my modding project...

2»

Comments

• This is looking very good. You have a very distinctive style going on. Also, the critters don't look as low poly as you've got them, which is really good. Like the textures as well.
  • Heh, yea, they do work with Doomsday. But I was working this mod for Quake based engine at some point earlier (some of the images posted link to my mod profile at ModDB, which still has the Quake screenshots). Quake modding just didn't feel as comfortable as Doomsday modding :D
  • Yes, I have seen pictures and video on ModDB some time ago. Then this project was on Quake engine. I probably could not correctly translate this topic in order to understand - why this project now moved to DDay.

But in any case, I wish you good luck JCA! In my opinion - in this project turns out interesting and unusual atmosphere!
  • Looks good as your mods usally do; I wish I had your abilities.

That said, the art style is VERY similar to your old Artic Base mod IMO.
  • Ok, here comes something... Experiment with player texture and having body in the view. Still very early testing. The model should probably be split, so that the bottom part will stay down and upper part will follow player's aim..

sw_lookigotbody.jpg
  • if you can get this working then that would be awesome and is something we could apply to doom it's self and the other game that dday supports
  • Mmmh.. I decided to start a new project. The previous one sort of went back and forth in every way.. and then it just didn't go anywhere. I think I will use some of the textures I made for it in my new project.

The story/theme/etc will be something that isn't so restrictive, it's going to be some kind of mix of sci-fi, fantasy and horror. Player character is some human like being in some life/dream/death borderworld. The enemies will be something like in Doom, Quake, Blood, etc. Weapons will be some swords, modern/futuristic looking guns and maybe some fantasy magic weapons. The project has no name yet.

Well, so far I've modelled the player character and tried it in game. The player character is based on me, though I wasn't able to model the face to look enough like my face, so I just made it have a skull like face. I guess he'll have some more clothes later, but for a start maybe just these skin tight shorts :P

model_test_group.jpg

I've also made some muddy rock brick texture that could be used in some catacomb and other underground like places.

muddyrocksbricks.jpg

Edit: Here's some more work on the character... I thought I'll use the model as a zombie character too...

zombies_03_small.jpg
  • I made some promotional picture... It seems I'm going to make this project have some similarity to Abuse, as I've always wanted to play it in 3D. Though, that doesn't mean I've abandoned my initial idea for this project.

Text link to the promotional image as it was too tall
  • I got this new project's player model textured. I gave up on trying to bake the texture from a highpoly model, it just was overly time consuming and final result was distorted, under detailed crap. So I thought to draw the texture instead. Made it in a few days and the result feels good.

Self illuminated:
    skelearmor_textured_self_illum.jpg

Bump & Specular maps, I guess I could bake some of this into the base texture, or just make it a bit brighter:
    skelearmor_textured_bump_spec.jpg
  • I've done some textures a while ago, and then I did some new player model as the previous one sort of sucked.

Don't know yet if I will use these vivid color textures, or if I make them darker/desaturated, or if I use some other colors. Vivid color would be nice in deathmatch game, but in singleplayer/cooperative it would be nicer to have darker/desaturated color.
    alien_character_008.jpg

Also featuring the model.. but with some old simple texture. The level textures are 512x512 and have detail and shiny textures.
    stone_metal_03.jpg
  • You are amazing at creating models, I agree with you about bright colours for multilayer and desaturated for single player
  • Well, it's been a while. I wasn't exactly happy about the texture on that model, nor needing to animate fingers. So I made something simpler. I think now I finally have a player model that I'm 100% satisfied, only took me 4 years. With this rate, I'll have 10 more characters in 40 years... heh. Hopefully I can speed up things a bit.

wraqbysm_space_ninja_003.jpg

wraqbysm_space_ninja_005.jpg

I've also modelled a katana for him.. but it's pretty long and would look/feel strange if it was used with just the A_Punch and A_Saw actions...

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/wip/katana_001.jpg
  • Well, this project has changed quite a bit. Trying to make really good looking stuff always seemed to fail. So I've thought to make something simpler instead, and not care so much about if it's looking perfect or not. So far this has worked nicely and I've managed to get more stuff done in a few weeks than in the past few years. I could always polish the stuff later.

The goal is to make something that feels like Doom, but is not necessarily exact copies of the original sprites/textures/etc. Some of them might be closer to the originals, while some are more different.

Here's a video of some gameplay, models and sprites that I've done so far:

The Impmost Dens

Imp:
    imp_001.jpg

Combat Rifle (Shotgun):
    shotgun_001.jpg

And some other models:
    Arch-Vile & Imp wireframes
    Fist = Lance
    Pistol = Personal Defence Weapon