What are the essential addons?

edited 2009 Oct 6 in Addons for DOOM
Just want to play doom looking the best it possibly can, and was wondering what some essential addons would be... I have the 3d model pack...

Comments

• Well, "best looking" is a relative concept. I can't stand those horrid 3D models. Ruins the feel of the game for me. I only use the texture pack and music mix addons they have listed on the site.

By the way, I just discovered this "doomsday engine" thing yesterday. I never really had a chance to play Doom when growing up (though I did play the hell out of id's Commander Keen :) ). Just wanted to thank the creators for putting this thing together. The things you implemented makes the experience much more satisfying. Beats the hell out of trying to play with the limitations of the original DOS version.
  • Well, at least there are people, who can pay with models (like me :) ), since there are no alternatives at all and I respect modelmaker`s work.
    So, for me the essential are - hi-res texture pack, resource pack, environment pack and jdui :)
  • Ok thanks guys, I don't have the environment pack
  • I guess I'm the mixed between you guys. Either everything stays the way it is or everything is customized, so I keep 2 separated versions of the games. If I want to play the original I'll play with Doom 95, and with jDoom I'll play with jDUI, jDRP, jDTP, jDEP, some other minor addons, and my own customized music pack with CD quality remix songs.

I have to say I slightly prefer the customized version but I also realized that without the original games, there would be no customized versions.
  • Being completely out of the loop of jDoom development for several years, I am looking to see what is new with the PK3 addons so far. My bunch of PK3s containing 3d model stuff are dated 2/7/2005. I'd love to see what was added since my last fiddling around with the source port. :)
  • Mr. Chris wrote:
    I'd love to see what was added since my last fiddling around with the source port. :)

What is not funny is - except slight (as for me, cause I am visuals fan) engine development, and maybe (if you have missed it somehow back then) JDRP 1.1 alpha models - nothing really new was added.

All we have now is result of mix-n-shake of old models/textures/music.
  • I know for a fact that some new textures were made, actaully a lot. I made some, also made the hi-res HUD face. :P ~ freak'n 42 frames? I'm never going to do that again shwoo..heh
    But not all textures have been re-made or "re-re-made", some of which do not match with others as they should, but give it time, give it time.
  • The engine rewrite, which started in 2005, essentially caused Dday's community to drop off the face of the Earth.

Many of the beta releases made since then, up until the recent Beta6.x series, had game breaking bugs; particularly the Beta5.x series which was soo buggy that nearly all the Doom, Heretic and HeXen games couldn't be launched or even played through fully.

In the new Beta6.x series, all the games are once again fully playable, though there are still several minor issues and a few disabled features (XG, Multiplayer, Demos etc), that may only be noticed by the more knowledable player. As such, this has revived the community somewhat and maybe as those disabled features and minor issues are fixed, the community will return to its former glory.
  • Well, I didn't say that everything was completely frozen. But taking into account how many years have passed... Some textures (how many, several dozens?), no new models at all, and slight changes in the visuals of the engine.

And I understand that I have no right to complain, cause I didn't bring anything into development myself - I am only a consumer. I just want to state the fact that a number of people, who can and WANT to add something valuable into Doom's enhancement, is noticeably lower than earlier.

And because of that - a HUGE, H.U.G.E. THANK YOU to DaniJ, Jaakko, KuriKai and Yagisan for their efforts.
  • What I don't understand is why the newest version gives me subtle static using the Sycraft soundtracks as I am using a brand new desktop to diddle around with, while ZDoom based engines give crystal clear under the same music..and I am using a Realtek onboard thingie.

Speaking of addons, I found that awesome detail textures WAD file but don't know who or how to use it with the recent version (my last Doomsday.exe was dated Jan 9th, 2007)

Mr. Rocket: Where is this higher resolution face you speak of? I used an older UI PK3 in my old installation but never knew there was a newer version.
  • Thats because we now use SDL_mixer for audio playback by default and frankly, the quality is nowhere near as good as FMOD (as used by Zdoom).
  • So THAT'S why :P Why phase out FMOD in the first place? Why not have both FMOD and SDL as options? I have to use "Default" option for sound but when I shoose SDL_Mixer, I get no audio at all.

Anyhow, I found some interesting files in my old JDoom installation before I picked out the interesting bits and nuked the rest..one involved those detail texture files I mentioned earlier. It includes detail.wad and detailtextures.pk3. I don't know if there is an updated version for this since I couldn't find it on the wiki or the forums.

What else I found was the JDEP in a ZIP file, which the files in the archive are all dated to late 2003 (August-November). If one is interested, they could always note me if it is of interest (or if there was an update to the JDEP).
  • Mr. Chris wrote:
    Why phase out FMOD in the first place?
    It was removed by yagisan due to the fact it is only available under an incompatible license.
    Why not have both FMOD and SDL as options?
    That is the current plan.
    What else I found was the JDEP in a ZIP file, which the files in the archive are all dated to late 2003 (August-November). If one is interested, they could always note me if it is of interest (or if there was an update to the JDEP).
    The jDEP has since been repackaged and re-released and is now available from http://files.dengine.net