the doomsday team for all their past, current, and future efforts.
  • Doomsday mostly does work on 64bit linux distros bar a couple of no-go areas like the saved game system. According to various users - as long as you don't attempt to save you can use Doomsday fully.

The saved game system is being rewritten for Beta7 and once that issue is addressed, native 64bit support will follow very soon after.
  • KuriKai wrote:
    you can download add kees' doomsday repo for ubuntu from here
    http://dengine.net/linux
    snowberry is not included in kees' release.

I use this command to run it
    /usr/games/doosmday -game jdoom -iwad /path/to/iwad.wad -file /path/to/addon/you/want/to/load

I wrote the repo line into the sources.list, but for some reason I can't find it in synaptic... :|
    I'm running on Lucid and added the repo lists for that version!

Sorry for the trouble.......
  • I don't know if it's my system or doomsday, but it still (reported this years ago!) doesn't want to remember the resolution settings.

Well, the difference in the svn builds I had laying around and the latest beta is that it "shows" the right resolution in the configuration panel, but doesn't want to set it on a clean run.

Even more so, I have to select another resolution first because the button is disabled because it "thinks" it's on the right resolution already.
  • That's a known issue GuntherDW, its not just you/your system. One workaround is to set the resolution manually via the command line.

This issue will be fixed in Beta7 when we incorporate the new Doomsday script system.
  • Just stopping by again to log another status report for 64bit doomsday efforts.

Still no joy. I never was able to get the 32bit chroot environment to be useful for anything involving X, so that pretty much killed it for games, obviously.

And according to the gentoo pkg folks, doomsday remains unusable on amd64 (http://bugs.gentoo.org/352271), and is marked as such.

I tried building it anyway, since I wanted to test everything except the savegame support, but the build itself failed:
    CMakeFiles/doomsday.dir/engine/portable/src/dgl_texture.o: In function `loadPalette':
    dgl_texture.c:(.text+0x881): undefined reference to `glColorTableEXT'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [doomsday] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/doomsday.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    emake failed

OpenGL is fully functional on the system - I build and play a ton of other stuff. But I didn't chase this error at all, so am not sure of its root cause.

Anyway, still without doomsday on 64bit linux. :( Looking forward to the day that it 'just works'.