Multiplayer: client side problems

edited 2010 Jun 7 in Technical Support
Good time of the day!

First of all I must say this is the most beautifull DOOM, Heretic and Hexen I've ever played so thank you for creating it. :)

I've got a couple of questions regarding jHexen, while playing single is ok, multiplayer has became quite unplayable.

Me and friend are using Doomsday v1.8.6. Player2 uses d3d version of Hexen because OpenGL option is not working for him.

Problem 1

For some reason several areas are unreachable or locked for second player(client). For instance there is a place to the left of an exit to Episode II (Seven Portals map). I got to that place, walked upstairs and jumped out, but Player2 couldn't. There is a wall which exists only for him. From my side it looks like he is standing behind an invisible glitch wall. Same thing happen on the secret level of first episode. Now with the elevators, he can hear them but they are standing still for him. Basically he is changing Y axis position, he even can kill monsters when elevator is up, but he couldn't get out of it, because for him it's always down. The last example: in the same secret level, I made a stairs from the water to ther top, where you appear in this level, again these stairs are only visible for me, but not for the player2. Same glitches are in the Second episode.

I'm interested in what can cause this and is there a possible solution.

Problem 2

While connecting to my server, a client suffer 6-14 CTDs.

Problem 3
I can't make kickstart to change the default memory usage. It's always 32Mb, no matter how much I put after maxzone. I solved it by starting from shortcut with a maxzone command it works ok for Hexen. But jHeretic crashes after a couple of missions(only happens when I have someone connected to my server.) This question is optional because I have a walkaround solution and I don't have crashlogs.

Really want to play Hexen in multiplayer but just now it's more or less frustrating, could please help with these problems?

Thank you in advance.

jRYU

Comments

• AFAIK multiplayer has never worked correctly in Hexen when played with Doomsday. The original game uses a peer-to-peer model and the game state management (rightly) assumes as much. Doomsday uses a client(s)+server model. The problem is that DOOM and Heretic have relatively simple game state management which pretty much works as-is under the new model. Hexen on the other hand is a bit more complex and cannot work correctly under the new model (without modification).

These problems cannot be addressed here in Technical Support. The only solution is to fix them at code level and make a new release.

Multiplayer is the focus of the Beta7 release and we will address these issues with Hexen multiplayer at that time. However I must say that at present work on Beta7 is on hold due to Real Life commitments.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    AFAIK multiplayer has never worked correctly in Hexen when played with Doomsday. The original game uses a peer-to-peer model and the game state management (rightly) assumes as much. Doomsday uses a client(s)+server model. The problem is that DOOM and Heretic have relatively simple game state management which pretty much works as-is under the new model. Hexen on the other hand is a bit more complex and cannot work correctly under the new model (without modification).

These problems cannot be addressed here in Technical Support. The only solution is to fix them at code level and make a new release.

Multiplayer is the focus of the Beta7 release and we will address these issues with Hexen multiplayer at that time. However I must say that at present work on Beta7 is on hold due to Real Life commitments.

Thanks for the answer. Pretty much thought so, that's a pity though Hexen is a great game :)

Btw may I ask what Beta7 release is? As far as I understand the upcoming release is 1.9.0 Beta 10. Is it a release for 1.8 version?

And do you have any idea what could lead to constant CTDs while trying to connect to my server?
  • jRYU wrote:
    Btw may I ask what Beta7 release is? As far as I understand the upcoming release is 1.9.0 Beta 10. Is it a release for 1.8 version?
    Beta7 is next "major" milestone on the 2.0 release roadmap.
    And do you have any idea what could lead to constant CTDs while trying to connect to my server?
    Off the top of my head, I don't no. Can you provide any more info (such as your network topology and server config)?